or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The great suit style is of Germany my friends
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The great suit style is of Germany my friends - Page 2

post #16 of 81
I can't help but think of Hermann Goering's foppishness.
post #17 of 81
There is good reason only strange people (foppish neo-cons) would wear this sort of thing in northern Germany. For many Germans (including myself) this sort of attire stands for reactionary, nationalist, backward retardation.

This does not mean that there aren't occasions where I would think it acceptable to wear a Trachten type of outfit - and I don't mean the hellish Oktoberfest.
Friends recentely had a wedding in a very small but beautiful Austrian village and Tracht was the dresscode for one of the occasions.
post #18 of 81
I spent a week in Germany on business recently. Business suits as everywhere else in the world with the exception of several 3 button single breasted with vests in black. Never seen that in NAmerica or Europe. Perhaps it was a Berlin thing. -Moose
post #19 of 81
I actually like it, please post more examples. I'd certainly wear it while eating reindeer.
post #20 of 81
This is one of the funnier posts I have seen. What fabulous German-English!

You see this kind of stuff in Bavaria in southern Germany with some frequency... Munich, Augsburg, etc. Almost exclusively on older folks. It looks good. I like it. There's nothing wrong with wearing the traditional dress of your country.
post #21 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
This is one of the funnier posts I have seen. What fabulous German-English!

You see this kind of stuff in Bavaria in southern Germany with some frequency... Munich, Augsburg, etc. Almost exclusively on older folks. It looks good. I like it. There's nothing wrong with wearing the traditional dress of your country.

You are right of course: There is nothing wrong with wearing this for Germans - just like there is nothing wrong with Americans wearing white sheets with pointy, matching hats. Perfectly acceptable.
post #22 of 81
The last scheisse film I saw, one of the actors had a similar outfit.
post #23 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilmacher View Post
You are right of course: There is nothing wrong with wearing this for Germans - just like there is nothing wrong with Americans wearing white sheets with pointy, matching hats. Perfectly acceptable.

I probably shouldn't even get sucked into this, but white sheets with pointy, matching hats are not an example of "traditional dress." They are an example of a goofy uniform.

It's not like people in Germany are walking around in Waffen SS uniforms.
post #24 of 81
I think a lot of Germans were raised to believe that too much cultural pride was a direct link to bad things in the past so many would associate something like this with nazism.
post #25 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post
I think a lot of Germans were raised to believe that too much cultural pride was a direct link to bad things in the past so many would associate something like this with nazism.

Yes, and I believe that similar thoughts prevent a lot of "progressive" people from dressing like gentlemen: they think that dressing properly is associated with "capitalism" and just for bankers.
post #26 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilmacher View Post
You are right of course: There is nothing wrong with wearing this for Germans - just like there is nothing wrong with Americans wearing white sheets with pointy, matching hats. Perfectly acceptable.
I think you are referring to the Spanish.
post #27 of 81
I've seen these when I was in Munich and Regensberg. There is a store off Marianplatz that had one I almost bought ( a lot more mellow- tone on tone) Even I couldn't pull it off for work here in the US though. Went with the Federbusch instead.
post #28 of 81
This is something I would find acceptable if you wnt to wear Tracht:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Unique-Brioni-Spo...QQcmdZViewItem
post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Loden of Germany View Post
I hope you are not licking your chops too aggressively for not being able to purchase such a superior model in your country, as you might make a muscle stain in your tongue.

That shit is gold.
post #30 of 81
Maybe it's the lighting that makes it look more like Hunter green than Loden green, but I really like Loden Green with that kind of mid 'Oxford' Grey.

A very nice colour combo in my book.

More?

LL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The great suit style is of Germany my friends