or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Who owns a kiton suit on this forum???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who owns a kiton suit on this forum???

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
i'm new to the site and admittedly learned of it through the nytimes article.  i was wondering how many members actually own at least one suit from Kiton?  and for those who do own one, why not take that 5k to Savile Row or some such place and get something bespoke???[b]
post #2 of 29
Quote:
i'm new to the site and admittedly learned of it through the nytimes article.  i was wondering how many members actually own at least one suit from Kiton?  and for those who do own one, why not take that 5k to Savile Row or some such place and get something bespoke???[b]
I don't own one, but I know why many people from this forum would buy a Kiton, rather than spend $5k on bespoke. One of the top 'commandments' on this forum is to never pay retail price, when possible. It is easy to get Kiton suits on ebay, and even at end-of-season sales, for around $1,500 or less. $1,500 won't really get you a custom suit, unless it's from one of the Hong Kong tailors (correct me if I'm wrong). At that price, it's quite a good deal. I'm sure there are some members here who can afford full retail, and do pay that, but most of us tend to shop sales and etc.
post #3 of 29
Thread Starter 
if you can get it for 1500, then i see your point. i, personally, would be about as skeptical in buying a 1500 dollar suit on ebay as i would be about buying a plasma TV. not to say i would never do it, but i'd be a little uneasy. anyway, let me rephrase my question though. who in here is really walking into barney's or the kiton shop and actually paying 5k for off an off the rack suit and why??
post #4 of 29
I own two, neither of which I paid anything approaching $5k for. Both were bought new, from major retailers. Bespoke on Savile Row would cost very much more. Not only are there the costs associated with the actual bespeaking of a suit, there are travel and lodging costs, the incidental costs of any trip to London, etc. So the proposed $5k for bespoke is really closer to $10k, and that will buy me a few more Kiton's (or manufacturer of my choice) several dozen shirts and ties, a few good pair of shoes and a few weeks on the beach in Hawaii with a bit left over.
post #5 of 29
Quote:
if you can get it for 1500, then i see your point. i, personally, would be about as skeptical in buying a 1500 dollar suit on ebay as i would be about buying a plasma TV. not to say i would never do it, but i'd be a little uneasy. anyway, let me rephrase my question though. who in here is really walking into barney's or the kiton shop and actually paying 5k for off an off the rack suit and why??
When you learn to spell and use capitalization in your posts, perhaps you will also have learned something of life and will be then able to answer your own question.
post #6 of 29
Thread Starter 
wow, that was unnecessary. i'm not so concerned about capitalization on forums or in instant messages--this isn't my senior thesis. do you never make typos?? i was just in barney's recently and saw kiton suits breaking the 5k mark, so that's not a number i made up. if you find your stuff on ebay or on sale, that's cool and that's another discussion. i was simply wondering why someone who has the ability and desire to spend so much on a suit wouldn't opt for the bespoke. i would think that would be a valid question in a place like this, tom.
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
if i were to answer my own question, i'd say i'd spend the money on bespoke rather than ready to wear. that's why i posed the question to others.
post #8 of 29
Quote:
wow, that was unnecessary.  i'm not so concerned about capitalization on forums or in instant messages--this isn't my senior thesis.  do you never make typos??  i was just in barney's recently and saw kiton suits breaking the 5k mark, so that's not a number i made up.  if you find your stuff on ebay or on sale, that's cool and that's another discussion.  i was simply wondering why someone who has the ability and desire to spend so much on a suit wouldn't opt for the bespoke.  i would think that would be a valid question in a place like this, tom.
Ebay is definitely a skill. Many are very hesitant to use it, because they are not comfortable in buying something sight-unseen, sending money to the seller before receiving the item, and hoping it doesn't get lost in the mail. You really need to take a month or two, check ebay frequently and make note of the good sellers, make note of which items are frequently faked, and learn how to use all the features. Once you do all of those things, it can be a great experience, and you can get some amazing deals. I've bought (and sold) many things on ebay, and my only bad experiences have been getting charged extra for shipping, having a few non-paying buyers, and having a shirt take 3 weeks for delivery. To me, that's worth it in order to get some excellent deals. Two tips: Make sure to ask for extra measurments if they aren't provided. Many sellers, for example, just list neck and sleeve sizes for shirts. I always email and ask for chest size, and total length. Also, it helps to shop around at stores where you can't afford the items at full retail, and make a mental note of what items you really like. Chances are, you will be able to find some of those items on ebay after the season is over, and you'll already know what they look like in person. Also, it's great to know the fit of certain designers, and if they tend to run large/small.
post #9 of 29
$1500 will buy you a very nice suit on ebay. I have bought a good portion of my suits on ebay and have been almost universally very happy with them. You should be able to get a nice Kiton, Brioni, or perhaps an Attolini or Borrelli NWT at that price. As I mentioned before, I spent less than $1000 on a brioni, 2 belvest, and an oxxford suit in the past month, including all the alterations to have them fit me perfectly, however, I am almost a perfect 44R in every way, so that helps... the only minor alterations I need are taking in the pants a bit and fixing the inseams.
post #10 of 29
I do not own a Kiton suit, nor an Oxxford, Brioni, Attolini, Belvest, Barbera or Lanvin for that matter.
post #11 of 29
Quote:
When you learn to spell and use capitalization in your posts, perhaps you will also have learned something of life and will be then able to answer your own question.
TomW, this was totally uncalled for. Props to @riss for refusing to stoop to TomW's level.
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Quote:
(TomW @ 29 Sep. 2004, 10:03) When you learn to spell and use capitalization in your posts, perhaps you will also have learned something of life and will be then able to answer your own question.
TomW, this was totally uncalled for. Props to @riss for refusing to stoop to TomW's level.
Now they droppin' and yellin' It's a tad bit late Master Shake and Alias had to regulate...
post #13 of 29
I have a half dozen Kiton suits and their uniqueness is the fabrics. Also, I find their silhouette most pleasing.
post #14 of 29
Thread Starter 
doesn't quite answer my question about kiton as opposed to bespoke...
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
thanks alias.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Who owns a kiton suit on this forum???