or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › formalwear pRon!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

formalwear pRon! - Page 7

post #91 of 192
I figure with the waist coat, it would be uncomfortable to have braces underneath it. I've never worn tux with waist coat, so not really sure it could be done.
post #92 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle View Post
I figure with the waist coat, it would be uncomfortable to have braces underneath it. I've never worn tux with waist coat, so not really sure it could be done.

I've never felt the braces under my waistcoat. You should give it a try, because it's nice to not have to worry about your pants slowly dropping as you walk around or dance the night away.
post #93 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle View Post
did you wear braces under the waist coat? I am in the final stage of finalizing my wedding attire too, and can't make up my mind wheather to just wear braces or too add a low waist coat.
No, I saw no reason to do so. Everything hit in the right spot, the trousers had a nice high rise, and the waistcoat appropriately covered everything.
post #94 of 192
Kind of double post...discovered that thread too lately^^.



post #95 of 192
That collar reminds me of the one Charles Ryder's father wore in Brideshead Revisited. I wouldn't mind having one like it myself.

It's really the only wing collar that looks decent with shawl lapels.
post #96 of 192
I just saw that you have a evening tailcoat, I'm in need (OK, I'm lying, for todays standards that's absolutely the last thing one can be in need^^) of some really matching trousers.
It seems that formal trousers with two stripes that are cut adequately high have become something that disappeard...any rtw sources?
If possible, I'd to avoid additional investment mtm or bespoke as that thing won't be used that often...
post #97 of 192
Mine came paired together, so that the cloth and all matches. You're correct that the proper trousers, traditionally, are full cut and very high rise. Any time you try to 'match' black it gets tricky.
post #98 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC View Post
Wedding?


You're not teh ghey?

I was surprised too. But hey--congrats, macuser. And, nice tux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle View Post
I figure with the waist coat, it would be uncomfortable to have braces underneath it. I've never worn tux with waist coat, so not really sure it could be done.

I don't think there's a real issue here. In fact, the braces are that much more important if anything. They'll keep your pants from riding down and letting your shirt stick out between your waistcoat and waistband.

Cravate Noire, that is a sweet ensemble.
post #99 of 192
Thank you Grimslade!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyquik View Post
Mine came paired together, so that the cloth and all matches. You're correct that the proper trousers, traditionally, are full cut and very high rise. Any time you try to 'match' black it gets tricky.
I was a bit unclear, with "matching" I meant that most trousers that come with evening tailcoats are cut just the same way like normal evening wear trousers, I've seen tailcoats where the waistcoat didn't cover the trousers waistband...sometimes even with the waistcoat popping out under the tailcoat several cm. Though as you mention it, I might have to be a bit lucky to find a pair of trousers that aren't only cut well, but also made of a fabric that matches the tailcoat too... At least the next event I plan to attend with white tie will be in may^^.
post #100 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade View Post
I was surprised too.
post #101 of 192
From our recent cruise:

post #102 of 192
Here's me and my better half at last weekend's Philly flower show.



Here are some goofy self-pics...





Btw, after spending the good part of the month scouring this board and blacktieguide.com putting together my ensemble, I was shocked at how little effort other guys put on black ties. About 80% of the guys had clip-ons; a lot of guys had no vest/cummerbund; lots of color matching bowties with vests/cummerbunds; oxford shoes (not even shined) or even tassled loafers with a tux!

What I finally got:

RLPL Tuxedo (1B, Peak Lapel) - at a great price at a PRL outlet
PS Grosgrain bowtie
RLPL Grosgrain Cummerbund
CT studs
Bulgari cufflinks
AE Spencers
Albert Thurston braces

Anyway, thanks to all who helped me out! The only thing I forgot was the white silk pocket square from KWang, but I left it at home.
post #103 of 192
Gumercindo, I see that beer you're hiding! :P

May I ask how much the pieces of your outfit cost..? I'd love to buy an RLPL tuxedo like that..
post #104 of 192
Yep, no way around that one!

I completely lucked out by calling the PRL outlet in Orlando. I asked if they had any tuxes in general in my size and they said "yes, but only RLPL". I was expecting to hear a price tag of $1500-2000, but it ended up being $600. It's a fantastic suit, imo.
post #105 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumercindo View Post
Btw, after spending the good part of the month scouring this board and blacktieguide.com putting together my ensemble,
I was shocked at how little effort other guys put on black ties. About 80% of the guys had clip-ons; a lot of guys had no vest/cummerbund;
lots of color matching bowties with vests/cummerbunds; oxford shoes (not even shined) or even tassled loafers with a tux!

What I finally got:

RLPL Tuxedo (1B, Peak Lapel) - at a great price at a PRL outlet
PS Grosgrain bowtie
RLPL Grosgrain Cummerbund
CT studs
Bulgari cufflinks
AE Spencers
Albert Thurston braces

Hey, you did it right, and nicely done. (Though I might argue a RLPL dinner jacket calls for at least bourbon, if not rye, and that in real glass. )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › formalwear pRon!