or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › formalwear pRon!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

formalwear pRon! - Page 2

post #16 of 192
I'll play:






The sleeves have been worked on, the whole rig needs a good pressing, and I just threw the knot on this bow tie for the picture, it's the hardest bowtie I have to tie and usually takes a few tries.

Both with vintage MOP links and studs. I vintage MOP


post #17 of 192
Love the white tie ensemble. You even got the waistcoat proportion correct! (not longer than the jacket). Those opera pumps are sweeet. I have a pair by RLPL/EG, but so far have resisted the urge to wear with my tux, instead going with the patent wholecut by BB/Peal.
post #18 of 192
Do you ever get occasion to wear the White Tie?
post #19 of 192
Thread Starter 
and....the finished product; the guy in red had a pretty nice suit, too.




post #20 of 192
Sator will not be happy with the lack of cummerbund/vest!
post #21 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
Sator will not be happy with the lack of cummerbund/vest!

What's the rule for formal? Cummerbund or vest AND suspenders? Or either/or?

Foxx, looks great.
post #22 of 192
You know, I'm not 100% sure (and too lazy to search), but I believe it's either cummberbund or vest with a SB (neither is needed for a DB, since the jacket is to be closed at all times), regardless of whether you choose to or need to wear suspenders/braces.
post #23 of 192
Thread Starter 
far as I know, a tuxedo requires braces-- which, to me rules out flat front trousers. But I went with the modern Bond route, and didn't wear a vest or cumberbund. I never unbutton the jacket during the event anyway.
post #24 of 192
You never answered my queary about why you chose not to unbutton your sleeve for this particular event (working buttons on a tux...now THAT is a gentleman!).
post #25 of 192
Thread Starter 
sorry, MrD-- I must have missed that one. I chose not to unbutton any of the sleeve buttons in an attempt to appear elegant and polished, although it would have helped set my tux apart from the sea of rentals-- so I think next time I'll be a rogue, and will unbutton.
post #26 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Foxx View Post
sorry, MrD-- I must have missed that one. I chose not to unbutton any of the sleeve buttons in an attempt to appear elegant and polished, although it would have helped set my tux apart from the sea of rentals-- so I think next time I'll be a rogue, and will unbutton.

Sad thing, the guys who are renting most likely would not notice the distiction anyway.
post #27 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Foxx View Post
far as I know, a tuxedo requires braces-- which, to me rules out flat front trousers. But I went with the modern Bond route, and didn't wear a vest or cumberbund. I never unbutton the jacket during the event anyway.
See, I was under the impression that braces were optional, and that a lot of people wore them because a) it's a classic look, and b) you can't wear a belt. I wasn't aware that they were required, especially considering that technically you're not supposed to take off your jacket. Can anyone confirm this one way or the other?
post #28 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post
Sad thing, the guys who are renting most likely would not notice the distiction anyway.
I think most people/the average person would not notice, plus they would not know the distinction (i.e. working button holes > fake). I feel that details like that are more or less a lost cause, because most people are not likely to notice, and if they do notice, they may misinterpret it as a mistake on your part, much like a missing belt on belt loop-less pants.
post #29 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post
Do you ever get occasion to wear the White Tie?

About once a year on average.
post #30 of 192
Educate yourself about classic black tie. Any and all questions pertaining to black tie can be found here. Website is the creation of a forum member.

http://www.blacktieguide.com/

In the classic black tie, braces/suspender IS required as there is otherwise no way to keep the trousers up on the true waist. There is some debate whether the braces should be white or black, however.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › formalwear pRon!