• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canali - good purchase?

houston

Reaction score
I'm looking for a basic navy suit - does this seem like the real deal? Any experience with this seller? Also, is there a difference between navy and midnight navy? Thanks in advance. Navy suit

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased a Zegna Napoli Couture navy blazer from him. Price was right and servicewas fine. I'm not sure where he gets his merchandise, though. For example, he had one Oxxford suit one day that had been hemmed, leading me to believe he gets some of his stuff from stores where people left something to be altered and never returned to pick it up. I never could figure out why someone would buy and Oxxford suit and then never go pick it up.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks like more of a gray-navy, though pictures can be deceiving. Also, I think it's odd that there's no picture of the Canali label. Also, I think the price is too high. I mean, you can get Isaia, Barbera and Oxxford suits for the same price. Nevertheless, this joeclothing guy often has high-end item auctions, with mostly satisfied customers.

houston

Reaction score
The first picture looks navy, the others are a bit hard to tell. I imagine getting the light right is not always easy - some of our sellers can probably attest to that.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lighting is a real pain ***********. I spent a LOT of hours figuring out a lighting system that didn't leave us medium rare after several hours of shooting. Getting the proper lumens, white balance and CRI in your lighting is not easy and when we are shooting for the evening it is somewhat comical - every moth within 12 miles attacks the office window and 20-30 house geckos line up for the buffet... they keep growing and I may have to start ebaying lizard hides.

He needs to adjust his camera for one thing and get the exposure right - again, this is the sort of thing that requires you to be an anal retentive moron to really get right (That was a confession, not an insult toward anyone else)

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lighting is a real pain ***********.  I spent a LOT of hours figuring out a lighting system that didn't leave us medium rare after several hours of shooting.  Getting the proper lumens, white balance and CRI in your lighting is not easy and when we are shooting for the evening it is somewhat comical - every moth within 12 miles attacks the office window and 20-30 house geckos line up for the buffet... they keep growing and I may have to start ebaying lizard hides.

He needs to adjust his camera for one thing and get the exposure right - again, this is the sort of thing that requires you to be an anal retentive moron to really get right (That was a confession, not an insult toward anyone else)
Photographing, with detail, dark gray, navy, or black suits is a real B.

My photos always turn out sort of grainy, and don't show a lot of detail. At home, I use my dad's Tungsten lights - one aimed at the garment, and one as fill off to the side.

When I'm shooting at my place up at school, it's worse. Flourescent lights. I usually wait for some good afternoon light and just turn the flash off on my camera.

BjornH

Reaction score
My photos always turn out sort of grainy, and don't show a lot of detail.  At home, I use my dad's Tungsten lights - one aimed at the garment, and one as fill off to the side.
Hey, pretty advanced lighting. I would have killed for this in my early 20s.

One reason for the graininess could be that the ISO setting on your camere is set too high (I'm assuming it's digital). If it's set too high then you'll get noise from the extra amplification of the signals from the CCD which can show up as scattered light pixels, visible on the dark parts. If the ISO setting is set to Auto then the camera will pump up the volume itself when the light is low. Try adding more light and using a lower ISO.

B

coolhunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kabert
This looks like more of a gray-navy, though pictures can be deceiving. Also, I think it's odd that there's no picture of the Canali label. Also, I think the price is too high. I mean, you can get Isaia, Barbera and Oxxford suits for the same price. Nevertheless, this joeclothing guy often has high-end item auctions, with mostly satisfied customers.
Nice items from joeclothing, I agree. He doesn't like doing refunds though. Make sure you choose well. He also delivers often late. Two recent suits I bought took 6 or 8 weeks for the first one to arrive, 4 weeks for the second one. And the second one I returned but he hasn't refunded my $600 yet. So while his rating is good he seems to play with the feedback timeframe and deliveries so you can't claim either a chargeback from ebay or leave negative feedback.

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
I never could figure out why someone would buy and Oxxford suit and then never go pick it up.

The salesperson or alteration tailor may have made a mistake with the length.

I got trousers from Aquascutum that were pinned to my chosen length; however, they came back shorter then I wanted. When I was choosing grey trousers; they had two designs and one were already hemmed, I asked for a pair that had an unfinished hem. The salesperson said the customer did not want the trousers because someone (salesperson or tailor) made a mistake with the length.
This has put me off getting anything from them that needs altering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads