• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference between suit jacket and sport coat

minimalist

Reaction score
The title says it all, I believe...

As someone who is quite young and has little knowledge about the ways of mens colthing... please explain where the difference is. I wear the jacket of my black two-buttoned suit quite often with denim... besides of the most of you probably considering that fact alone as a no go, is it particulary bad to do so with a suit jacket instead of a sports coat? If so, why?
shog[1].gif

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Among other differences, sportcoats are usually made with heavier and more durable fabrics such as tweeds and twills.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can do it.

Jeans and a suit coat is a "young and trendy" look, many years old now.

As you are dressing down the suit jacket with jeans it really doesn't matter.

If you are willing to dress inside the tradition correctness then you shoud wear a sports coat with odd trousers.

main differences ? Sports coats are usually made with textured cloth, horn or metallic buttons, sometimes cut a little roomier to accomodate a sweater inside.

For classic traditional sports coats, think of a blue blazer and gold/brass buttons, or a blue sports coat made with textured cloth and horn buttons, and many kinds of tweeds for the winter ( houndstooth, glenn plaid, windowpanes ) or in light wool cloth, cotton or linen for summer ( windowpanes, colorful POW ).

A suit should be more sober and plain cloth and with buttons that match the cloth, a blue suit coat will have then blue buttons as opossed to horn/brass/MOP on a sports coat

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The obvious problem with this is that the suit coat gets worn out faster than the pants. Though in the case of a black suit, that's a positive benefit
smile.gif

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None of my sport coats has metal or horn buttons, I think that such buttons are only compulsory on blazers.
I believe that the only "substantial" difference between a suit jacket and a sport coat (if considered separate from the trousers) is the kind of cloth. Some cloths have a "sport coat" look and would not look too god on a suit, and viceversa. And some cloths appear to be suitable both for suits and for sport coats (and I guess in those cases you will not be able to tell whether the jacket is a sport coat or an orphaned suit jacket).
I asked my tailor if he "cuts" a sport coat different from a suit jacket, and he said that, basically, no. I am thinking about ordering a sport coat, and I am actually thinking about asking him if he could consider making it a wee bit shorter than the suit jackets he has made for me. Don't ask me why.

minimalist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
The obvious problem with this is that the suit coat gets worn out faster than the pants. Though in the case of a black suit, that's a positive benefit
smile.gif

'lulz' Ah, so much hate on black suits
wink.gif
I am really not into grey or blue suits since I think they do not go well with my skin tone... so the only real alternative are different tones of brown, camel cream... But brown suits are widely considered inappropriate for evening occassions... So what real alternative would there be to a black suit?
smile.gif
Suggestions?
smile.gif

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minimalist
'lulz' Ah, so much hate on black suits
wink.gif
I am really not into grey or blue suits since I think they do not go well with my skin tone... so the only real alternative are different tones of brown, camel cream... But brown suits are widely considered inappropriate for evening occassions... So what real alternative would there be to a black suit?
smile.gif
Suggestions?
smile.gif

If you're worried about something going with you skintone, a charcoal grey isn't going to be any different from a black. My charcoal grey suit is definitely more appropriate to wear anywhere over the stark, funereal black that you may be considering. Charcoal grey is like the color of graphite pencil led or conte crayon, NOT like a light grey.

emptym

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure suit jackets tend to be cut a bit longer in the body.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym

+1. It is my impression that suit jackets tend to run a touch longer.

This may be strictly a product of my imagination, but don't suit jackets also have a tendency to have more closed quarters? Perhaps not in all cases, but wouldn't a suit jacket have the option to have quarters more closed than might be acceptable in a sport coat?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. Actually, this tailor once made me an odd jacket, and while my wife think that it looks great, I feel that it is a tad too long for my taste. So next time I will stress that he should consider making it a little bit shorter.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would this be the case?

DunninLA

Reaction score
The assumption would be that shorter is sportier
smile.gif

minimalist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
If you're worried about something going with you skintone, a charcoal grey isn't going to be any different from a black. My charcoal grey suit is definitely more appropriate to wear anywhere over the stark, funereal black that you may be considering. Charcoal grey is like the color of graphite pencil led or conte crayon, NOT like a light grey.

Hmmmmmm... I think I will consider to buy my next suit in charcoal... At least I will give it a try in front of the mirror and see how it looks
smile.gif
But with middle or light gray my skin looks reddish and even more pale than it already is
plain.gif
But I also consider a black suit to be a real classic somehow... but then I also like black ties even when not attending to a funeral
wink.gif
At least with a shirt that is not all white
cool.gif

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Why would this be the case?

Good question, I am looking forward to reading an answer, especially as this will help me to argue my case with the tailor. Thank you in advance.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me make the argument, then. Jacket length is determined by one thing - the distance from your shoulder to your ass. The jacket hangs from your shoulders, and has to cover your ass. You tell me how you vary this measurement based on the formality of your clothing.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by DunninLA
The assumption would be that shorter is sportier
smile.gif

Shorter is just as wrong as longer. Whether you're getting it made or altered, it should be right.

Originally Posted by epa
Good question, I am looking forward to reading an answer, especially as this will help me to argue my case with the tailor. Thank you in advance.

No offence to your tailor, but next time, remind him who's wearing the coat and writing the checks. You can discuss how open you want the quarters, and how suppressed you want the waist, and where you want the pockets, and how high the waist is supposed to be, and how much fullness you want in the chest, but the tape tells the tale of how long the jacket is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads