• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk 7 fold ties

jyook

Reaction score
I've been reading about seven fold ties recently... I saw some nice Talbotts when I was shopping around trying on suits...

What's the deal with seven fold ties? Are they really all that they are hyped up to be?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're different. Depends on your taste. They have their place, but so do "regular" ties.

jyook

Reaction score
So what is the "place" of a seven fold? The ones I saw were very pretty..

I know a tuxedo has its "place"... You certainly wouldn't wear one to work... Just curious about seven folds... .

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do a search. There's a lot of info already posted on seven fold ties.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no "true place" for a 7-fold tie. It's merely a variation to the whole tie thing. Supposedly denotes ultra-luxury, whereupon a single, large piece of silk is folded upon itself to the shape of a tie.

On average it would tie a thicker knot than most ties, but a heavy gauge wool or silk or a tie with a hefty lining will also do the same.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What Lee said.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mostly hype IMO.

Unlined 7-folds can be cool though they're a somewhat unique look.

If you want a thick tie knot, I think a 3-fold with a nice interlining will work well and be a bit cheaper.

AlonzoMosely

Reaction score
I bought a seven fold. The knot it made was astonishingly small and silly looking. My Zegna, Massimo Bizzochi and Tino Cosma non-seven folds with heavier linings tie a much better knot.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Mostly hype IMO.

Unlined 7-folds can be cool though they're a somewhat unique look.

If you want a thick tie knot, I think a 3-fold with a nice interlining will work well and be a bit cheaper.

I like unlined 7 folds a lot, but only in silks that will not make a thick knots. Also, IMO they are better in prints than wovens.

On the other hand, I weekly win the award for most hated ties on SF, so my opinion might not be all that useful.

jyook

Reaction score
I knew you guys wouldn't let me down... Thanks...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have several Kitons (double 4 folds) and the benefit is the softness of the silk and thicker knots for spread collar shirts. I like them. They tend to be very well made since that are kind of an artisan product.
smile.gif

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As others have said, it's a mode of construction. I've seen some 7 folds eg Daniel Cremieux, that are thick and stiff as a board, whilst the kiton, isaias that I've bought from SF'ers have been supple and luxurious, tying a medium sized knot. the better ones tend to have the better silks too, but not always. I'd pick the colour/ pattern, quality of the silk before considering whether a tie is seven fold or not.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jyook, The Talbotts are real unlined seven-folds so they are a good place to start your comparisons. Most seven-folds are actually lined six-folds especially the Italian "seven-folds". Both constructions are elegant and require more silk and time to make than a standard three-fold. From a point of view of hand-craftmanship they often are what they are hyped to be. From a practical point of view unlined six-folds are much more popular as they tend not to wrinkle as much and have a nice solid feeling. We make both daily (as well as standard three-folds and other constructions) so I am neutral. Although my personal preference for most silks is a lined six-fold construction. At times I will also wear a three, four or very rarely a five-fold tie. Note, when I say four-fold I mean exactly four folds. Not a "double four-fold" which is a marketing term used by one or two tie-brands for six-fold constructions and not an actual construction used by tie-makers. Unless you admire the elegance and drape of a six or seven-fold construction I would stay with a three-fold.
Originally Posted by jyook
I've been reading about seven fold ties recently... I saw some nice Talbotts when I was shopping around trying on suits... What's the deal with seven fold ties? Are they really all that they are hyped up to be?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is this a seven-fold? Maybe it's a six, as I believe one of the distinguishing characteristics of a seven is the asymmetrical folds.
2037575053_15ab7e1c9e_o.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads