or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › I am moving the thread I high-jacked
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I am moving the thread I high-jacked

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
OK Guys, here is my premise. Since about the 1960s our sartorial standards have declined significantly. I believe that this is one of many symptoms of our societal decline. Our morals have decayed, our religious beliefs have been called into ridicule, our work ethic has declined. Our standards are not what they used to be. We have lowered ourselves into some kind of abyss where moral relativism rules the day.

Consequently, our status in the world has been lowered and in fact we are fighting for our economic survival. Our educational standard and related product is horrible.
Jobs are being lost overseas. We manufacture and design very little. Do you agree or not? If you do, do you think it is our collective responsibility to set high standards. Do you choose to lead, follow, or just get out of the way.

I know where I stand, where do you?
post #2 of 20
Again, into the abyss we shall march...
post #3 of 20
Dude, they're just a rock group get over it.
post #4 of 20
"Our religious beliefs" says quite a bit...
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylot74 View Post
OK Guys, here is my premise. Since about the 1960s our sartorial standards have declined significantly. I believe that this is one of many symptoms of our societal decline. Our morals have decayed, our religious beliefs have been called into ridicule, our work ethic has declined. Our standards are not what they used to be. We have lowered ourselves into some kind of abyss where moral relativism rules the day.

Consequently, our status in the world has been lowered and in fact we are fighting for our economic survival. Our educational standard and related product is horrible.
Jobs are being lost overseas. We manufacture and design very little. Do you agree or not? If you do, do you think it is our collective responsibility to set high standards. Do you choose to lead, follow, or just get out of the way.

I know where I stand, where do you?

I hate to rain on your parade, but the fact that the majority of people here who care about style are also radical left wing nutjobs seems to slightly blunt your argument. They may not have moral or religious values, but they do look good.
post #6 of 20
I just don't buy the connection. Some of the best, most God-fearing people I know dress in jeans and T-shirts. Doing so doesn't make them bad people. And it's not just true now. How many men have owned only one suit, so that they could wear it to church on Sunday?

The clothes a man wears do not advertise the contents of his heart. That, the Bible tells us, is known only to God.
post #7 of 20
Nazi officers were very well-dressed.
post #8 of 20
Such melodramatic, misplaced nationalism. The sky is not falling, and even if it were, baggy jeans and baseball caps at dinner are not the precursor to said fall.
post #9 of 20
Turn off your radio.
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian278 View Post
Such melodramatic, misplaced nationalism. The sky is not falling, and even if it were, baggy jeans and baseball caps at dinner are not the precursor to said fall.

Well put.
post #11 of 20
The wheel keeps turning, the old order gives way to the new, nothing lasts, except maybe a good straight razor. China was once great and cultured, Mesopotamia and Constantinople were once centers of advanced learning. The Greeks made their empire but eventually gave way to the Romans and ridiculed them for their lack of culture. The Roman empire eventually gave way to feudalism and the dark ages (taking liberties here), which in turn gave way to the Renaissance. Europe was a power, Germany and Russia were powers. Once, the sun never set on the British Empire. The US became the last remaining 'superpower' once the USSR was no more. So, you think our day in the sun should never end? Are we that special?
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#4 View Post
I hate to rain on your parade, but the fact that the majority of people here who care about style are also radical left wing nutjobs seems to slightly blunt your argument. They may not have moral or religious values, but they do look good.

Funny, I was going to say the opposite....
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian278 View Post
Such melodramatic, misplaced nationalism. The sky is not falling, and even if it were, baggy jeans and baseball caps at dinner are not the precursor to said fall.

+1 to this as well.
post #14 of 20
I personally weestern society highest point was in all respects was in the the late 15th century. The societal decay started with with the sodding protestants and the budding merchant class.
post #15 of 20
You might fit in better at "Ask Andy..."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › I am moving the thread I high-jacked