• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seiko Opinions Daily Beater Watch

kali77

Reaction score
Was hoping to get some opinions on this Seiko watch. I am looking to use it as a daily beater watch(not worried about damaging it). I know it is quartz movement which is a downer, but I can't seem to find an automatic that I like the design as much for a daily beater in the price range.

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wat...4/product.html

flylot74

Reaction score
I am a big believer in if you like it, buy it. But I am curious of why this "pilot" watch interests people so. As a professional pilot, it's jut something that doesn't interest me in the slightest, not having any need for all those "features".

We seasoned aviators (read old) recognize the only people who wear such a watch are "junior birdmen". Not a slur mind you, it's just what we call the younger aviators who go into our filed with wide eyed enthusiam and proud of their profession often looking forward to flying the big iron, not quite understanding the jaded look and thoughtful processes of someone who has taken a bullet or two and has 30,000 hours behind them.....

If you are youthful and full of "p*ss and vinegar ", then by all means, go for it. But understand that they are marketing a hollywood drama. All a pilot needs is a depedable watch that will tell him when the "12 hour rule" (12 hours from bottle to throttle) takes into affect.

kali77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by flylot74
I am a big believer in if you like it, buy it. But I am curious of why this "pilot" watch interests people so. As a professional pilot, it's jut something that doesn't interest me in the slightest, not having any need for all those "features".

We seasoned aviators (read old) recognize the only people who wear such a watch are "junior birdmen". Not a slur mind you, it's just what we call the younger aviators who go into our filed with wide eyed enthusiam and proud of their profession often looking forward to flying the big iron, not quite understanding the jaded look and thoughtful processes of someone who has taken a bullet or two and has 30,000 hours behind them.....

If you are youthful and full of "p*ss and vinegar ", then by all means, go for it. But understand that they are marketing a hollywood drama. All a pilot needs is a depedable watch that will tell him when the "12 hour rule" (12 hours from bottle to throttle) takes into affect.

Thank you very much for the reply. I am on the more youthful end of the spectrum. I am not a pilot; I am just attracted to the watch for pure aesthetic reasons.

On the other hand I don't want to piss away $250. I guess I am trying to decide if I should hold off a couple of months and purchase a decent vintage chronograph for $500-700 or just go ahead and grab this one on the cheap.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kali77
Was hoping to get some opinions on this Seiko watch. I am looking to use it as a daily beater watch(not worried about damaging it). I know it is quartz movement which is a downer, but I can't seem to find an automatic that I like the design as much for a daily beater in the price range.

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wat...4/product.html

I'm not a fan at all, especially at $250 - whatever Overstock discount of the day there mgiht be. For aviator/military influenced watches in this price range, I'd much prefer any of the below:

Seiko 5 Aviator / Military
Seiko5Pilot.jpg

Archimede Pilot
normal_Archimede008s.jpg

Poljot Aviator Handwind
normal_polmap04.jpg

Or if you must have a chronograph:

Poljot Shturmanskie
PoljotShturmanskieT20TN2.jpg

Citizen Eco-Drive 2100
normal_pic1294300.jpg

Hamilton Khaki Chrono (a bit out of your price range, however)
normal_HamiltonChronographT20TN.jpg

Photos courtesy of PMWF and member nastyandy's collection

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I have considered buying all of the above watches at some point over the last 6 months (too much exposure to TZ, PMWF, and SF apparently
frown.gif
), and eventually found a good deal on a Poljot handwind.

Also, Seiko Bullhead Chrono (vintage model, only available through eBay)
c7b941cd5762c606bf0f1363.jpg

kali77

Reaction score
Whacked,

Thank you very much. Exactly the info I was looking for. I think I need to go spend some time over at the watch forums and do a little research.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
FWIW, I have considered buying all of the above watches at some point over the last 6 months (too much exposure to TZ, PMWF, and SF apparently
frown.gif
), and eventually found a good deal on a Poljot handwind.

Also, Seiko Bullhead Chrono (vintage model, only available through eBay)

Let me know if you ever want to sell the blue bullhead.

flylot74

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kali77
Thank you very much for the reply. I am on the more youthful end of the spectrum. I am not a pilot; I am just attracted to the watch for pure aesthetic reasons.

On the other hand I don't want to piss away $250. I guess I am trying to decide if I should hold off a couple of months and purchase a decent vintage chronograph for $500-700 or just go ahead and grab this one on the cheap.

OK, I think I got it. My $ .02 now: for a beater get a TIMEX. Save your money and I mean really save your money and get that esthetically pleasing watch that you really want, for an aviator watch, even an old guy can appreciate an original vintage Breitling, the history of those old watches any aviator can appreciate. The old PanAm "clipper skippers" wore them, what history! Or something equally as pleasing and valuable.

Defer gratification and you will have a watch that not only you will be proud of but will probably appreciate in value over time. Don't spend $250 now, INVEST in $1,000+ later. I know it's hard, immediate gratification is so much more easy, but years later you will feel hollow and wished you had done it differently. Take it from a guy that has made a lifetime of mistakes....... don't just settle for "something"..... save for what you really want.

kali77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by flylot74
OK, I think I got it. My $ .02 now: for a beater get a TIMEX. Save your money and I mean really save your money and get that esthetically pleasing watch that you really want, for an aviator watch, even an old guy can appreciate an original vintage Breitling, the history of those old watches any aviator can appreciate. The old PanAm "clipper skippers" wore them, what history! Or something equally as pleasing and valuable.

Defer gratification and you will have a watch that not only you will be proud of but will probably appreciate in value over time. Don't spend $250 now, INVEST in $1,000+ later. I know it's hard, immediate gratification is so much more easy, but years later you will feel hollow and wished you had done it differently. Take it from a guy that has made a lifetime of mistakes....... don't just settle for "something"..... save for what you really want.

This is very sound advice, and I agree completely. I have been looking at some of the vintage Breitling's and drooling. I think I will hold off a few months and try to grab something more substantial.

Can anyone recommend any reputable on-line vintage watch dealers??

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

andyw

Reaction score
Hi all, great to see the support for Seiko's, an underappreciated brand somewhat through their own fault in producing so much junk. But the automatics and the more restrained designs rule. Here are two resources you should check out,

http://www.higuchi-inc.com/index-e.html

http://www.roachman.com/watches.html

I've purchased from both and the service is trustworthy and quick.

Here are some of the vintage Seiko automatics I've collected.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
i love this archimede and poljot. these are automatic and 250 dollars? where can you find these, on overstock you mean?
thanks

The exact Poljot model is available here for $130 + whatever S&H charge. No first hand experience so you might want to do a research before buying.

Street price for the Archimede Pilot is more like $400 though; used ones pop up on TZ/PMWF from time to time for ~$330. Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like the look of the Aviator but cannot find it anywhere online other than on some dodgy looking Argentinian websites ... any ideas on where it can be found?

Originally Posted by whacked

Seiko 5 Aviator / Military
Seiko5Pilot.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads