or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Fragrance Top 10
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fragrance Top 10 - Page 35

post #511 of 525
Here's my list. The ones with a * are scents that I currently own. I'm in my early 40s and have fairly conventional tastes. I've organized by season and situation.

Tom Ford Italian Cypress* (work)
Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (spring casual)
Le Labo Bergamote 22 (summer casual)
Bvlgari Black (fall casual)
Tom Ford Plum Japonais* (winter casual)
Chanel Egoiste* (romantic/special event)

I would be perfectly happy with that rotation. If pressed to add four additional scents, I would probably choose the following:

Creed Green Irish Tweed (work)
Diptyque Philosykos (spring/summer casual)
Creed Spice & Wood (fall/winter casual)
Amouage Jubilation XXV (romantic/special event)
post #512 of 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

Here's my list. The ones with a * are scents that I currently own. I'm in my early 40s and have fairly conventional tastes. I've organized by season and situation.

Tom Ford Italian Cypress* (work)
Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (spring casual)
Le Labo Bergamote 22 (summer casual)
Bvlgari Black (fall casual)
Tom Ford Plum Japonais* (winter casual)
Chanel Egoiste* (romantic/special event)

I would be perfectly happy with that rotation. If pressed to add four additional scents, I would probably choose the following:

Creed Green Irish Tweed (work)
Diptyque Philosykos (spring/summer casual)
Creed Spice & Wood (fall/winter casual)
Amouage Jubilation XXV (romantic/special event)

That's a solid list. Very solid, and primarily made up of modern classics. The Green Irish Tweed is a classic classic, as is the Egoiste.
post #513 of 525
I'll post a new Top Ten, which will be very different from my last one. These aren't in any particular order:

Bois des Iles by Chanel
Coromandel by Chanel
Lyric Man by Amouage
Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
Une Fleur de Cassie by Frederic Malle
Rose Nacrée du Desert by Guerlain
The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange
Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange
Arabian Wood by Tom Ford
Stilettos on Lex by Jul et Mad

I'm sure I'm forgetting something obvious, and there are some fragrances that I'd probably have included if I'd made this list last week or next week. But I think it's a pretty reasonable representation of my top ten.
post #514 of 525
Thread Starter 
Bump to see what we think these days... I stand by my original list, though several are now out of print.
post #515 of 525
I'd probably put Bruno Fazzolari's Lampblack as well as Chanel Bois des Iles somewhere in my top ten.
post #516 of 525
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

I'd probably put Bruno Fazzolari's Lampblack as well as Chanel Bois des Iles somewhere in my top ten.

Agreed. As well as Malle Portrait of a Lady.
post #517 of 525

Hello!

 

What would you scent-gurus recommend similar to Chanel Allure Édition Blanche or D&G Light Blue. These are my favorite scents. On basenotes someone recommended me Frapin L'humaniste - it was also epic for me. What else can you recommend for a lemony fresh scent lover?

Aqua Di Gio was very good - but I was using it too long.

 

What didn't work for me - Davidoff Cool Water, Terre d'Hermes.

post #518 of 525

I have scaled back my fragrance collection, but I'll add my list:

 

Anytime:

Creed Aventus

 

Spring/ Summer:

Creed Original Vetiver

Looking for another summer scent... (thoughts based on the other scents I wear?)

 

Fall Winter:

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather

Creed Royal Oud (Evening/ Formal mostly)

post #519 of 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin View Post

Hello!

What would you scent-gurus recommend similar to Chanel Allure Édition Blanche or D&G Light Blue. These are my favorite scents. On basenotes someone recommended me Frapin L'humaniste - it was also epic for me. What else can you recommend for a lemony fresh scent lover?
Aqua Di Gio was very good - but I was using it too long.

What didn't work for me - Davidoff Cool Water, Terre d'Hermes.

@Makin
Have you tried Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal? If you love lemon, then you will certainly enjoy this one. The lemon isn't as creamy as the one in Edition Blanche. And instead of vetiver you get cypress.
post #520 of 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post

Bump to see what we think these days... I stand by my original list, though several are now out of print.

I'd want to add Venetian Bergamot by Tom Ford and True Lust Rayon Violet de Ses Yeux by ELDO. Probably Arabian Wood would be out of my top ten, even though I still like it very much.

EDIT: Shoot, I probably want to add Rubj edp too.
post #521 of 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post


@Makin
Have you tried Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal? If you love lemon, then you will certainly enjoy this one. The lemon isn't as creamy as the one in Edition Blanche. And instead of vetiver you get cypress.

Thank you! Isn't it too feminine? (as far as I can tell looking at the bottle) Or should I get the Cologne version?

post #522 of 525
They actually have two different bottles for that scent, one more feminine looking and the other more masculine looking. But the fragrance itself is exactly the same. And no, it's definitely not too feminine. (The cypress really helps there.) I would suggest the eau de toilette formulation. But maybe @HORNS has a different opinion.
post #523 of 525
I was under the impression that the two fragrances are identical except that they just come in different bottles. Eau d'Hadrien is absolutely not just for females - it's perfectly unisex.
post #524 of 525
Guerlain - Vetiver
Penhaligon's - Sartorial
Tauer - L'air Du Desert Marocain
Roja Dove - Enigma pour Homme
Roja Dove - Fetish pour Homme
Sultan Pasha - Cites de Ange
Amouage - Journey Man
Lorenzo Villoresi - Uomo
Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Pour le Soir
post #525 of 525
Thread Starter 
Interesting additions over the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post

Guerlain - Vetiver
Penhaligon's - Sartorial
Tauer - L'air Du Desert Marocain
Roja Dove - Enigma pour Homme
Roja Dove - Fetish pour Homme
Sultan Pasha - Cites de Ange
Amouage - Journey Man
Lorenzo Villoresi - Uomo
Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Pour le Soir

That's a nice list. Especially the Villoresi... there are several from his line I'd add, from Sandalo to Piper Nigrum.

I'm always curious, from these lovely niche lists, how many users have sampled the old classics in their best form... the Shalimar extraits, the Vol de Nuits, Cuir de Russie Parfum, etc. They take some legwork (basically going to a Chanel flagship or Guerlain store)... but most are still detectable even in reformulated form.

I stand by my well-worn thesis that nothing much under the sun has been invented that could really outmatch the old classics (Except in retail price). There is no oriental better than Shalimar, no citrus better than Diorella. No leather that can match CdR. And find something to compete with Bois des Iles. And is there a rose that could match the original Patou Joy? Though Rose Poivree takes it in an interesting direction.

I would probably have to add something from Comme des Garcons on my list, just because as a fashion house they continue to push the envelope.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Fragrance Top 10