Given the number of cologne threads going on and recommendations, I thought it might be a good idea for some of us to list our top ten fragrances of all kinds. Mainstream, niche, cheap, expensive, it doesn't matter, but please list some sort of description/high point to each, the approx. price, and any drawbacks to the fragrance. I thought especially that those of us enjoying the Scent-of-the-Day thread might want to post our favorites for others to try. I'll start (in no particular order):
1. Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne (and Eau de parfum): Warm, rich, soft, and subdued. The perfect companion to Lang's fashion. Price: Discontinued, but you can find some online for $30-50.
2. Helmut Lang Cuiron: Leather done right... not too dry and topped with plum. Price: Also discontinued and getting harder to find. Prices online run $50+ Drawbacks: No sillage and rather short lived (EdC concentration)... but still worth it.
3. Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme: Manly, warm, and unique, smells like the 70's (in a good way) Price: easily found from perfume discounters for $25 or so
4. Diptyque Philosykos: Woods and figs, very soft and subtle Price: Retails for $90 or so, but can sometimes be found cheaper online (Another that I almost put... but didn't just because it is so hard to find, is Anthousa Fig&Vetiver. It's lighter and less woody than the Diptyque, but adds vetiver for crispness and green).
5. L'artisan Parfumeur Voleur de Rose: One of my favorite roses. Deep patchouli keeps the rose from being too floral, while the rose keeps the patchouli from being too hippy/earthy. Excellent balance. Price: Retails for $90-120 Drawbacks: Unfortunately the longevity isn't so great.
6. Chanel Antaeus A classic. Nothing more needs to be said. A great 80's powerhouse that still works. Price: $65 or so
7. Guerlain L'instant pour homme Sweet, rich, and warm, with a lot of class. Price: Easily found for $30-40 from online fragrance discounters
8. Prada Amber Technically marketed for women, but no more feminine than the above. Added patchouli keeps the mixture grounded and deep. Price: $30+ if you find some online, $70+ retail
9. Frederic Malle Bigarade Concentree Stinky Oranges! Excellent citrus with woods and an added kick that keeps it from being too sporty. A "manly" orange. Price: $180 Drawbacks: A price of $180 is definitely the drawback, but unfortunately I've never found a citrus that I like better.
10. Creed Bois du Portugal Another classic. Very classy, very manly without being too spicy. All around powerhouse. Price: Depends on where you get it. Retails $180+, but sometimes you can find a bottle for $80-100 from online distributors like scentiments.com