• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why people go to Steak Houses?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious, as I have never enjoyed any.
I have been to many S-houses, since my friends and co-workers prefer them to real restaurants, but I always been deeply disappointed with food and service.
Service aside.., I can go along with certain vulgar familiarity from the waiter, but food? What about food?

It is barely cooked , sauce-less, never marinated, barely sprinkled with some salt and for side order ....drum-roll you can have carrots and mashed potatoes....

WTF?

Why folks are calling raw cube of meet with mash potatoes a cuisine, if it does not require any real skill or cooking for that matter.
What is the attraction? Is this a cultural thing?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Come on Balki, I'm sure they eat things where you come from that we wouldn't like...

huysmans

Reaction score
What kind of steak houses are we talking about here?

I have been to a few of the crown jewels in NYC, and I must say, Lugar is worth it. I eat beef maybe twice a year, and if I am going to eat it, that is how I'd like to do it.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and answer, "to eat steak."

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
honestly, I wasn't a big fan of steak houses until I went to one in chicago - a real steak house is a great thing. woulnd't want a steak every week, but a few times a year it is great.

and I wouldn't dis the work and epxereince needed to produce a world class steak.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
honestly, I wasn't a big fan of steak houses until I went to one in chicago - a real steak house is a great thing. woulnd't want a steak every week, but a few times a year it is great.

and I wouldn't dis the work and epxereince needed to produce a world class steak.

I don't dis cows, they are extremely stupid, but harmless and loveable animals.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I don't dis cows, they are extremely stupid, but harmless and loveable animals.
Yes. Would that other extremely stupid animals were more like them.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been to many S-houses, since my friends and co-workers prefer them to real restaurants, but I always been deeply disappointed with food and service.
Service aside.., I can go along with certain vulgar familiarity from the waiter, but food? What about food?

It is barely cooked , sauce-less, never marinated, barely sprinkled with some salt and for side order ....drum-roll you can have carrots and mashed potatoes....

WTF?

Why folks are calling raw cube of meet with mash potatoes a cuisine, if it does not require any real skill or cooking for that matter.

You sir have never been to Argentina.

Jon.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
You sir have never been to Argentina.

Jon.

I have been and I am not talking about carne asada and other meaty deliciousness widely observed in BA.

I am talking about raw cube of meet that is very popular in Britain, US/CAN and Germany (they love their steak ).

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WTF?

Why stop at steak houses? From your descriptions of food, I'd like to know what you would consider "real" food and cooking?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am talking about raw cube of meet that is very popular in Britain, US/CAN and Germany (they love their steak ).

Perhaps you frequent different steak houses than I, but in every steak house I've ever visited, I've had the option of ordering my steak cooked to my preference.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Perhaps you frequent different steak houses than I, but in every steak house I've ever visited, I've had the option of ordering my steak cooked to my preference.

I know that is the extend of their cooking at S-houses. Every time I try to order anything other than "bloody" I am getting lectured by some stake aficionado on virtues of consuming almost raw meet.

Can I just go to the kitchen and take a large bite out of dead cow? And please give me some extra bread-sticks and mashed potatoes with it.

All I am saying is: "S-houses are not real restaurants". I bet, If one to study the history of that culinary phenomena, one would found that they originated somewhere in 17-18 century right after big famine.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ

+1.

That's what I thought he was originally talking about, and then I recalled that I normally have no idea what he's talking about.

Anyways, there are some excellent steak houses in the US (and I mean American steak houses, not Argentinean ones).

Jon.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What I'd like to know is why people go to buffets?

Really? It seems like it would be your kind of place with the all you can eat Swedish meatballs, second rate pork ribs, warmed over, crusty lasagna, and giant tub of chocolate pudding.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads