or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Best actors (of your generation)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best actors (of your generation) - Page 10

post #136 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02 View Post
tigress02
So... is it you in drag, or you post-op?
post #137 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
BTW Quirk, who is your avatar?
Mrs. Vincent Cassel. Until she comes to her senses and succumbs to Tiger02.
post #138 of 158
I am Mrs Vincent Cassel, but don't tell him that because I'm still pre-op and this isn't how I wanted him to find out.
post #139 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirk View Post
Haven't seen him in much, but I like him; he was very good in 'Malcolm X'.
He's been in a ton, but a good number of the movies are low-key releases. Basically he's a great actor, who sometimes plays in bad films.
post #140 of 158
In no particular order:

Jason Statham - My favorites: Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels and Snatch.
Edward Norton - Fight Club, American History X, The Illutionist,
Christian Bale - American Phsyco, Harsh Times, Batman Begins, The Prestige, Rescue Dawn.
Brad Pitt - Fight Club, A River Runs Through It, Legends of the Fall, Se7en, Twelve Monkeys, Sleepers, Snatch, Troy.
Robert Deniro- Too many movies to count.

Theres others, but those are my predominant favorites.
I cant really think of any female actors. Most of them are more for beauty than acting ability.
post #141 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by REKER View Post
In no particular order: Jason Statham - My favorites: Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. Edward Norton - Fight Club, American History X, The Illutionist, Christian Bale - American Phsyco, Harsh Times, Batman Begins, The Prestige, Rescue Dawn. Brad Pitt - Fight Club, A River Runs Through It, Legends of the Fall, Se7en, Twelve Monkeys, Sleepers, Snatch, Troy. Robert Deniro- Too many movies to count. Theres others, but those are my predominant favorites. I cant really think of any female actors. Most of them are more for beauty than acting ability.
I do like that Emily Watson, who someone mentioned upthread -- saw her in that Adam Sandler junk 'Punch Drunk Love' and just saw her again in 'Miss Potter'. Like her a lot. And Kate Winslet is great anyway, but her hilarious turn on Ricky Gervais' 'Extras' absolutely sealed it for me. Streep is always good, but she's been in some genuine shizzat -- "Death Becomes Her?" What the....
post #142 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirk View Post
I do like that Emily Watson, who someone mentioned upthread -- saw her in that Adam Sandler junk 'Punch Drunk Love' and just saw her again in 'Miss Potter'. Like her a lot. And Kate Winslet is great anyway, but her hilarious turn on Ricky Gervais' 'Extras' absolutely sealed it for me. Streep is always good, but she's been in some genuine shizzat -- "Death Becomes Her?" What the....

Actually, Meryl Streep did stick out in my mind. She was pretty good in Lions for Lambs. Death becomes her was very hilarious as I remember watching that as a kid. I REALLY liked her in the movie "The River Wild." And she isnt bad looking either.

I also really like Demi Moore. I forgot all about her until I recently saw "Mr. Brooks," which is a VERY good movie, imo.

Might as well add Kevin Costner to the list as well.
post #143 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by REKER View Post
Actually, Meryl Streep did stick out in my mind. She was pretty good in Lions for Lambs. Death becomes her was very hilarious as I remember watching that as a kid. I REALLY liked her in the movie "The River Wild." And she isnt bad looking either. I also really like Demi Moore. I forgot all about her until I recently saw "Mr. Brooks," which is a VERY good movie, imo. Might as well add Kevin Costner to the list as well.
Ugh, Costner. He and Dennis Haysbert are the most uninteresting people I've ever seen on screen. Wood. I think Streep is hot. Weird smile, but generally hot. Demi's hot, but as an actress, ok, but nothing special. I think it's harder for traditionally beautiful women (and men, for that matter) to be impressive on screen. Something about them is less interesting character-wise. To me, anyway.
post #144 of 158
Yeah, Costner has a more laid-back style of acting. To me, it comes off as wise and sophisticated; which I can appreciate. I even enjoyed "Water World," haha.

I think the only movie I liked with Dennis Haysbert was "Major League."
post #145 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by REKER View Post
I think the only movie I liked with Dennis Haysbert was "Major League."
Did you see "Far from Heaven"? I think that's his best movie and his best performance. Not to mention that Julianne Moore is in it
post #146 of 158
No I havent. Ill take it that its worth a gander?
post #147 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
Did you see "Far from Heaven"? I think that's his best movie and his best performance. Not to mention that Julianne Moore is in it
Julianne Moore -- good call. Though I thought Far from Heaven was insulting twaddle; tolerated it for about an hour (because of JM), but came near to vomiting. This is the one with Dennis Quaid as the closeted upper-middle class twinkie asshole who lays into his wife for jeopardizing their social status by befriending the transcendantly pious black widower with the angelic daughter, right? Jeeezus.
post #148 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirk View Post
Julianne Moore -- good call. Though I thought Far from Heaven was insulting twaddle; tolerated it for about an hour (because of JM), but came near to vomiting. This is the one with Dennis Quaid as the closeted upper-middle class twinkie asshole who lays into his wife for jeopardizing their social status by befriending the transcendantly pious black widower with the angelic daughter, right? Jeeezus.

wow. Sorry you didn't like it. I thought it was a great moment of pure 1950's melodramatic cinema. Beautifully shot and brilliantly acted too

Edit: I checked the tomatometer to make sure I'm not crazy for liking this movie and it looks like it gets a 90% so I guess I'm not crazy... phew
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/far_from_heaven/
post #149 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
wow. Sorry you didn't like it. I thought it was a great moment of pure 1950's melodramatic cinema. Beautifully shot and brilliantly acted too Edit: I checked the tomatometer to make sure I'm not crazy for liking this movie and it looks like it gets a 90% so I guess I'm not crazy... phew http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/far_from_heaven/
It's very likely a much better film than my personal reaction suggests, in terms of performances and overall filmmaking. I just have little stomach for stories with that kind of simplistic stylized racial template, and even less for Haysbert's 'acting'. And it doesn't help that I seem to recall seeing him do much the same kind of noble stoic black man schtick already with the very yummy Michelle Pfeiffer in 'Love Field' some years back...
post #150 of 158
Juliana Moore, Charlese Theron and KEVIN fucking Kline!!!
Also Jessica Lange and Kathy Beits (baits) whatever her name is.
And yea, special thanks to Chloe Soveigny for trying to make a blow job part of her acting range.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Best actors (of your generation)