or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Video Games
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Video Games - Page 234

post #3496 of 4283
...
post #3497 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Prediction: Xbox One will wipe the floor with PS4.

The PS4 may have a slight edge technologically, but it won't matter. As of the moment, most multi-platform games are developed natively for the Xbox 360, then ported to the PS3. There is no reason to believe this trend will change during the transition to the new consoles. It's what the developers are used to. Hence, the extra computing power in the PS4 won't really come into play--unless the PS4 can pull ahead in other fronts and compel development teams to re-center.

The reason this came to be is two fold.

A. The PS3 used technology that was somewhat exotic and difficult to code for. The X360 was much easier to develop games on and used parts more familiar to developers.

B. The X360 got an early lead in the USA due to launching a year ahead and greatly undercutting the PS3's initial price of $499. Having the highest install base in the USA for it's life went a long way to making it the lead console for developers.

The problem with your argument is that neither of these factors will be part of this coming generation. Both consoles are using (customized) off the shelf parts that are similar in nature. Sony has gone a long way to make the PS4 easy to code for and developers are backing this statement up. Coding difficulties and the extra development costs they bring will no longer be an issue for Sony.

Both consoles will also be launching in a similar time-frame this fall. While pricing is unknown, speculation is that they will be priced similarly this go around. In fact, some rumors point to MS having a higher base SKU due to Kinnect 2.0 being bundled in as a standard. The cameras and added processors in the new Kinnect won't be cheap to produce.

Now if I had to make a wager, it would be for parallel pricing between the companies but that still takes away the advantage had by MS this generation.

Remember, developers will be starting fresh here. They will have to "re-center" naturally due to starting over.

With similar hardware, porting between the two consoles won't be an issue. Because of this, I see little reason developers wouldn't take advantage of any extra horsepower the PS4 may have. Remember, they want their games to look as good as possible to increase sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

However, from user interface, social networking, and media center perspectives, Microsoft has a huge advantage over Sony. Those are all arenas in which Microsoft is already an expert, if not a leader. Few companies are as well-positioned as Microsoft to link together all the various computing devices we currently use on a day-to-day basis and put the cloud to work.

The PS3 was always a fantastic media center too and many are not happy with the latest revisions of the X360's UI (ads, ads and more ads!), but I will give you the social networking and online gaming.

In the future? Who knows. As I explained before, Sony demonstrated at their conference a UI with social and online gaming functions that matched, if not beat what LIVE is today. It's not unreasonable to believe they will get this right, as they have already shown a much improved online system with the PSP Vita.

Now we have yet to hear of any major improvements to LIVE for the Xbone because MS decided to focus on TV and media center functions during their conference. I fully expect a range of improvements to be announced at E3, but for now we simply don't have a lot of information to go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Also, Playstation controllers are the stupidest controllers ever designed. Who the fuck decided to replace the A/B/X/Y buttons, which have sufficed for everyone else since Super Nintendo, with fucking shapes?

"How do I reload?"
"Press triangle, press triangle!!!"

Control preferences are completely subjective,but it does appear that Sony has gone a long way to making improvements to their standard design.

The shapes were chosen because they are universal. No offence, but I seriously doubt many gamers have been confused with finding the triangle or square over the years...

On a broader point, it's important to keep in mind that we are indeed starting fresh this year. Gamers have a long history of showing that they don't have much loyalty to console makers. If they did, Sega would still be in the hardware business and Sony would have never lost their dominating lead with the PS2 in the first place. Not to mention the cliff diving drop in sales that Nintendo has seen between the Wii and Wii U. The market leader for this coming generation is very much up in the air.

EDIT: I also think American gamers sometimes lose track of the fact that the X360 only outsold the PS3 in the USA. Sony "wiped the floor" with them everywhere else. Total global sales have been close for a while, but I do believe the PS3 pulled ahead last time I checked. So even if I get proven completely wrong and MS walks right in and dominates again, Sony still has a lot of other market-share to rely on for sales.
Edited by Jr Mouse - 6/7/13 at 3:28pm
post #3498 of 4283
Ha, the latest yellow pages TV ad is voiced by the guy who voiced Jensen in Deus Ex: HR.

Was almost waiting for him to rip on Pritchard...
post #3499 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

Xbox 1 still looks like the console to beat. PS4 looks wonky and their online content / interface is terrible. At the end of the day most console gamers are casual gamers and they want to be able to get online quickly and play with friends.

What have we seen of PS4's console? Very little, mostly static screenshots. Xbone's demo during their conference? Staged, obviously. The actual UI is pretty bad. Look at this:

"Bu..but it's not done yet!" Then don't comment on PS4's UI, which hasn't been shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whnay. View Post

A few things to add:

Xbox has a clear controller advantage

Xbox has built a UI that is proven and that an entire generation of gamers have been playing on - links to friends, online content, tv, internet, etc

Buying patterns in the next cycle will be as much about social aspects as they will be about graphical prowess and exclusive content:

  • Massive head start and edge on social for Xbox
  • Graphical edge to Sony although it remains to be seen how big of a difference this really is...
  • Exclusive game content at this point seems about even with a possible edge to Sony because of Naughty Dog

How many people like the Metro interface they're moving towards? How many people actually care about social integration that seems like a last gen feature, which MS completely blundered on? And no, Sony has a lot going and not just "Naughty Dog." Just announced was Planetside 2 and Warframe. Imagine that, two F2P games ready for you when you boot up the console, Warframe gunning for launch. Can't do that on 360 considering what they charge for updates and how unwilling they are to work with you, and it's likely to be the same with Xbone. That's one reason why TF2 was thrown to the side on the 360. As for controllers, have you held either in your hand?


Anyways, who knows. I guess we'll see Dark Souls 2 this year. Maybe Demon Souls 2. Maybe that rumored PS4 Miyazaki game. Exclusive Square Enix games? It'll sure be interesting. See ya'll after E3.

My predictions:

i97P4bk7nDuQ9.gif
i15GGiH1OQgUK.gif
i02sFV0ZzcTpX.gif

I won't even delve into the rumored Xbone's eSRAM issues and possible GPU downclock so the UI doesn't lag. If the Xbone wins this one it'll be thanks to consumer ignorance.

Edit: Good post Jr Mouse, more informative and less biting than mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Yes, I would not be surprised if this generation of consoles is the last. Even now, it's hard to fathom why we even need them. Everyone's got a computer at home at least as powerful. Resources would be better spent linking existing computing power to our televisions. We stick to consoles out of habit, that's all. Well, that's not a good enough reason for them to survive.

My GTX 460 has an HDMI out. My TV has an HDMI in. What more do I need?
Edited by lesamourai - 6/8/13 at 11:10am
post #3500 of 4283

That Kaz-gif with the Reggie-photo.crackup[1].gif

post #3501 of 4283
Software was lacking among all the conferences. Best games were multiplatform.

-No DRM
-No 'always' online
-$399

Was enough for Sony to win this one.

There's still gamescom and TGS though, but if this generation is any indication, I have much more faith in Sony's long term first party output.
post #3502 of 4283
post #3503 of 4283

No The Last Guardian. frown.gif

post #3504 of 4283
State of Decay. Really fun and original game. It's a little buggy (although not as bad as Fallout New Vegas was when it was released) but pretty incredible for 20 bucks.
post #3505 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesamourai View Post


-No DRM
-No 'always' online
-$399

.


This was huge. Sony's going to run away with this unless MS changes plans. Most games will be multi-platform, so why wouldn't "core" gamers choose the console that's $100 cheaper, more powerful and allows them to buy and sell used games? It's a complete win.

What's most telling about how big this news was is that everyone is so happy about Sony's DRM strategy and pricing, that they are willing to overlook the one area the company fucked up. Online multi-player is now behind a paywall like LIVE.
post #3506 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

What's most telling about how big this news was is that everyone is so happy about Sony's DRM strategy and pricing, that they are willing to overlook the one area the company fucked up. Online multi-player is now behind a paywall like LIVE.

It's $50/year, which is $10 cheaper than the Xbox's current pricing, and it comes with a host of free games. It still worse than free obviously, but it's really not that bad.

I'll most likely pick up the PS4 sometime within the first half of next year after the console has been out a bit and any bugs have already been taken care of.
post #3507 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesamourai View Post


-No DRM
-No 'always' online
-$399

.


This was huge. Sony's going to run away with this unless MS changes plans. Most games will be multi-platform, so why wouldn't "core" gamers choose the console that's $100 cheaper, more powerful and allows them to buy and sell used games? It's a complete win.

What's most telling about how big this news was is that everyone is so happy about Sony's DRM strategy and pricing, that they are willing to overlook the one area the company fucked up. Online multi-player is now behind a paywall like LIVE.

Haha yep. They dropped the bomb of no DRM then quietly whispered about PSN being required for multiplayer. At least they didn't put everything behind the paywall (i.e. Netflix), but I'm already subbed to Gold and Plus, so getting rid of one is nice.

Still, I just like the Sony execs better than Microsoft's. Always come off as more personable and likeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worakl View Post

No The Last Guardian. frown.gif

If it's not at TGS I'm just going to let it go and consider it vaporware.
post #3508 of 4283
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesamourai View Post

If it's not at TGS I'm just going to let it go and consider it vaporware.

 

There's still hope:

 

http://kotaku.com/sony-corrects-themselves-says-the-last-guardian-is-not-512720979

post #3509 of 4283
Sony seems to be much more nimble this go around than MS, that much is obvious. The pricing strategy in particular was a masterstroke - although I'd imagine a similar system loadout (with eye, etc) will come close to Xbox1's base price. I'm still not convinced Sony has done enough to address its wonky online interface and experience - and as I said before, this will be the feature(s) that make or break the race in the long run. The leaked video of some of the features was ok but a few years behind where the 360 is today. With regards to exclusive content, its a draw - I'd probably feel differently if FF15 was an Sony exclusive.

All the gripe over always online and DRM is pretty funny to me. DRM has already happened in PC land where all the "big" games are now distributed online. This will be the future of consoles as well and will be even more relevant when the cloud really kicks in. I get the arguments about the always online but come on people...with very few exceptions, if you are buying a $500 system you should be able to afford an internet connection.
post #3510 of 4283
The DRM thing is pretty funny. People always scream and yell and loudly proclaim that no one will ever buy the system/game/whatever... And then it goes on to set sales records.

This is not to say that I don't find a lot of DRM pointless and even hostile to the end user--just that for all the stink made about it, the vast majority of consumers just don't care.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Video Games