or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Supplement to assist with weight loss?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Supplement to assist with weight loss?

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
Does anyone take a supplement that actually speeds up their metabolism to assist with weight loss? I started with a trainer two months ago.  We do a cardio/weight training routine but the pounds are just not coming off as I'd like them to.  I also eat extremely well with a low carb, high protein, lots-of-veggies-and-lean-meat diet. What am I missing?
post #2 of 37
Prepster, I went from 85kg to 65kg by controlling my food intake and going to the gym doing light aerobics and resistance training -- not unlike what you are doing. It took time (give it 2 months at least), and I didn't have a personal trainer, and the change was very gradual -- I did not notice it myself but others did. Your clothes will slowly not fit you anymore. I hope you don't mind me asking a related question: I recently received 2 orientation sessions with a personal trainer as part of my gym membership. I recently signed up for this after moving to NYC. The training sessions cost $110 per hour, and I was wondering how often do people have these sessions (and if it's something like twice a week, wouldn't it be crazy to spend almost $1000 per month on personal training fees?) Thanks
post #3 of 37
the supplements i know of that directly affect metabolism are mainly stimulants like caffeine and ephedra. i took Metabolift. it came in huge capsules...made me jittery, but i did it anyway. i doubt i would do it now, as i don't do well with a lot of caffeine anymore. if you believe bill phillips and others, the best stack for raising metabolism is (IIRC) aspirin, caffeine, and ephedra. i forget the proportions. there are 'natural' equivalents as well. i would talk to a sports doctor first though, about the risks. if i'm not mistaken, ephedra has gotten some bad press, so it's worthwhile to be careful. (don't talk to a regular physician, they'll just tell you not to take anything at all.) /andrew
post #4 of 37
I thought I'd beat Marc to the punch, I know this is coming anyways so we might as well get it over with. Might I suggest wheatgrass juice, sprouts, taking most of your nourishment from the air, drinking alien magic water, and death metal? Make sure to closely examine your stool, and if possible, take pictures of it. It makes a great Christmas card. Did I miss anything pal?
post #5 of 37
Well done Tokyo Slim, you make a gr8 student. Marc37 (l am talking to myself here): you must exercise restraint and control. Take deep breaths and repeat aloud, must not get excited.
post #6 of 37
Dear prepster: weight gain can stem from many nutritional deficencies. As we get older our bodies lack the nutrition to be able to get rid of the extra fats, calories, and other concentrated substances (carbs, proteins etc). 1. Try taking fat splitting enzymes (abundant in sesame seeds, almonds, sunflower seeds and alfalfa seeds). Most fat people are deficient in the enzymes that break down fat. 2.  Try food combining. This will produce excellent results for taking the weight off. When a body is run to overcapacity it will offload [bodily] jobs to perform urgent jobs. That's why cancers and overweight conditions develop. 3.  Try cutting out refined products (white bread, rice etc) and eating more wholesome foods. P.S: l don't have near the time to discuss more on this topic right now however, feel free to ask all the questions you need. P.S.S: l will discuss the topic of food combining shortly. lt's a vital topic that l will cover in full. (Eg, can't combine concentrated protiens with concentrated carbs etc).
post #7 of 37
Quote:
the supplements i know of that directly affect metabolism are mainly stimulants like caffeine and ephedra. i took Metabolift. it came in huge capsules...made me jittery, but i did it anyway. i doubt i would do it now, as i don't do well with a lot of caffeine anymore. if you believe bill phillips and others, the best stack for raising metabolism is (IIRC) aspirin, caffeine, and ephedra. i forget the proportions. there are 'natural' equivalents as well. i would talk to a sports doctor first though, about the risks. if i'm not mistaken, ephedra has gotten some bad press, so it's worthwhile to be careful. (don't talk to a regular physician, they'll just tell you not to take anything at all.) /andrew
Unfortunately, ephedra has been banned in the United States since earlier this year, so good luck finding any in this country. I would just recommend regular exercise, aerobic and weights, eat many small protein filled meals throughout the day and drink ots of water. Keeping a daily food and exercise diary or log can help you find if there are ways in which you are unintentionally sabotaging your weight loss attempts. Keep working at it and it will come off eventually. Bradford
post #8 of 37
Thread Starter 
Thanks, all, for your thoughtful responses. I was praying there would me a magic pill to expedite the process. Alas, it appears hard work, clean living, and time are the only means to my goal. Gregory - To answer your questions about my personal trainer...I had always wanted a trainer for the extra motivation but could never justify the high expense. So I perused Craig's List in hopes of finding a better deal (someone who wasn;t affiliated with a gym). Alas, I found a great guy who uses his excellent apartment complex gym as a homebase and charges me only $20 a session. i cannot tell you how great it is to have that extra motivation without the guilt of money. At $60 a week, I could use him indefinitely and be totally justified. He works me much harder than I would ever work myself and gets me out of bed at 7:30am which I never, ever did before. I encourage everyone to try the Craig's List method.
post #9 of 37
Prepster, That's totally incredible - I can't believe they charge $110 per hour here and you're getting it for $20. I'm happy for you, however, Another thing -- I struggled with my weight pretty much all my life. The key of me somewhat suceeding this time -- still have some more pounds and fatty tissue to lose -- is that I didn't pressure myself and I went to the gym consistently. It was over summer and I had absolutely nothing to do for a period of one month. I went to the gym every weekday and I didn't really even push myself that hard. Consistency is key. Don't push yourself so hard that you never want to go back again. Your personal trainer can probably offer you more qualified advice, but also keep in mind the possibility that you are not seeing much change in your weight because you're adding muscle at the same time you're shedding fat. I think it'll work out, just have a little bit of patience.
post #10 of 37
Pills won't help, but try using a fiber supplement (like Metamucil powder) to help "clean the pipes"... esp. if you're eating a lot of meat (which tends to linger). It definitely makes you feel skinnier.
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Pills won't help, but try using a fiber supplement (like Metamucil powder) to help "clean the pipes"...   esp. if you're eating a lot of meat (which tends to linger). It definitely makes you feel skinnier.
I know it isn't "on topic" but has anyone tried that colon cleaner stuff that removes plaque that lines your system. I recall seeing the "product" produced from its use and it was quite impressive. lol
post #12 of 37
Dude, you're gonna get Mark started. Remember, Mark, NO PICTURES.
post #13 of 37
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the encouragement and wisdom, gentlemen. Gotta say, now that the topic came up, I totally agree that a high protein/low carb diet tends to "stop me up".  As a result I started taking two products by Grandma's Herbs - SuperLax, and Colon Cleanse. Honestly - there is nothing like it.  I cannot believe what I see.  Literally, hamburgers from 1996.  The two products work in conjunction to expel all of the junk that's been laying around for ages.  I really saw my energy improve and skin get clearer as a result of taking the products a few times a week. The company sends an excellent booklet with your first order that details the theory of how a lot of diseases and cancers result from the storage of toxins in your colon. This area truly needs to be flushed in order to work properly. Really made a lot of sense. Highly, highly recommended... http://grandmasherbs.com/Items.cfm?cID=18
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Dude, you're gonna get Mark started. Remember, Mark, NO PICTURES.
bwaaa.hahahahha.hahahhaha....
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Honestly - there is nothing like it.  I cannot believe what I see.  Literally, hamburgers from 1996.  The two products work in conjunction to expel all of the junk that's been laying around for ages.  I really saw my energy improve and skin get clearer as a result of taking the products a few times a week. The company sends an excellent booklet with your first order that details the theory of how a lot of diseases and cancers result from the storage of toxins in your colon.  This area truly needs to be flushed in order to work properly.  Really made a lot of sense.
Hmm.. yuck, but interesting. I wonder how much of that is rooted in actual science. Gr8man, don't even start. Any evil doctors of common medical science have something to add to this?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Supplement to assist with weight loss?