• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

overcoat sizing

johnny1982

Reaction score
This is probably a fairly stupid question but I'm going to toss it out there anyways. I wear a 38R suit and I'm looking to get a new winter overcoat, I'm concerned that getting a 38R coat will be too snug, should I get 1 or two sizes up?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A properly made overcoat will take into account that fact that it would be worn over a jacket. That means that it's actually cut bigger than a similar sized suit jacket.

dagenham

Reaction score
as lee stated... the overcoat should take the fit over a jacket into consideration.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
A properly made overcoat will take into account that fact that it would be worn over a jacket. That means that it's actually cut bigger than a similar sized suit jacket.
I've found this to be true. I used to get a size larger until I realized that my overcoats were too big.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but some brands are cut differently. In fact, you may not have to size up, but actually down if you're looking for a nicer slim fit, even over a suit/jacket.

spence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
True, but some brands are cut differently. In fact, you may not have to size up, but actually down if you're looking for a nicer slim fit, even over a suit/jacket.
I'd agree...very difficult to know until you try it on with a coat underneath. I'm a 46 and some 44 Burberry coats are big on me.

-spence

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd use this thread instead of starting a new one.

I intend to buy a overcoat and use a suit under. If the shoulder width (shoulder seam to shoulder seam) on my suits is 18-18,5", what should the shoulder width be on the overcoat? +1"? +2"?

Same thing goes for chest width, which is 20-20,5" on my suits. What should the chest width on the overcoat be?

I'm, of course speaking in general and am aware of that I wont get a exact scientific answer. I just need some rule of thumb to know what to search for at the Internet.

Thanks in advance.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever size suit you wear you should get the same in a overcoat. They are constructed with wearing a suit underneath

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever size suit you wear you should get the same in a overcoat. They are constructed with wearing a suit underneath
Thank you for your answer. Although, that can't be right since different makers construct garments in different sizes. Therefor it should be safer to go by shoulder and chest width, right?

For example, my size 38" TM Lewin suit is 17,5-18" in shoulder width while my size 38" Zegna Sport coat is 18,5" in shoulder width. Comparing to a 38" Brioni, Caruso or Belvest overcoat the shoulder width can vary from 18"-20". The 18" shoulder width overcoat (can't remember which of them) should therefor be to small for my suits/SCs. Therefor my question; how much allowance should it be between a suit and overcoat concerning the shoulder width and chest width. =)

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try them in a shop to see what actually fits over the jacket. Really no other alternative.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads