• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My own amateurish adventures in antiquing (featuring CT Jodhpurs)

Leonard Leroy

Reaction score
I was asked to post results of this a while back, never did... But here it is.

when I just got them!

boots-1.jpg

botts.jpg

**** job with allen edmond self applicator polish
boots1.jpg

boots.jpg

Now (with kiwi brown, cordovan, and navy blue)

bottes.jpg

botte2.jpg

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought these same shoes. I just now got an email saying they are on backorder til Nov 23. Also, I agree with Benjamin. They still look good how you have them now but they seem a bit less likely to be worn with a suiting option.

I plan on antiquing mine too, but I am scared. I might pay an SF member to do them so I have a good example to go by.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how is the quality on the leather/construction? i was thinking of buying those as well...

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
would it be
devil.gif
to say I like this one the best?

boots-1.jpg

Leonard Leroy

Reaction score
Eh, I wanted them to be my beater boots. I'll wear my alden cordovan oxfords with a suit. These are my beater boots that I wear with jeans. The original cedar color was too much for a casual white t and jeans look. And I just really, really wanted burgundy. Burgundy is the best. If I were to make a club, it would be the burgundy club.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
personally, I like them untouched as well, and I almost never use cordovan (other than navy codovan to highlight) because it's got too much red in it for my taste, but I guess since you like burgundy, then it will get you closer to your goal without resorting to dyes

see Ron R's recent update to his antiquing thread....the first pair of tan boots is what you should aspire to, imho

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=45530&page=4

he may have used dyes on the front part of the boot, but I'm guessing it's just layers of polishes

PM him and ask

Leonard Leroy

Reaction score
the cedar reallly had no place in my wardrobe unfortunately. I don't have any formal wear... Maybe I should post pics of them being worn?

Skyhigh

Reaction score
Here is my first attemt with shoe antiquing. I used pigment to dye the leather, combining blue, burnt sienna, dark brown and black, in several layers applied together with acetone. I like the result a lot, even though the shoe is old. This was a test before I attack some of my more expensive shoes.

During work:
shoe1.jpg

1) The shoe after acetone rubbing. 2) My pigments. 3) The blue pigment 4) My old gucci tie to give the shoe proper shine.

Result:

shoe2.jpg

Any comments, tips etc.?

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
boots.jpg

Looked the best here...

+2 Though I've never tried antiquing, judging by what people have posted here it would seem to be easier to successfully achieve a more pronounced effect than a subtler one. Anyway with boots, if you're going to antique them, you may as well stick with a bolder look.

Nativefx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I bought these same shoes. I just now got an email saying they are on backorder til Nov 23. Also, I agree with Benjamin. They still look good how you have them now but they seem a bit less likely to be worn with a suiting option.

I plan on antiquing mine too, but I am scared. I might pay an SF member to do them so I have a good example to go by.

Originally Posted by stickonatree
how is the quality on the leather/construction? i was thinking of buying those as well...

I like the look of these boots myself and also wondered where people ordered these and also if someone could tell us about the quality of leather/construction?

Which maker is CT? Sorry, haven't gotten all the abbrev. down.
shog[1].gif

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Skyhigh

Result:

shoe2.jpg

Any comments, tips etc.?

your end result looks like a less refined version of Marc Guyot's 'noir havane'

why did you use so many colors of dyes if black was the final color and in what sequence?

a close-up of the shoes under better lighting conditions might also be helpful for those who might offer suggestions

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was wrong with the brown? They certainly didn't deserve to be turned black. If anything I would be more interested in a reverse process, to turn black shoes brown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads