• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Cheap/ Fairly priced Eats in NYC that Youve been to or heard of...

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats the best places you guys have tried......

Ill start off.....

'ino Cafe on Bedford St. near houston: the paninis are great and the truffled egg toast is amazing

Bereket turkish kebab on orchard and houston: the doner kebab is probably the best I have had in the city only when it is freshly sliced off the skewer thing though. It doesnt compare going to Bursa, Turkey and having doner kebab or iskander kebab (which is donor plus a **** load of other things) For the best I would go to Bursa where the lambs are brought in fresh from the mountains all the time...

Katz Deli

Le French Diner- right around Bereket on Orchard St.

Johns Pizza

Shake shack...not as good as before though but its ok

Clinton St. Bakery...on clinton st. ..the breakfast and other food is great esp the pancakes

A salt and batter for fish and chips (british owned and kind of overpriced...lacking in consistency also) greenwhich and 12

Bon Bon chicken...really good fried asian chicken...near city hall park

99 miles to philly for cheesesteaks on 3rd and 12

I like Lennys sandwhiches too... its not that bad price wise in this city. The sandwhiches are packed with lots of meat

Theyre opening a Five guys in manhattan so that will be really good for burgers too

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 katz, shake shack, bereket, ino
bread in nolita is fairly reasonable. Soho Park, like a block away from uniqlo is good cheap eats. Right next to katz is russ+daughters, try whitefish salad with horeseradish cream cheese and wasabi fish roe on a bagel.

Bonbon chicken is one of those places I've been meaning to go to.

Chinatown has that shanghai cafe place for soup dumplings on mott just north of canal(and yes, better than joe's shanghai), good banh mi for 3.25 (paris sandwhich and the place accross the street), dim sum go go and NY noodletown, as well as doyers vietnamese.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
+1 katz, shake shack, bereket, ino
bread in nolita is fairly reasonable. Soho Park, like a block away from uniqlo is good cheap eats. Right next to katz is russ+daughters, try whitefish salad with horeseradish cream cheese and wasabi fish roe on a bagel.

Bonbon chicken is one of those places I've been meaning to go to.

Chinatown has that shanghai cafe place for soup dumplings on mott just north of canal(and yes, better than joe's shanghai), good banh mi for 3.25 (paris sandwhich and the place accross the street), dim sum go go and NY noodletown, as well as doyers vietnamese.

Doyers Vietnamese is the place downstairs right at the "angle" (used to be Viet Nam)?
drool.gif
We've been going there for the past 10+ years....
fing02[1].gif

I like Bonbon chicken as far as the chicken goes, but they need to offer something else besides bread or rice....
eh.gif

Check out Alfanoose on Maiden Lane....
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taste of Bengal (that's the name, I think), a minute walk away from C21, is pretty swell. Combo dish (chicken tikka + marsala over rice mmhhmm...) is $5.95. The guys are nice too.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea, that's doyers. I was amazed when I first had their spring roll, i think it's become my standard for Vietnamese takeout places, and for the record, noone's topped it.

Tigerland in LES is one tier higher price-wise, but they use organic meats and veggies and have some of the best banh xeo(vietnamese egg crepe thingy) i've ever had. Attention to flavor there is amazing, so if you like doyers go try tigerland.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Taste of Bengal (that's the name, I think), a minute walk away from C21, is pretty swell. Combo dish (chicken tikka + marsala over rice mmhhmm...) is $5.95. The guys are nice too.

Whereabouts? North on Church?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Flushing count, even though it's in Queens?
uhoh.gif

My friends used to take me to some of the Chinese restaurants there. Excellent eats and super cheap. On Main/Roosevelt, I recall.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Burger Joint at the Le Parker Meridien. Awesome food.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Whereabouts? North on Church?

Yup. 149 Church St, 3 or 4 blocks north of C21.

I just looked it up. The name is actually "Taste of Tandoor".

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
-Bereket
-Curry Leaf (29th and Lex) - good Indian for $8-9 an entree
-Poke Sushi - 85th and 1st, not too cheap but good prices for really good sushi
-Milant Deli - Tastiest sandwiches for lunch - 39th and 3rd
-Some Taco place open late on the lower east side...soooo delicious
-Caracas (Venezuelan Food) - 8th and 1st or thereabouts

redtree00

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
-Bereket
-Curry Leaf (29th and Lex) - good Indian for $8-9 an entree
-Poke Sushi - 85th and 1st, not too cheap but good prices for really good sushi
-Milant Deli - Tastiest sandwiches for lunch - 39th and 3rd
-Some Taco place open late on the lower east side...soooo delicious
-Caracas (Venezuelan Food) - 8th and 1st or thereabouts

+1 on Milant deli. I don't think they have raised their prices in the last 5 years. Great lunch specials and dirt cheap for Midtown.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
Whats the best places you guys have tried......

99 miles to philly for cheesesteaks on 3rd and 12

99 MTP is really not that good. Carl's Steaks is far superior IMO.

Vertigo at 26th & 3rd has a fantastic cajun chicken sandwich.

Also, Mayrose @ 920 Broadway, though last time I looked they were under renovation.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StockwellDay
99 MTP is really not that good. Carl's Steaks is far superior IMO.

Vertigo at 26th & 3rd has a fantastic cajun chicken sandwich.

Also, Mayrose @ 920 Broadway, though last time I looked they were under renovation.

I find 99MTP & Carl's to be commensurate, but I suppose I'm not really a PCS afficianado (e.g. the thought of 'wid wiz' makes me shudder). If you're interested in a nice variation, check out BBsandwich Bar on W. 3rd. Some fancy pants chef from south jersey put a cheeseteak on a kaiser roll w/ a fiery pepper ketchup sauce. Very tasty. The chef guy flew the coop, but franchiser was doing OK.

Originally Posted by chorse123
It is now closed. It's going to be an Italian place that started in Brooklyn.

Lunetta

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in addition to what was noted above:
- Mamoun's (best taouk and falafel in NYU land)
- Falai Panetteria (great eggs and breakfast food, cool but small place)
- Bouchon Bakery (awesome sandwiches, salads and desserts from the kitchen of Thomas Keller)
- Pepe Rosso (2 tables, 6 chairs, awesome pasta at tiny prices)
- New York Burger Company (only good burger chain in NYC... until In'n'Out decides to come to the East coast)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads