or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Colors for asian men
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Colors for asian men

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hi everybody, I didn't want to hijak the thread about Fall looks, but there was an nascent, interesting discussion about colors. They were talking about high contrast for asian men, and I just wanted to clarify what this means. I am assuming this means just wearing something like a dark navy or black shirt, and a white shirt underneath. But, then how is medium brown or greens an example of high contrast. Is the first combo an example of this high contrast? And, what about a gray suit? I think I look good with a navy suit, which I guess is this high contrast idea. Would I get the same contrast with a gray suit? If I look good with navy, for a second suit, should I stick with navy rather than getting something that might not look as good with my skin color? Finally, what about a pink shirt for a chinese man. I know pink can look good on caucasians, but I'm not sure how it would look against a yellowish bronze skin color.
post #2 of 17
Chow-Yun Fat rocked a grey suit to nice effect in "The Replacement Killers" I think it could work...although I don't really have any medium gray suits as of right now, i used to have a grey Emporio Armani suit that was pretty nice.
post #3 of 17
yellow sounds good for asians...
post #4 of 17
yellow sounds good for a frenchman....
post #5 of 17
This is too funny... High contrast refers to contrast with the skin. So a black shirt with a black suit would still be considered high contrast, see? Beige is not a high contrast color, and usually looks like sh*t on Asians. So does yellow, so ernest, I don't know where that suggestion came from.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
. . . I don't know where that suggestion came from.
Really?
post #7 of 17
I don't think that the colour of the suit is a problem as long as you are not going to be bare chested under it. It's about what separates your skin from the rest of the ensamble. Pick a shirt that contrasts nicely with your skin and then you can wear almost any colour suit you like. Just be sure to but some 'bridge' or buffer between 'bad' colours and your skin. B
post #8 of 17
Quote:
don't think that the colour of the suit is a problem as long as you are not going to be bare chested under it. It's about what separates your skin from the rest of the ensamble. Pick a shirt that contrasts nicely with your skin and then you can wear almost any colour suit you like. Just be sure to but some 'bridge' or buffer between 'bad' colours and your skin.
That's true, but I (and most other Asians I know) still look better in dark colored suits - black and midnight especially, but I know lots of Asians who can pull off chestnut moleskin and dark olive twill like nobody's business. And of course, there are those genetic freaks who, regardless of skin color, look good in everything.
post #9 of 17
Do I hate those freaks. I agree that there's a limit to this and I'm just speaking from what works for me for colours that otherwise make me look dead or dull so your milage may vary. Also, my problem is that my skin's rest state is paisty white with a bit of pink so the dynamics can be a bit different. B
post #10 of 17
Quote:
That's true, but I (and most other Asians I know) still look better in dark colored suits - black and midnight especially, but I know lots of Asians who can pull off chestnut moleskin and dark olive twill like nobody's business.  And of course, there are those genetic freaks who, regardless of skin color, look good in everything.
I echo this sentiment. Black and midnight blue are two of my favorite suit colors. If I'm going towards less stark, more "gentle" colors (pearl grey, brown, etc.) I make sure to "bridge" the contrast with the shirt and tie.
post #11 of 17
stay away from the pale yellows, it does not complement asian skin well. Dark colors (especially black, charcoal) accentuate asian skin best, as it brings out color in hair and eyes. However, dark colors on Asians is just too common and almost cliche now. Darker-skinned asians, like filipinos look good in shades of brown, imo.
post #12 of 17
I generally prefer darker colors, I've liquidated most of my collection of anything lighter than medium grey because I don't think it looks particularly flattering.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
yellow sounds good for a frenchman....
I was thinking white... maybe a piece of cloth tied to a tall stick suitable for waving back and forth....
post #14 of 17
Quote:
I was thinking white... maybe a piece of cloth tied to a tall stick suitable for waving back and forth....
I'm confused. What about the Napoleonic Wars? Um, then what about the French-Anglo wars in Canada? Hey, what about the second world war? Oh, right, needed the Aussies to give a hand there. I know. I'll look it up on google.
post #15 of 17
I still don't understand how brown can be considered a high contrast color for Asians. The last time I checked my skin (I'm Korean) was light to medium brown and I was not colorblind.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Colors for asian men