or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome) - Page 3043

post #45631 of 51453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Crowd View Post
 

 

Looks like my old Coast Guard ODU blouses, except it must predate me as I never had an ODU blouse with epaulets.

The stock number for this item says the style was registered in 1979. I don't have the first clue how the military categorizes and labels surplus. It doesn't look old or roughly used but some patches were removed from it. 

post #45632 of 51453
Does anybody know anything about surveying instruments? I picked this up yesterday, no makers stamp, and it's really heavy for its size. Very well made too. Sorry for the Ipotato pic.
post #45633 of 51453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Crowd View Post


Pop on ancient madder, I think. This is just an ancient tie in general- it just feels old, and it's significantly heavier and thicker than any of my other Brooks Brothers ties.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

Here's a better picture of the print and texture.

 

 

And, on the other end of the spectrum, here's a more modern Brooks Brothers tie that would be perfect to wear to pick your kid up from school if you needed to make absolutely certain that they were incredibly embarrassed by you.

 

 

 

Like eazye mentioned, the label with "Brooks Brothers" in script is newer. IIRC, it's the second newest tie label. Newest ones have Script with "Makers & Merchants" below. That pattern looks textbook for Ancient Madder fabric, which feels chalky against your hand.

post #45634 of 51453

Last night, I dreamt that I went to the LuxeSwap store. In the dream it turned out that Spoo was actually Freddie Prinze Jr. and he told me that he would never in a million years wear used clothing. All of the employees were like 1-2 foot tall imps and rode around motorized carts, yelling at people to get out of their way. It was fucking awesome.

post #45635 of 51453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirum View Post
 

 

Like eazye mentioned, the label with "Brooks Brothers" in script is newer. IIRC, it's the second newest tie label. Newest ones have Script with "Makers & Merchants" below. That pattern looks textbook for Ancient Madder fabric, which feels chalky against your hand.

 

It does feel chalky! I thought that might be because of the age of the silk, it never occurred to me that it might be a property of the dye. Thanks for your help, I am always blown away by the amount of knowledge on this forum.

post #45636 of 51453
Legit Dsquared?


post #45637 of 51453
Don't quote me on this, but I believe I read that you cannot get "true" ancient madder anymore because one or more of the original dyes used was found to be toxic. The only way to get the real deal is to go with vintage.
post #45638 of 51453


post #45639 of 51453
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post

Don't quote me on this, but I believe I read that you cannot get "true" ancient madder anymore because one or more of the original dyes used was found to be toxic. The only way to get the real deal is to go with vintage.


I just did a little reading up as a result of this thread and I found an AAAC thread where someone was saying that they used to use lime to roughen the silk in order to get the hand feel and dye adherence they wanted. Lime has since been banned, so I guess they found other ways to treat the silk- as it sounds like it was more of a physical process than a chemical one, I imagine modern ancient madder is quite similar to the lime-based variety.

post #45640 of 51453
Mostly e thrifts.

LVC x2. Both gone already


Burb

Love this dildo tweed

RRL house dress, couple RRL shirts and a dope bay meadows LVC

The house dress

NWT selvedge shooting shirt
post #45641 of 51453
Quote:
Originally Posted by impuntura View Post



 

I'm pretty sure (perhaps not), you are looking at something I saw this weekend (looks like the same store, same name of store anyway).

Was it in the "medium" section.

 

I know Vicuna is a thing, but didn't know enough to know if that jacket was a "kop" or not.  Feel free to educate me.

post #45642 of 51453
Vicuna is one of the worlds rarest and most expensive fibers.
post #45643 of 51453
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddahman View Post

From my thousands of miles away I like to imagine you rock up to the LuxeSwap store in this and just give directions from a thrifted throne in the middle of the shop floor.

If you'd like to schedule an appointment, I can appease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post

Does anybody know anything about surveying instruments? I picked this up yesterday, no makers stamp, and it's really heavy for its size. Very well made too. Sorry for the Ipotato pic.

Hey, I used that when I played Myst! That was at the top of the lookout tower, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Main Man View Post

Last night, I dreamt that I went to the LuxeSwap store. In the dream it turned out that Spoo was actually Freddie Prinze Jr. and he told me that he would never in a million years wear used clothing. All of the employees were like 1-2 foot tall imps and rode around motorized carts, yelling at people to get out of their way. It was fucking awesome.

I love my fucking oompa loompas.

But seriously, another Spoo dream? What is up with that?! I spend more time on SF than anyone and I don't think Ive ever had a SF dream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post

Vicuna is one of the worlds rarest and most expensive fibers.

Truth. But those HK based "bespoke" mixes of vicuna and wool or even vicuna and cashmere usually feel like shit and I would be pretty surprised if they contained actual vicuna. Not shitting on the find at all, I would have taken it - but its not really the vicuna you're looking for. You want either black, navy, or natural solids, usually used for outerwear and not suits, and they should be pure.
post #45644 of 51453
Vicuña are cousins to llamas and alpacas, they aren't domesticated. They starve themselves in captivity. In order to harvest their wool, you have to catch one, shear it and release it. It's an incredible amount of work (obviously) to get a small amount of wool. The wool itself is lightweight and warm, making it desirable. Vicuña are protected and you couldn't get the material for a number of years.

For all of these reasons, it's expensive. Even a small amount of vicuña in a modern garment (~5%) is still advertised with a tag.
post #45645 of 51453
@SpooPoker
I had to buy the cheat book from Costco to beat myst
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)