or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome) - Page 2927

post #43891 of 51060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post
 

loopwheeled shirts are sewn on large cyclinders so they are perfectly proportionately round and have no seams.... they no longer make them in the US, just Japan now and they're a ton, but they are seamless on both sides, maintaining perfect fit and shape, America got rid of those machines in like the 50's.... you find one, cop, it'll be your favorite shirt.

 

How do they differ from "tubular construction" t-shirts?

i'm wearing one now, brand name Tultex, made in Mexico.  Has no side seams, though does have seams across the tops of the shoulders, where the sleeves attach to the shirt, and on the underside of the sleeves.

post #43892 of 51060

Made it out for a few days. A couple were the equivalent of that tie haul, meh...but then a couple I kinda got it goin...

 

Middle is T&A

 

POP POP....I have thrifted my fair share Kiton over the years yes, however never have I ever thrifted a goddamn Dress Shirt...x2!......Also new Engineered Garments floral shirt and a Beams Japan Henley for good measure

 

 

Vtg Polo 100% Silk A-1 Jacket...sick..

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Navy Suit ....not Tom Ford

 

 

Grabbed this and then spaced and totally forgot to try and reunite...never buy orphans...gotta go back, hope the pants are there..

 

Tha Row

 

 

x2....3 Piece w/ custom 100% Silk Lining.....it's strange though, they moved off the Row a few years later...They are no longer in business

 

 

Usually don't do solid black but this fabric was so nice I had to

 

 

New Model...93% Cash

 

Solid navy suit

 

75% Cash 25% Silk

 

 

 

 

And lastly, to go with the shirts...

 

 

Fin.

post #43893 of 51060

modern jersey and fleece knitting machines are circular. so the side seams aren't really at issue. 

 

long story short, modern knitting machines use latch needles and the old loopwheelers use spring beard needles. it boils down to how the mechanisms manage tension. if you've got a hard spun yarn i can't see that it would make any difference whatsoever. 

 

i've never fucked with the loopwheeled shirts but i do have a nike x LW hoodie and it's nice (it's got a super deep pile on the wrong side) but it can't hold a candle to the Champion reverse weave warmups from the 80s (be sure to find the ones with rayon/viscose in them, they have to be the tri-blends). they're tough (almost leathery) on the outside but you can wear em without an undershirt the pile is so soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeedMachine View Post
 

 

How do they differ from "tubular construction" t-shirts?

i'm wearing one now, brand name Tultex, made in Mexico.  Has no side seams, though does have seams across the tops of the shoulders, where the sleeves attach to the shirt, and on the underside of the sleeves.

post #43894 of 51060
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post
 

modern jersey and fleece knitting machines are circular. so the side seams aren't really at issue. 

 

long story short, modern knitting machines use latch needles and the old loopwheelers use spring beard needles. it boils down to how the mechanisms manage tension. if you've got a hard spun yarn i can't see that it would make any difference whatsoever. 

 

i've never fucked with the loopwheeled shirts but i do have a nike x LW hoodie and it's nice (it's got a super deep pile on the wrong side) but it can't hold a candle to the Champion reverse weave warmups from the 80s (be sure to find the ones with rayon/viscose in them, they have to be the tri-blends). they're tough (almost leathery) on the outside but you can wear em without an undershirt the pile is so soft.

When weaving on a loopwheeler, it was a solid piece though, making the demand for them so high now since Japan is the only place still utilizing them. And I was referring to the benefits strictly of the T-Shirt shape especially since it's so hard to find a quality basic shirt these days that'll last a few washes, not heavier knits like sweats and stuff.....I didn't realize it was the loopwheeler in combination with the knitting tension and technique that also played a role, never crossed my mind..

post #43895 of 51060

There is so much damn knowledge on this thread.  It's amazing.

post #43896 of 51060
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeedMachine View Post
 

 

How do they differ from "tubular construction" t-shirts?

i'm wearing one now, brand name Tultex, made in Mexico.  Has no side seams, though does have seams across the tops of the shoulders, where the sleeves attach to the shirt, and on the underside of the sleeves.

You know what? I have no clue... I'm sure those are just new versions of the older loopwheelers, had no clue there were new versions of the shirts, kinda decreases the value of the hundreds the Japanese would like for theirs...

post #43897 of 51060
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeedMachine View Post
 

 

How do they differ from "tubular construction" t-shirts?

i'm wearing one now, brand name Tultex, made in Mexico.  Has no side seams, though does have seams across the tops of the shoulders, where the sleeves attach to the shirt, and on the underside of the sleeves.

You use them as undershirts or do they work as a t-shirt to toss on for whatever? They last washes?

post #43898 of 51060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post
 

You use them as undershirts or do they work as a t-shirt to toss on for whatever? They last washes?

Been wearing my Lands Ends for at least a year. No pilling, loss of color, or stretching. 

post #43899 of 51060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post
 

You use them as undershirts or do they work as a t-shirt to toss on for whatever? They last washes?

 

The one I have (that I am aware of - never thought to check for side seams before and just happened to be wearing it when this subject came up here - may or may not have others) is a graphic t-shirt I bought online.  Only wore it a half dozen times, held up fine so far.  [For you Alabama boys or Tosh fans, it's a Prancing Elites t-shirt]

post #43900 of 51060
Quote:
Originally Posted by impuntura View Post

also from today...

first? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by concealed View Post

i think spoo found a piccolo shirt like a week ago if not mistaken, great MCM haul @impuntura
 


Nah even that's not a first. I found 12 of them or so at true thrift about 2 years ago. Still have one left that I kept for personal use.

Found another at a consignment shop a few months back also. They're badass.

---

Jompso what size is that brown kitten? She nice.
post #43901 of 51060
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMcL View Post

Jompso what size is that brown kitten? She nice.

I know, I saw it on the rack and the first thought was please be Kit Cash, brown and blue are the best colorway....unfortunately it's big boy size, 48L US...so won't work for ya, sorry..

post #43902 of 51060
Recent size 40 Belvest super 150s suit icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)







post #43903 of 51060
With Gene Wilder passing thought I might "thrift"one of his sartorial jokes on how he met Mel Brooks...

In his first major role on Broadway, 1963 production of Bertolt Brecht’s “Mother Courage and Her Children.” The production ran for less than two months, and he came to believe that he had been miscast. The good news was that he met the boyfriend of the star, Anne Bancroft: Mel Brooks, who wore a pea coat the night he met Mr. Wilder backstage and told him, “You know, they used to call these urine jackets, but they didn’t sell.”

So began the conversation that ultimately led to “The Producers.”
post #43904 of 51060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post

I know, I saw it on the rack and the first thought was please be Kit Cash, brown and blue are the best colorway....unfortunately it's big boy size, 48L US...so won't work for ya, sorry..
frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by wumpyfish View Post

With Gene Wilder passing ...
Even bigger frown.gif
I'm behind on my news. I has a very, very, very big sad.
post #43905 of 51060
Serious question. Who the hell doesn't need Stubbs & Wootton Blackbeard embroidered slippers for $40 shipped??
One of my favorite frequently misspelled listings.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)