or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome) - Page 2366

post #35476 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplelabel View Post

Is this worth picking up for £10? Not heard of Golden Fleece before.




That is Spiewak: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiewak I'd have to do more research on eBay to see if that one is worth it. Initially it doesn't look like it. Vintage Spiewak is typically better.

post #35477 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickd View Post


Nice - you have good taste in cars.

I've ridden in both of them.

 

One time, after a day of hardcore thrifting, Spoo and I even had my wife in the back seat of the Masi.....while there was a dead chick stuffed in the trunk.

 

:hide: 

post #35478 of 51252

Oops, wrong thread ^

post #35479 of 51252
You might need to start a new thread for that^

Does anyone recognize this? Went through the labels with Eazye, sent texts out, and no answer. Might pick it up anyway.

post #35480 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwarebandit View Post

You might need to start a new thread for that^

Does anyone recognize this? Went through the labels with Eazye, sent texts out, and no answer. Might pick it up anyway.

Without a doubt, I have absolutely seen this label before.

post #35481 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post
 

 

 
 

in fact the lvc 1878 pantaloon comes reinforced at the knee and seat, but then it's a pantaloon and not a 5-pocket jean...

 

good lightweight (9 oz) denim will hold up just fine under rigorous wear no matter how many paragraphs we write about it. 

 

fact is most overalls and coveralls through the 70s are made of lighter weight denim. knees seats etc don't get blown out cause of anti-fit. other cotton twills are as light or lighter yet and give good work service as well.

 

and anyways i beat the shit out of my denim working and living and don't baby it or worry about resale. i prize a nice vintage fade and wouldn't you know it happens like magic. i only wear stf, some i rinse, some i don't, i just go with the flow and it all works out. ymmv.

I jsut dont see how, wwith the properties denim possesses, that bulges and fit issues and the like are not rampant on denim weight at under 10 ounces a square yard. I mean me ttoo, only unsaforized, but my average weighted denim or whatever is like twice as heavy as the denim your wearing, are they not just paper thin with easy bulged knees and seat? I seriously would feel naked wearing jeans that light.

post #35482 of 51252
We give way too many shits about denim.this is why Isis is winning.
post #35483 of 51252

i dunno? fit plays a role, so does the quality of the staple fiber, the skill and care with which the yarn is spun and loomed. the earliest lvc stuff doesn't use cone denim incidentally, they use japanese fabric, i've no idea which mill.

 

for lots of people the 1947 version of the 501 is the essential 5-pocket jean. as you say it's 12 or 13 oz raw so 15 oz rinsed etc. it seems a lot of modern designers use it and the XX fabric as prime references. for whatever reason the trend seems to be towards heavier denim and that's cool. i put mine through their paces and they don't last forever but clothing is ephemeral anyways and i don't worry about it too much. i think that's just part of my aesthetic haha. judge it as you like i don't mind. 

 

all i was getting at is that I'm personally more interested in the earlier fabrics as a point of departure. i think they have value and shouldn't be forgotten. that said, i'm way more interested in the future than the past. so these things are worth considering but there's no right answer afaik.

 

also: in b4 frenchy (...whoops too late)

post #35484 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post
 

 

 
 

in fact the lvc 1878 pantaloon comes reinforced at the knee and seat, but then it's a pantaloon and not a 5-pocket jean...

 

good lightweight (9 oz) denim will hold up just fine under rigorous wear no matter how many paragraphs we write about it. 

 

fact is most overalls and coveralls through the 70s are made of lighter weight denim. knees seats etc don't get blown out cause of anti-fit. other cotton twills are as light or lighter yet and give good work service as well.

 

and anyways i beat the shit out of my denim working and living and don't baby it or worry about resale. i prize a nice vintage fade and wouldn't you know it happens like magic. i only wear stf, some i rinse, some i don't, i just go with the flow and it all works out. ymmv.

And also to add, my original response its length as well as content, none of that was intended as me trying to show your up or disprove your statements, or your opions, or simply telling your that naw your wrong its not good etc...

 

I mean it was part me purely thinking...or wriitng....out loud to a certain extent making heads or tails or paper weighted denim back when denim was made purely for those who worked hard labor and necessary protection etc... And when i releazed the entire time your stating the 12 ounce cut and then I realize taht with that cut thatm means loomstate since that horrible treatment of denim called sanforization didnt exists yet, I kinda thought that I figured it out and that yea now I get it and stuff....But damn, 9 ounces...crazy....I mean i just love denim, my 14 ounce flat heads feel paper thin to me, love my heavyweights, I truly do love them, dunno why or how I got used to them, and they sure as shit taken some patience to break in, but nothing worth doing is easy, so fucking it, ill torcher myself for a month to have the best fitting jeans monoey can buy, no question. pure 22 oucn unsanforized in the one cut that is beyond perfect for my body however alway smade strictly with the IH flagship denim, the 21 ounces, which is always sanforized, and again, sanforized denim is aboutslutly ruined denim in my eyes, so those ones I posted droped I I showed up no later then 10 minutes after the doors unlocked.....

 

I do have a quality question for you though however, does LVC source from Cone Mills? If yes, 2nd. Is it specifically loomed for LVC or is it Cone Mills Denim? 3. If answer of 2 is 1. Compare to another pair of eans so I have an idea of what were taking about. if answer is 2. Do you honestly feel that Cone Mills produces a denim that should be considered something of true quality?

 

Ok Feel free to proceed at your leisure.....

post #35485 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post
 

i dunno? fit plays a role, so does the quality of the staple fiber, the skill and care with which the yarn is spun and loomed. the earliest lvc stuff doesn't use cone denim incidentally, they use japanese fabric, i've no idea which mill.

 

for lots of people the 1947 version of the 501 is the essential 5-pocket jean. as you say it's 12 or 13 oz raw so 15 oz rinsed etc. it seems a lot of modern designers use it and the XX fabric as prime references. for whatever reason the trend seems to be towards heavier denim and that's cool. i put mine through their paces and they don't last forever but clothing is ephemeral anyways and i don't worry about it too much. i think that's just part of my aesthetic haha. judge it as you like i don't mind. 

 

all i was getting at is that I'm personally more interested in the earlier fabrics as a point of departure. i think they have value and shouldn't be forgotten. that said, i'm way more interested in the future than the past. so these things are worth considering but there's no right answer afaik.

 

also: in b4 frenchy (...whoops too late)

Ok excellent, your preference and liking has taken a whole nother step into teh realm of my trying to wrap my head around and understand and such....I mean as far as like to pair the pieces true to the time and stuff, I definitely feel that, that's cool, and the fact that they haven't caved to the markets trendof heavier weight and alsostill solely offer the jeans of ceertain eras in the weight denim that they would have been in sold in during that period is defintely respectable and cool also....I just get caught up at Cone Mills, because Cone Mills Selvedge, in my eyes, is the same thing as perhaps Gap Cashmere?

post #35486 of 51252

Actually no thats wrong and a huge exxageration......its just the same fucking 14 ounces loomed denim for every single american made denim brand in in every cut, in the country, whoch makes other things perfectly ovious, the quality of the denim, in reference to the cotton sourced fiber lengths  and such etc.... No way its of anywhere decent like Texas or Zimbabawe (unless they actually source their own and own their own cotton feilds somewhere and if so I take that back, I don know what Im talking about as far as the basic fiber in which everything grows), and 2, if they are producing that much denim on looms that produce \that fabric sooo slow, althought  I now a shuttle will produce irregularities with out question, I just have no faith in quality control, and I once just felt som e14 ounce cone mills that was sanforized and holy shit dude, I got the Chills, that was the worst denim I had ever seen or felt.

post #35487 of 51252
Grenadine or just simple knit?
I suck at the gren game...
Also we give way too many shits about Grandine this is why ISis is winning.

post #35488 of 51252
Looks like 12oz sanforized gren to me
post #35489 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by impuntura View Post

Grenadine or just simple knit?
I suck at the gren game...
Also we give way too many shits about Grandine this is why ISis is winning.

 

ISIS is winning cuz everyone is seemingly having such a difficult time figuring out how to identify such a basic sillk weave. Or because they keep ordering Grens to rock in all their murder fits and stuff to look sharp, but their tie guy keeps sending them these....i.e. no this is woven silk

post #35490 of 51252

@impuntura not gren

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)