or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome) - Page 2007

post #30091 of 51082
Anyone catch this in the times today? http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/16/science/recycling-cardboard-online-shopping-environment.html?referer=https://www.google.com/
post #30092 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeluv View Post
 

I am guessing that is a dig at the Republican's being the party of white people. I put together a huge post, then realized I was doing the same thing I was upset about. This is a Political free zone, there are dozens of threads for your witty comments. Please don't clutter this thread with Political discussions.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueco View Post
 

 

 

Apparently, it's a humor-free zone as well? Seriously, why are people so sensitive lately? 

 

I thought it was funny.  If it was a BIG white guy GOP polo I would buy it!   Not trying to turn this into a political discussion.

 

 I am as Republican as a person can be . . .  


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I worked for Roy Blunt when he was just Congressman Roy Blunt instead of Senator Blunt.  I'm friends with the whole Ashcroft Family (I went to church and college with most of them) worked for Senator Ashcroft before he was Attorney General. I have regularly delivered a speech about Ronald Reagan to Churches, Charities, Lion's Clubs, Political organizations, I'm from Springfield, Missouri which is the not just the bible belt, it is the Diamond on the buckle of the Bible Belt, I even sleep on the right side of the bed!  I founded the Washburn Law School Republicans, Hell, I have TWO Ronald Reagan Carved Meerschaum pipes!  

 

 

Despite all this, I have a sense of humor about the GOP.    

post #30093 of 51082
I ship most of my stuff in the provided boxes from USPS, but definitely get the envelopes for the lighter stuff from the recyclables in the department mail room.
post #30094 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleprofessor View Post
 

 

 

I thought it was funny.  If it was a BIG white guy GOP polo I would buy it!   Not trying to turn this into a political discussion.

 

 I am as Republican as a person can be . . .  


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I worked for Roy Blunt when he was just Congressman Roy Blunt instead of Senator Blunt.  I'm friends with the whole Ashcroft Family (I went to church and college with most of them) worked for Senator Ashcroft before he was Attorney General. I have regularly delivered a speech about Ronald Reagan to Churches, Charities, Lion's Clubs, Political organizations, I'm from Springfield, Missouri which is the not just the bible belt, it is the Diamond on the buckle of the Bible Belt, I even sleep on the right side of the bed!  I founded the Washburn Law School Republicans, Hell, I have TWO Ronald Reagan Carved Meerschaum pipes!  

 

 

Despite all this, I have a sense of humor about the GOP.    

 

 

I love all sorts of humor, and try to keep the mood light. I'll take jabs at my own candidate in this horse race as well...

 

But yeah, it was a very white polo shirt. The cleanest 28 year old shirt I've ever found, as a matter of fact. The fact that I found it at the same place as a pair of 1988 Patagonia Stand Up Pants makes me want to envision someone wearing the two pieces together. Maybe with a Patagonia Blazer. I think that would be the most awesome Republican ever...

Warning: Politics! (Click to show)

 

Warning: Are you sure? (Click to show)
As for politics. Yes, I'm a Liberal-leaning Libertarian type. That should surprise no one. What might surprise you is that I voted for Pat Buchanan in the first Presidential Primary election I was eligible to vote in (1996). I then voted Libertarian until 2012 (except for 2008 General when I voted for W). My politics shifted a bit when I got the shaft after the Great Recession of 2008, and a bit more in the last couple of years. I'll still keep my promise of not putting anything political into my avatar until the day before the Caucus here in Colorado (if you want to know, look for it on February 29).

.

post #30095 of 51082
The Heaviest Shearling Bomber Leather Jacket I have ever had. Probably 20-25 lbs.











post #30096 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeluv View Post
 

I am guessing that is a dig at the Republican's being the party of white people. I put together a huge post, then realized I was doing the same thing I was upset about. This is a Political free zone, there are dozens of threads for your witty comments. Please don't clutter this thread with Political discussions.

 

I mean. Why are you mad if it's true?

This is from a gallop poll in 2012. 

It's not really a political discussion as much as it is a statement of fact. GOP voters are overwhelmingly white relative to the other 'parties'. You can't really argue with that lol.

 

post #30097 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Main Man View Post
 

I figure now is as good of a time as any to ask this: with the GOP debates beginning in earnest tonight, we have a whole year of being inundated with political crap from every direction. Can we please please please keep politics out of this thread as much as possible through next year's election? I have plenty of other places to get into online debates where I'm not going to change anyone's mind and they're not going to change mine. This is kind of my safe place from all of that. 

Great 6-month-old idea, @My Main Man! You sure are one brilliant human being. I want to kiss your boobs.

post #30098 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Face View Post

@Nataku brodeetz on the free 'vette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Vader View Post



Deetz!!!!!!!!!!!!   for FREE????!!!!!!!  might be lost on some, but if that 'ray is a good one? that could be this years thrifty winner.
and a fucking Norton???!!!   Yeeeeeezus. what color was the Kiton you sacrificed to the Thrift???
would daily the jap bike, Honda?

also, welcome to the "Free/Thrifted Car Club"



These were a bitter-sweet acquisition. My last surviving uncle on my father's side is in very poor health. His life was motorcycles, his Corvette, photography and computers (he worked at Intel in the late 70's, etc). He wanted to keep this stuff in the family and wanted us to come pick them while he was still somewhat able to tell us the stories behind them. This would also be the last time we would see him, so my father and I flew down to Santa Barbera this past weekend. Spent as much time with him as possible (he sleeps a lot and speaking takes a lot of energy so it was pretty much limited to questions/answers. It was an emotional trip.

We had the Vette shipped home to Minnesota, the motorcycles prepped for pickup/transport and paperwork/titles sorted out. Ended up with an SUV full of family photos/heirlooms, cameras and photography stuff and other miscellaneous (he was a pack rat and kept everything).

The Vette is a 1972 Stingray with the deluxe dark saddle interior. 350 base with a 3 spd auto. He bought it from the original owner in 1977 when he moved out to California. I asked if he thought it was "all original" and he said the original owner used to race it at various tracks in SoCal, so there was definitely some modifications under the hood. Will be interesting to take a closer look once it gets here. Spent a couple hours last night looking through all the paperwork he has on it.

The Norton is a 1975 Commando 850 MkIII. He purchased it new from the last Norton dealer in Minnesota. Was originally a Roadster with a white tank. My aunt purchased a "Interstate" seat and gas tank for the trip out to California and the bike was turned into an "Interstate". They kept the original gas tank and seat, so those came home with us. Also got a few boxes of spare parts, many NOS.

The red bike is a 1987 Kawasaki Concurs 1000. My father wanted that one. Just had the engine rebuilt.
post #30099 of 51082
More vintage. Anyone know the age of these? I'm probably going to keep em all so it doesn't really matter. Thanks vintage trad donor!


Edit:B.B. Marinella


Edited by silverwarebandit - 2/16/16 at 12:02pm
post #30100 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

Been Had Chelsea Boots, Made in England 




Deets? Size 10!?
post #30101 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

These were a bitter-sweet acquisition.

Glad you got to spend some time with him when he was still able to talk with you.  Those last conversations matter.  Hope the trip back wasn't to arduous.

post #30102 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

70s or 80s. Care instructions on the label indicate post-1972.

See also: http://putthison.com/post/49779346900/dating-brooks-brothers-shirts-i-was-cleaning-up-my

Thanks @Orgetorix!
post #30103 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwarebandit View Post

More vintage. Anyone know the age of these? I'm probably going to keep em all so it doesn't really matter. Thanks vintage trad donor!


Edit:B.B. Marinella

 

Such a great haul. That man had excellent taste. All of those are super wearable. 

post #30104 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmac7 View Post

The Heaviest Shearling Bomber Leather Jacket I have ever had. Probably 20-25 lbs. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)











:drool.gif:
post #30105 of 51082
A medium Bonobos shirt rounds outs the worst dry spell in thrift history, shrouds my body in mediocrity.

Thrift bros: I miss you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)