Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Our Gigantic Summer Sale Thread! Contribute Now Last post on 7/27/15 at 3:29pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Official Sales Alert thread Last post on Today at 5:46 am in Streetwear and Denim
- StyleForum eBay Round Up - Week of April 12 Last post on 4/12/15 at 8:40am in Streetwear and Denim
- StyleForum eBay Round Up - Week of October 5 Last post on 10/5/14 at 10:27am in Classic Menswear
- StyleForum eBay Round Up - Week of September 28 Last post on 10/1/14 at 10:36am in Classic Menswear
Buyer provided wrong/incomplete shipping information and the...
Last edited: 3/24/16
- USPS tried to deliver a package and then brought it back to the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- How should I handle buyers that don't pay immediately?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Do Not As Described items result in defect for the seller?Last edited: 3/24/16
- How does PayPal "pay after you receive the item" feature...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome) - Page 2001post #30001 of 601502/15/16 at 2:01pmpost #30002 of 601502/15/16 at 2:05pmpost #30003 of 601502/15/16 at 2:07pmQuote:
lining is a good idea , i wish there was a rave fabricare over here. Thank you.
Excellent, thank you.Quote:
Love it, thank you sparkle.post #30004 of 601502/15/16 at 2:11pmpost #30005 of 601502/15/16 at 2:21pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Nobleprofessor
Really? There is a small thrift store I visit occasionally and they have two Shearling coats. One has no tag and the other has a brand name I googled and found ZERO. The no tag coat was LONG, mens, and was $50. The other was a woman's, long and I think it was about the same price.
Should I go back?
I'm 60 something pages behind on this thread (was in Court a lot the last week and half) and I am still trying to catch up, so I apologize in advance for replying to week old posts.
I wouldn't Kop at 50, but 20-30 i buy all day.post #30006 of 601502/15/16 at 2:30pmpost #30007 of 601502/15/16 at 2:34pm
My weekend, nothing crazy but it was fun to get out:post #30008 of 601502/15/16 at 2:42pmThread Starterpost #30009 of 601502/15/16 at 2:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by Reosymes
Not sure this analogy would hold. You're free to do whatever you want with your personal property, but a corporation cannot operate on that principle.
Now we need @GMMcL to explain this better!
I'm not @GMMcL but I am a lawyer. I think this would depend on state law where the store is located. A company as large as Goodwill will obviously be subject to state laws in all 50 states, but whether it could a violation of a given state's consumer protection acts would depend on the state. Whether there is an applicable Consumer Protection Act is unknown (at least by me), but I am 100% certain it would violate the Thrift Store's own policies. Most larger chains (e.g. Goodwill) won't let the employees shop at the store they work at on days that they work and they cannot go into "the back" on days they do not work. I can see how this would be a violation of fundamental fairness to allow an employee to do this for customers. But, I am not naive enough to know it doesn't happen.
In terms of customers developing relationships with customers and giving the customer a heads up about specific items, I think that would be permissible although a given store might prohibit it. I can't imagine how much stuff is found at thrifts and the employee calls his friend, neighbor, cousin, roommate, etc. to tell them to come in and buy something.
But, considering some of the jaw dropping posts on this site and others, there are a lot of items that go unnoticed by the employees. Goodwill has their e-commerce website and they do pretty well, but a lot still shows up in the stores. Unfortunately for all us, it does look like some of the thrifts are getting better and better at finding the gems.post #30010 of 601502/15/16 at 2:48pmQuote:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Originally Posted by BakerStreet
A heartfelt thanks to the folks of this thread, especially Brianpore. Several years ago, I went through a rough patch personally and financially. When it seemed I was out of options, I discovered thrifting and subsequently, this thread. I learned a lot by lurking and just reading the original thread. Re-selling stuff, some through Brianpore, helped me make ends meet. I haven’t posted here in a while, but continue to sell and lurk every now and again. Decided this year to step it up a little as I need to pay for kid’s college. Anyway, thought I would start poasting more of my finds. Here are things from the last couple of weekends.
I don't post in here much anymore either but always here to help. Glad things are looking a little better these days.post #30011 of 601502/15/16 at 2:57pmpost #30012 of 601502/15/16 at 3:24pmSome highlights from today.
I need to thank the thread for these mabitex. Never would have known the brand. Cashmere/wool blend.
Next some nice guy approximately my size was nice enough to donate these three slightly used t&a. Thank you Mr donate. First one is sea island.
And finally I picked up this cool avirex. Want to thrift an original someday but this has so many cool details. Could not say no for under $10.post #30013 of 601502/15/16 at 3:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by Nobleprofessor
Is Oxxford Cashmere always labeled/tagged as Cashmere. I have an Oxxford SC that could be Camelhair or Cashmere. But, I also have an Oxxford Cashmere coat that feels similar and it is labeled as Cashmere. In fact, every cashmere Oxxford I have found has been labeled that way. So, I think I may have answered my own question.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This is a brag and its also a quandary.
I can't figure out what to do with Oxxford Cashmere coat
Its not my size so the obvious thing to do is sell this bad boy and sell it fast! But, here is the problem:
Two very small nibbles. They are not holes. AND they look worse in the pics than in person. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I don't think this can be repaired with reweaving.
The quandary is spend the money to repair it (if it can be repaired) or sell it like it is?
Obviously these coats sell for big money, so I don't want to give it away for cheap. But, how bad is it with the small half nibbles.
I'm far from a pro, so grain of salt. BUT I did find several bespoke SCs a year ago from the same donor. 2 in particular had the exact same date, pattern, lining, etc. Only difference was color and one had a cashmere tag and one did not. Take it for what it's worth.post #30014 of 601502/15/16 at 4:10pmpost #30015 of 601502/15/16 at 4:58pm
A stranger reunited an orphan for me today. Had two Oxxford jackets in my hand and it was clear by the way I was holding them that I was trying to match the pants. Finally found one pair and he must have seen what I was doing because he walked over and immediately grabbed the other pants out of rack and said, "now you've got the full suit!" "Two full suits actually!" I said and showed him the other pair. Ended up talking about the local thrift scene for about 15 minutes as we browsed the rest of the racks together. Was a good time.
- USPS tried to deliver a package and then brought it back to the...
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 19 seconds ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 6 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 10 minutes ago
- › Zam Barrett Dialogue/ Zfactorie - Official Affiliate Thread. 12 minutes ago
- › Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication... 18 minutes ago
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 19 minutes ago
- › What trousers w/ grey suede loafers? 19 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 19 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...