Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Our Gigantic Summer Sale Thread! Contribute Now Last post on 7/27/15 at 3:29pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Official Sales Alert thread Last post on Today at 10:08 am in Streetwear and Denim
- StyleForum eBay Round Up - Week of April 12 Last post on 4/12/15 at 8:40am in Streetwear and Denim
- StyleForum eBay Round Up - Week of October 5 Last post on 10/5/14 at 10:27am in Classic Menswear
- StyleForum eBay Round Up - Week of September 28 Last post on 10/1/14 at 10:36am in Classic Menswear
Buyer provided wrong/incomplete shipping information and the...
Last edited: 3/24/16
- USPS tried to deliver a package and then brought it back to the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- How should I handle buyers that don't pay immediately?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Do Not As Described items result in defect for the seller?Last edited: 3/24/16
- How does PayPal "pay after you receive the item" feature...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome) - Page 1993post #29881 of 478632/14/16 at 10:54ampost #29882 of 478632/14/16 at 11:05amSo to close the loop on my by the pound discussion… I went in today just because… You know, sometimes you get the Jones.
They had had a half-price day yesterday. There were no maniacs today considering it was the coldest day in Boston area in 59 years and they had all binged yesterday.
Found nothing except a) mismatched (look so evenly worn that methinks they were bought as mismatched seconds by some Maine dude in the first place and worked in/rode his harley with for some years) Bean work boots for $5 I brought home as a leather project. Haven't restored much lately l, sometimes I bring shit home just to keep up my chops. Will wear around house, camping etc
After bleach-water bath, Lexol, edge ink to match sole sides, new insoles I had lying around, a vulgar amount of kiwi wax to cover most of the issues, this:
Still not a pro but good enough for gubmint work.
Oh, and b) ever buy something just to troll Spoo?
I mean I'm sure he sees these a lot. But I bet he didn't get one today!
Edited by LooknGr8 - 2/14/16 at 12:01pmpost #29883 of 478632/14/16 at 11:10amQuote:Originally Posted by JackFlash
Yes, this is it. Good (and fascinating) reporting on this as part of the Planet Money t-shirt series:
Highly recommend listening to the whole audio version of the story. They follow the shirts to Africa and discuss what buyers look for. Also, sizes XL and up won't sell so there is a whole secondary industry where folks resize and tailor them down.
I have a buddy in Canada who ships containers of used clothing which goes to a sorting facility in Asia and then makes it way to Africa. I didnt ask about his profit margin but he was willing to offer $500 flat per container per referral and buyers usually buy a minimum of 5 a piece. There is a huge market for such items and business is so good that he is already semi retired.post #29884 of 478632/14/16 at 11:36amQuote:Originally Posted by capnwes
Deadstock Accessory Trio
Dirty Old Man "Peek-a-boo" Tie
NSFW (Click to show)
Awesome! I'd love to find one. The cashier at one of my spots (you'd think it'd be GW, but I think it was actually VV) said they always throw those out, because they're not allowed to carry "pornography".post #29885 of 478632/14/16 at 11:47am
I bought a strat in one of those cases in 1988. It had this great "new car smell". My goddamn cat puked in it about a month later.
But I still have the case. "Hardshell" is a bit of an overstatement. I'm surprised any of them are still intact.post #29886 of 478632/14/16 at 12:08pmBest dunk contest finals ever. And yes, I rewatched the mj vs nique , and that can't hold a candle (when comparing dunk to dunk - obviously having the biggest stars in the game is worth something too).
I love Jordan but would have to agree with you.... Even if you think about the last two dunks they just made up last night were niques and Jordan's most famous dunks on steroids! And that was their I gotta do something dunks! Just ridiculous and amazing show! Will send out a box from this weeks finds to snoogz this week so I'll post some thrift items and not derail with ball talk. Ok carry on with the thrifting...post #29887 of 478632/14/16 at 12:09pmQuote:
Cats can be the most ruthless of critics.post #29888 of 478632/14/16 at 12:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by Chotii
At the risk of creating a furor or looking like an idiot, what exactly makes a tie 'dated as fuck'? I mean, besides the garish 1970s monstrosities, anything made of polyester, anything 5" wide....but what makes an ordinary 100% silk tie "dated" (and thus not stylish)? I see threads saying ties are dated, but I'm missing the details that make that true. Is it length? Width? Type of regimental stripe? Lack of reppiness? The label on the back?
It's referring to the print.
When I think dated, I picture something like this. It looks like something worn during the OJ Simpson trial
Versus when you walk into a high end department store today, you'll see ties like this. They just look better, more timeless.post #29889 of 478632/14/16 at 12:11pmpost #29890 of 478632/14/16 at 12:12pmpost #29891 of 478632/14/16 at 12:28pmQuote:Testing how to upload pics from my new computer.Quote:Not true, windchill was -20 the other day and I was wearing nothing but a tee shirt under my shearling.Quote:Anything thing Frazier or Niles Crane would wear.Originally Posted by Chotii
At the risk of creating a furor or looking like an idiot, what exactly makes a tie 'dated as fuck'? I mean, besides the garish 1970s monstrosities, anything made of polyester, anything 5" wide....but what makes an ordinary 100% silk tie "dated" (and thus not stylish)? I see threads saying ties are dated, but I'm missing the details that make that true. Is it length? Width? Type of regimental stripe? Lack of reppiness? The label on the back?post #29892 of 478632/14/16 at 12:31pmpost #29893 of 478632/14/16 at 12:32pmpost #29894 of 478632/14/16 at 12:33pmpost #29895 of 478632/14/16 at 12:37pmNot true, windchill was -20 the other day and I was wearing nothing but a tee shirt under my shearling.
Dang -20 it's never been that cold here. The coldest I've been in is -5 in whistler last year. If it gets to freezing I'm staying inside. You are brave I'd be bundled up with 5 sweaters under that coat.
- USPS tried to deliver a package and then brought it back to the...
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 6 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 12 minutes ago
- › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know 24 minutes ago
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 26 minutes ago
- › Ask me about Eyewear! 31 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 31 minutes ago
- › NWT 38R Spiga3 Navy Blue Linen Blazer 34 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 36 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 41 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 49 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...