or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome) - Page 1987

post #29791 of 51449
I managed to get out a couple times this week but it's been pretty dry.


Orvis signature tweed cargos


Skeet car collection for $2? Ok


RRL first run of the reboot I think (lot 001)





Pop! My size N/A



Dunhill tailors from a couple years after the Alfred dunhill buyout. Tons of handwork on this FU





The next two are kinda bitter sweet. A regular thrifter who is also an irregularly large asshole had a cart full when I found these, so he's either dumber than I thought (which is possible) or these were his leftovers. I'm voting dumb af.






Edited by silverwarebandit - 2/13/16 at 3:01pm
post #29792 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Me (with cart full as above) - approaches register
Cashier - you know tomorrow is half off day right?
Me - yup, that's why I'm here today
Her - but there's no discount today
Me - right.
Her - (confused face)
Old lady behind me - son, tomorrow those would be half off she said
Me - right, that's why I came today.
Her - shakes head

I pay.

As I'm walking out I hear them say "that boy ain't too smart, is he now"

lol8[1].gif

I do this as well. I think it also keeps the other thrifters at bay for a couple of days as they're at home waiting for the sale rather than hitting the stores. If it's not worth picking up at normal thrift price, then it's not worth at half that. If it's something that's been marked up, I just note the position and grab it at door opening the next day; at the till while the hoards are pouring through the door
post #29793 of 51449
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by div25sec9 View Post

I do this as well. I think it also keeps the other thrifters at bay for a couple of days as they're at home waiting for the sale rather than hitting the stores. If it's not worth picking up at normal thrift price, then it's not worth at half that. If it's something that's been marked up, I just note the position and grab it at door opening the next day; at the till while the hoards are pouring through the door

Yep.

Don't get me wrong - Ive had marginal success on half off day - but while an additional 50% is great, there are not many days during the week that I don't get at least 20% off, so the great hype about an extra discount is not worth shopping without a cart (all taken on sale days) fighting off flippers AND 300 other people testing my nerves. But if I've had a few cocktails its like human pinball, which is really fun.
post #29794 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post


Yep.

Don't get me wrong - Ive had marginal success on half off day - but while an additional 50% is great, there are not many days during the week that I don't get at least 20% off, so the great hype about an extra discount is not worth shopping without a cart (all taken on sale days) fighting off flippers AND 300 other people testing my nerves. But if I've had a few cocktails its like human pinball, which is really fun.

 

 

Hmm, this coming Monday morning bouncing between breweries and thrifts? That could be a good time...

post #29795 of 51449
BEST DAY EVER AND I HAVENT EVEN SPENT $100 YET
post #29796 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CK View Post

BEST DAY EVER AND I HAVENT EVEN SPENT $100 YET

dibs?

post #29797 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CK View Post

BEST DAY EVER AND I HAVENT EVEN SPENT $100 YET

 

 

You can have a really good day after spending $20 at one of the local dispensaries...

post #29798 of 51449

Hit 2 estate sales - bought a few things at the first one, nothing at the 2nd.   What I did buy at the first - told them I wanted the 50% discount that would be in effect tomorrow afternoon - they said "OK".  Call me strange, but that's how I shop estate sales.

 

 

Kinda beat but I liked the look; "Cheney made in England":

 

 

 

  

Works, but covered in years of nicotine and sorrow: 

 

 

 

 

Hudson Bay:

 

 

 

 

Martin Denny on Liberty.  I used to have the complete Denny Liberty catalog on vinyl, then stupidly gave it all to a g/f for Valentine's Day.

 

 

 

  

1961 first press:

 

 

 

 

1966 mono:

 

 

 

 

1966 first press stereo:

 

 

 

 

And the pizza resistance, 1962 first stereo press:

 

post #29799 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker4186 View Post

Please stop doing this. Read the goddam thread. Read the last goddam thread. Use eBay completed listings. If you think there's a chance it's not a thing, then it's probably not a thing. If you won them for GBP2 and GBP1 respectively they are almost assuredly not things, barring any severe misspellings because things that are things almost never slip through the cracks, and certainly don't do so if they are made by Brooks Brothers or RT.

Christ at this rate the only people not on my block list are going to be Spoo, Barrel, and maybe Woofa.
When did I get blocked?
post #29800 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker4186 View Post
 
 

Christ at this rate the only people not on my block list are going to be Spoo, Barrel, and maybe Woofa.

WHAT DID I DO!?!?!?!?!?! :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplelabel View Post

Ok. I won't post for a while then. Not a problem.

It's not that, just don't keep asking if what you bought or are about to buy is worth it. The thing is, you are relatively new to this, so it seems like it's hard to navigate, but it's really not. Especially with items that are from such well known names. If you found some obscure SWD brand, I don't think anyone would care, but it's not terribly hard to figure out if a BB tie is worth something. If you can use the advanced search function on eBay, you can get your answer. 

post #29801 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeedMachine View Post
 

Hit 2 estate sales - bought a few things at the first one, nothing at the 2nd.   What I did buy at the first - told them I wanted the 50% discount that would be in effect tomorrow afternoon - they said "OK".  Call me strange, but that's how I shop estate sales.

 

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

post #29802 of 51449
TNM, nice score On the yazz. Purplelabel, both those ties should be killed with fire. Hooker, y u block me? ☹

Edit: before you ask why, it's because both are hideous in a 90's Fraser sort of way. Sorry dude.
post #29803 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

Sorry no clothing. Will try harder next time.
post #29804 of 51449

@AlexJ1100, I just wanted to assure you that that beautiful tie went to good use:

 

BB Thrift

BB Ethrift

Exquisite Trimmings ethrift courtesy of Alex

Square thrift

post #29805 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala-T View Post

It's not that, just don't keep asking if what you bought or are about to buy is worth it. The thing is, you are relatively new to this, so it seems like it's hard to navigate, but it's really not. Especially with items that are from such well known names. If you found some obscure SWD brand, I don't think anyone would care, but it's not terribly hard to figure out if a BB tie is worth something. If you can use the advanced search function on eBay, you can get your answer. 

... not to mention we had a discussion about dated Robert Talbott ties literally 2-3 days ago. Even if you can't read Vols. 1 and 2 of the thrift thread, at least stay current.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)