or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome) - Page 1973

post #29581 of 51449

Wow! 2 NdG pieces in the same page...:slayer:

post #29582 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Not all of us live in big cities, unfortunately, and have to grind it out a little more. (I won't complain about making a $6 or 7 profit on $1.50-2.00 ties.) That said, picking up dated ties is a bad idea... unless they're really desirable, like some of the Vitaliano Pancaldi ties. (Those are in the same category with the Coogi "Biggie" sweaters, though.)

I'm assuming this in reply to what I said. People consistently thrift insanely better ties than I do daily on this thread, regardless of location, in fact ties are one thing in these parts that are truly hard to consistently come up on. And my point was that buying ugly old sub par ties isn't smart just because they're 1.50, that the margins are terrible, as is the market and the demand, making the time you invest in listing them a complete waste when you could be listing items that can sell for a profit and will make money. This is just basic retail strategy, maximize your productivity by allocating your time wisely. Using your time to list unattractive, old low quality ties isn't doing that, and you could be living on the fucking moon and find a more profitable use of your time. And good call, pick up items that are desirable, this is a good idea....That kinda goes in line with my point. And what category would Pancaldi silk and Coogies sweaters both be a part of?

Lastly though, you don't know shit about my business, how I operate it, and what it entails, and the idea you think you have the right to merely imply that you have to work harder than me is fucking unreal. Have you even been at this for a month yet? Been tough for ya? Do you have a single fucking clue what it entails to own and operate your own business in the city I live in? You don't know shit. The fucking thread should get a cut of your sales cuz you don't click a button without asking if you should. I don't care what your intent was, implying any familiarity with what I do without even possessing one with what you do, is fucking unbelievable.
post #29583 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post


I'm assuming this in reply to what I said. People consistently thrift insanely better ties than I do daily on this thread, regardless of location, in fact ties are one thing in these parts that are truly hard to consistently come up on. And my point was that buying ugly old sub par ties isn't smart just because they're 1.50, that the margins are terrible, as is the market and the demand, making the time you invest in listing them a complete waste when you could be listing items that can sell for a profit and will make money. This is just basic retail strategy, maximize your productivity by allocating your time wisely. Using your time to list unattractive, old low quality ties isn't doing that, and you could be living on the fucking moon and find a more profitable use of your time. And good call, pick up items that are desirable, this is a good idea....That kinda goes in line with my point. And what category would Pancaldi silk and Coogies sweaters both be a part of?

Lastly though, you don't know shit about my business, how I operate it, and what it entails, and the idea you think you have the right to merely imply that you have to work harder than me is fucking unreal. Have you even been at this for a month yet? Been tough for ya? Do you have a single fucking clue what it entails to own and operate your own business in the city I live in? You don't know shit. The fucking thread should get a cut of your sales cuz you don't click a button without asking if you should. I don't care what your intent was, implying any familiarity with what I do without even possessing one with what you do, is fucking unbelievable.

 

TBF, I don't think that's what he was implying at all. I think he's simply speaking in general terms. LA is competitive, yes, and it's not easy to be successful there at all. I think he's implying that the good shit at least exists there and is found sometimes, unlike where he lives, so it makes sense(for him) to cop stuff that others in bigger cities/better areas would not.

 

IMO, if you can buy dated Talbott BOC's for .50 and under, I would do it. Same with BB's and shit like that. Put together a 50 tie lot at $25 total and get $175-$200 out of it. That's what I've done a few times and it seems to work. 

post #29584 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexco View Post
 

 

TBF, I don't think that's what he was implying at all. I think he's simply speaking in general terms. LA is competitive, yes, and it's not easy to be successful there at all. I think he's implying that the good shit at least exists there and is found sometimes, unlike where he lives, so it makes sense(for him) to cop stuff that others in bigger cities/better areas would not.

 

IMO, if you can buy dated Talbott BOC's for .50 and under, I would do it. Same with BB's and shit like that. Put together a 50 tie lot at $25 total and get $175-$200 out of it. That's what I've done a few times and it seems to work. 

He referenced my location and then says that others need to grind it out harder. The message being conveyed here is fairly clear, he's claiming that others have it harder than I do because of where I live. That they need to make it stretch with cheaper items because thats available. This is what he is saying no? What I have available to me might be seemingly better quality or higher value at times, but does he, you, or any one else not from here know what that means? No, sheer ignorance, not even a remote frame of reference. The fact that you bring up solely quality found and nothing else that comes a long with that is case and point. 

 

 

Give me a link to a sold auction where someone willingly spent anything close to $200 for the chance to own 50 old dated Talbots. I want to see this. I had a ton that I just fucking tossed in the donation bin... I started doing 10 tie lots, I had to drop my price down to 25 bucks to sell 10 ties, hell theres one still going right now. Waste of my time. That's why I said I was speaking as someone who has gone through the same tie learning curve, because I did, and I made those mistakes, and I was informing them that they are too.

post #29585 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post
 

He referenced my location and then says that others need to grind it out harder. The message being conveyed here is fairly clear, he's claiming that others have it harder than I do because of where I live. That they need to make it stretch with cheaper items because thats available. This is what he is saying no? What I have available to me might be seemingly better quality or higher value at times, but does he, you, or any one else not from here know what that means? No, sheer ignorance, not even a remote frame of reference. The fact that you bring up solely quality found and nothing else that comes a long with that is case and point. 

 

 

Give me a link to a sold auction where someone willingly spent anything close to $200 for the chance to own 50 old dated Talbots. I want to see this. I had a ton that I just fucking tossed in the donation bin... I started doing 10 tie lots, I had to drop my price down to 25 bucks to sell 10 ties, hell theres one still going right now. Waste of my time. That's why I said I was speaking as someone who has gone through the same tie learning curve, because I did, and I made those mistakes, and I was informing them that they are too.

 

Regarding the issue at hand, I just don't think he's even talking shit or anything. Saying that people in smaller markets/poorer areas have to grind it out on more iffy/average items than someone in LA isn't really big news. Mainly because LA pricing wouldn't allow it anyway. If the option for someone like him is to do nothing or tie up $1.50 per tie to make a net profit of $6-7, I'd think making the money would be the easy choice. 

 

LA is weird about thrifting. There's so much competition there that even though there's lots of cool shit, it's not that easy to come across and they know all the shit so it's priced to reflect that generally. I have multiple frames of reference so as someone not from there, I do have an idea of what that means. I have multiple friends who thrift LA(casually and as a job) and I know how competition and pricing all come into play there moreso than any other city in the country. Unless you were referring to him with the last part of that paragraph and not me.

 

My last one was errr 4-5 months ago. It wasn't ALL dated BoC's but about 60% of it was. Rest were random BB 346's, some BB makers, some other trad ties that don't have great resale. 

post #29586 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post
 

Grabbed a classic watch myself, yesterday.

 

If it works after I replace the battery and clean it up, I may keep it....that is if I can figure out where to get the correct links.

 

Seiko A904-5110

'twas $1

 

 

Now you need a matching Delorean. :slayer:  seriously, that is a cool find.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

still looking for that Databank every time I go to a store.

ORLY?

 

 

 

post #29587 of 51449
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Vader View Post


ORLY?



YARLY
post #29588 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post


YARLY

:stirpot:

post #29589 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexco View Post
 

 

Regarding the issue at hand, I just don't think he's even talking shit or anything. Saying that people in smaller markets/poorer areas have to grind it out on more iffy/average items than someone in LA isn't really big news. Mainly because LA pricing wouldn't allow it anyway. If the option for someone like him is to do nothing or tie up $1.50 per tie to make a net profit of $6-7, I'd think making the money would be the easy choice. 

 

LA is weird about thrifting. There's so much competition there that even though there's lots of cool shit, it's not that easy to come across and they know all the shit so it's priced to reflect that generally. I have multiple frames of reference so as someone not from there, I do have an idea of what that means. I have multiple friends who thrift LA(casually and as a job) and I know how competition and pricing all come into play there moreso than any other city in the country. Unless you were referring to him with the last part of that paragraph and not me.

 

My last one was errr 4-5 months ago. It wasn't ALL dated BoC's but about 60% of it was. Rest were random BB 346's, some BB makers, some other trad ties that don't have great resale. 

I don't think he's talking shit either, not that dumb, however he's speaking on a subject he knows nothing about. The issues I face are relative to my environment, they may differ, however the impact they may have on my bottom line can be highly significant, or they may not, he has no fucking clue. And yes obviously making a little money is better than none, thanks. Bums and crack whores agree with this complex theory. Thinking the best way to do that is to spend money on dated, poor quality, ugly ties though and your mistaken. Pick a different category. Or don't and try to sell crap ties for 7 bucks gross, then come the COGs, shipping, initial investment, gas money, paypal and ebay fees, your time photographing and listing, oh and not to mention they are also a product with almost zero demand, so it'll take you a little while to make that couple bucks too. I feel like I'm speaking another language or something. This is not good business and not a wise use of your time or resources, as minimal as they may be. And if you can't figure out another category that is more profitable, regardless of where you are, you either need to learn your trade more or thrift a nice fucking suit to wear for job interviews because your living on the street operating with this model.

 

Do not speak like you have a single fucking clue what this place is like. I don't care if you think you have second party knowledge of competition or pricing. You don't even have a clue, that shit doesn't even scratch the surface. After you read my PM you'll realize just how little you know and that the extent of your familiarity might as well been dictated to you through a fucking yelp review. I also notice you say they thrift LA, not that they live here and thrift here, and if that's the case, they also don't know shit, so your sources tourists making your frame of reference jack shit. I live here, thrift here, and have an office here. I was born here, and have lived here my whole life except college. You don't know shit and if the pricing and compeition is the only issue your friends brought up in regards to thrifting for a living here, there either not from here, or they live in an area located within the county of Los Angeles, which might as well be fucking mars if it isnt the fucking city. 

 

And also 346 ties as well as makers ties are not only decent ties, they have a loyal following as well. I'm sure if I tossed a Kiton in with my Talbotts I'd probably move them a little quicker. So again, my original point. I don't give a fuck anymore, if you haven't done the math as to what that would make your salary yet, or simply recognize the obvious nature of what I am saying coming from someone who is very familiar first hand, then I can do nothing else Congratz, if you pick a highly trafficked freeway offramp with a clever enough sign, you'll have a secondary revenue stream to make up for low sales. However the off ramp gig will wind up being your primary stream because its a way more profitable business model.


Edited by Jompso - 2/12/16 at 4:46am
post #29590 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post
 

I don't think he's talking shit either, however he's speaking on a subject he knows nothing about. The issues I face are relative to my environment, they may differ, however the ipact they ay have on my bottom line can be significant. And yes obviously making a little money is better than none thanks, thinking the best way to do that is to spend money on dated ties though and your mistaken. Pick a different category. Or don't and try to sell crap ties for 7 bucks gross, not including shipping, initial investment, gas money, paypal and ebay fees, your time photgraphing and listing, oh and not to mention they are also a product with almost zero demand, so it'll take you a little while to make that couple bucks too. I feel like I'm speaking another language or something. This is not good business and not a wise use of your time or resources, as minimal as they may be. And if you can't figure out another category that is more profitable, regardless of where you are, you either need to learn your trade more or thrift a nice fucking suit to wear for job interviews because your living on the street with this model. 

 

Do not speak like you have a single fucking clue what this place is like. I don't care you have second party knowledge of competition or pricing. You don't even have a clue. After you read my PM you'll realize just how little you know and that the extent of your familiarity might as well been dictated to you through a fucking yelp review. 

 

And also 346 ties as well as makers ties are not only decent ties, they have a loyal following as well. I'm sure if I tossed a Kiton in with my Talbotts I'd probably move them a little quicker. So again, my original point. I don't give a fuck anymore, if you haven't done the math as to what that would make your salary yet, or simply recognize the obvious nature of what I am saying coming from someone who is very familiar first hand, then I can do nothing else Congratz, if you pick a highly trafficked freeway offramp with a clever enough sign, you'll have a secondary revenue stream to make up for low sales. However the off ramp gig will wind up being your primary stream because its a way more profitable business model.

 

I've had numerous discussions about the same shit with people on this board. You're not telling me shit I don't know outside of how it personally affects you. That's not me not knowing shit, that's me not knowing shit about your personal business, those aren't mutually exclusive ideas. As for the rest of it, I'm over it. My original point was that it seemed out of the blue and unnecessary to jump on an off-handed comment and go off about it. That's pretty much it. What works for one may not work for another so if someone's making money on whatever they pick up, then fuck it, let it ride. 

post #29591 of 51449
Cool find from yesterday. Southwick for Jack Spade wool/linen/silk plaid sc. NWT.





post #29592 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexco View Post
 

 

I've had numerous discussions about the same shit with people on this board. You're not telling me shit I don't know outside of how it personally affects you. That's not me not knowing shit, that's me not knowing shit about your personal business, those aren't mutually exclusive ideas. As for the rest of it, I'm over it. My original point was that it seemed out of the blue and unnecessary to jump on an off-handed comment and go off about it. That's pretty much it. What works for one may not work for another so if someone's making money on whatever they pick up, then fuck it, let it ride. 

In what sense is this not a personal statement? Your taking the stance of defending a dumb comment that needed to be straightend out. And its not me its reality here for everyone, and that is exactly you not knowing shit. And when someone who just got their first positive feedback is passing judgment on the supposed ease of my profession being located here, I can react how I please, especially when they haven't a fucking clue. You not understanding someone getting offended when they work their ass off just to be told they have it easy by someone whose been operating a month, is fucking bizaare. You feeling the need to insert yourself here and continue to defend him is equally confusing. And this isn't an issue of differing business strategies. I don't give a fuck what works for him or what doesn't. I was telling someone else they are making a mistake and then he decided to chime in for those not in a big city who actually have to grind it out. By this point if you were going to read it you did and img uessing you did, my PM made it very clear what reality is operating a business here, this business specifically, and your lack of correcting my assumptions about your familiarites mean I was fucking right. You dont talk about another mans fucking business and claim he doesn't have to work as hard when, you don't know anything about this business or operating in the city he does, his fucking insane work scheudle and 14 hour fucking days, his fucking work ethic and dedication to what he does, and you also don't speak like a seasoned vet whose had to learn how to live it rough, when each new basic transaction is still looked at like a mini adventure adventure, There certain shit in life you just don't do, you don't talk about a mans wife or family, You don't fuck your friends girlfriend or ex, unless hes there too, you don't discuss someones personal affairs whether financial or professional, and you certainly don't dimish the way a man applies his trade by implying I have it easy because I live in a big city when you don't know the first fucking thing about a big city, my business, or work ethic. HOW DOES THIS NOT MAKE SENSE? I AM SO FUCKING DONE WITH THIS. MY POINT IS CLEAR AND ITS MADE.

 

And just to be about my original point that started this. Buying ugly shitty ties is the same thing as buying shitty orphans, shitty frayed shirts, shitty fucking shoes, or shitty triple pleated piss stained old Zanellas. People don't fucking want them, it'll take forever to move them, and you make no money for your time and efforts selling them. Thrift other shit that does turn over for profit, or simply don't buy those ties.

post #29593 of 51449
It's a bummer to get excited over new posts thinking it'll be some sweet finds only to find out it's people arguing.
post #29594 of 51449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanejosephxxx View Post

It's a bummer to get excited over new posts thinking it'll be some sweet finds only to find out it's people arguing.

Welcome to the internet.

post #29595 of 51449
Time for another meds calibration
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)