or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome) - Page 1635

post #24511 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeedMachine View Post

 

 

 

Are these available if so what size are they?

post #24512 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Rehashing another old question: Shrinking a cashmere sweater.

I am planning to hand wash in warm/hot water, the block dry. I want to avoid the dryer if possible. Should that get me about a size of shrinkage?

 

Just throwing this out there.... Would it be better to sell that sweater, then find another that truely fits? If its a nice name I'd hate to see it shrink too much(my mom does this for some of her crafts and its amazing how small they can shrink up) and then all you have is a ruined cashmere sweater that doesn't fit. But if its a no name that may not sell anyway then go for it.

 

But to actually address the questions, I've always heard block dry for a while then wear it when it is just lightly damp, to avoid shrinking too much.

post #24513 of 51082
Took the week off and am spending today on a monster thriftstraveganza. Been going since 8:15am and still have 4 more stores to hit. According to my pedometer app, I've already walked over 2.5 miles. Fuck a gym.
post #24514 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ1100 View Post

Just throwing this out there.... Would it be better to sell that sweater, then find another that truely fits? If its a nice name I'd hate to see it shrink too much(my mom does this for some of her crafts and its amazing how small they can shrink up) and then all you have is a ruined cashmere sweater that doesn't fit. But if its a no name that may not sell anyway then go for it.

It's Venanzi, which is MI Italy and 100% Cashmere, but it seems to fall in that "no name that may not sell" category. Only 2 sold listings for $35-40. Looking at maybe $20 profit after fees if I sell.
post #24515 of 51082
Super dry today. Very obvious right from walking in the door the racks were picked over compared to pre-Christmas. Would have been a total bust if not for this PRL tie, which I actually like quite a bit (and I don't have any green ties). Passed on Harris Tweed that seemed to have a fuddy-duddy cut (Dunn & Co.). Made the executive decision to pass on borderline stuff until I make a few sales. Saw my first Schott, but it was beat to hell.

post #24516 of 51082
If the schott is a perfecto and vintage I'd kop. Beat to hell = patina
post #24517 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post

If the schott is a perfecto and vintage I'd kop. Beat to hell = patina

Peacoat. Looks like something got spilled on it, lapel & collar edges fraying, buttons missing (easy fix, just evidence of lack of care). If it was leather I would have kopped.
post #24518 of 51082
Here in the UK it's still 'the holidays' as it's a bank holiday today but tomorrow we celebrate THE DAY THE CHARITY SHOPS OPEN NORMALLY AGAIN. Hooray!
post #24519 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddahman View Post

Here in the UK it's still 'the holidays' as it's a bank holiday today but tomorrow we celebrate THE DAY THE CHARITY SHOPS OPEN NORMALLY AGAIN. Hooray!

I hear you. Ours are open now, but close again for the new year. I'm "off" work until the 11th, though it's far from a holiday, mostly catching up on things. I'm insanely jealous of my wife though as she started maternity leave just before Christmas...and has the next 14 months off. I know, I know, it's not really a vacation, but it sounds nice at the moment!
post #24520 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post


Funny how you can tell how old someone is by the type of bedsheets they had as a kid. If I didn't already know, I'd guess you were just slightly older than me.

 

 

I had Empire Strikes Back.   In fact, we were near poor -- we weren't poor, but damn close.  My mother found some Empire Strikes back material on sale somewhere and there was so much of it, she made sheets, bedspread, curtains, lamp shade and something I can't remember.   

 

So, how old does that make me? 

post #24521 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

I hear you. Ours are open now, but close again for the new year. I'm "off" work until the 11th, though it's far from a holiday, mostly catching up on things. I'm insanely jealous of my wife though as she started maternity leave just before Christmas...and has the next 14 months off. I know, I know, it's not really a vacation, but it sounds nice at the moment!

Whatever you do, DO NOT let your wife
ever see that post. From now on nothing else will ever be equivalent to her giving birth. From this moment on nothing you do will compare with her child care role, take it from me! smile.gif congrats.
post #24522 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleprofessor View Post
 

 

 

I had Empire Strikes Back.   In fact, we were near poor -- we weren't poor, but damn close.  My mother found some Empire Strikes back material on sale somewhere and there was so much of it, she made sheets, bedspread, curtains, lamp shade and something I can't remember.   

 

So, how old does that make me? 

 

 

PS - I totally miss posting pictures of random numbers while voting for Cindergrilla

 

PPS - whatsherface totally cheated

post #24523 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund View Post

I hear you. Ours are open now, but close again for the new year. I'm "off" work until the 11th, though it's far from a holiday, mostly catching up on things. I'm insanely jealous of my wife though as she started maternity leave just before Christmas...and has the next 14 months off. I know, I know, it's not really a vacation, but it sounds nice at the moment!

Same here, everything is closed and im off work until the 8th.
Oh and when I get a kid, half those months are miine! That kid will grow up in thriftstores!
post #24524 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CK View Post

CLOSET CLEANING Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)






 

 

 

I can't read the size, is that 11 Narrow?  

post #24525 of 51082
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ1100 View Post
 

 

 

PS - I totally miss posting pictures of random numbers while voting for Cindergrilla

 

PPS - whatsherface totally cheated

 

Pretty close!  42 now and turn 43 in 6 weeks! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)