or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome) - Page 1432

post #21466 of 51252
Sneaker-heads: are USA made vtg New Balance a thing? Guessing early 80s?
post #21467 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post

I hear you, bro.

Left this bb by isaia due to damage.

Just a general thought I feel I should toss out there. Research good reweavers in your area and find out their prices. Some of these pieces you guys may be finding could still have plenty meat left on the bone even after a minor reweave. I know some places can run upwards of 80 a hole, but I found a guy who does it for $35 and he's been top rated yelp 3 times past 5 years so it's good work. Just food for thought cuz you could be leaving money on those racks due to easily correctable flaws.....now if extensive, a string of holes, or a large hole, then it's fucked so don't bother, otherwise though, may be worth lookin into..

post #21468 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by the2ndhandman View Post

@fueco is this a thing


No (!!!). Send it to me for proper wearing/disposal.
post #21469 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcRibb View Post

Sneaker-heads: are USA made vtg New Balance a thing? Guessing early 80s?

Admittedly I haven't been in the sneaker game goin on 10 years now but I'm fairly certain that the answer to this question is a general yes, I believe the model plays a role however in regards to value.

post #21470 of 51252
Purchased at a good discount at least! Finally get to retire this old one I'm on now!

post #21471 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post
 

Just a general thought I feel I should toss out there. Research good reweavers in your area and find out their prices. Some of these pieces you guys may be finding could still have plenty meat left on the bone even after a minor reweave. I know some places can run upwards of 80 a hole, but I found a guy who does it for $35 and he's been top rated yelp 3 times past 5 years so it's good work. Just food for thought cuz you could be leaving money on those racks due to easily correctable flaws.....now if extensive, a string of holes, or a large hole, then it's fucked so don't bother, otherwise though, may be worth lookin into..

 

...or check out Fabric Reweavers USA.  They did an absolutely amazing (and invisible) job fixing a small slash in a Hackett suit for me.  As J to the Ompso said, depends on the damage...and the fabric / pattern / weave plays into how well it can be rewoven, but I wouldn't leave an upper end item behind if it had some relatively minor damage and was a cheap cop.

post #21472 of 51252
Did I screw up leaving this? It was $40. The "denim" felt weirdly soft and almost stretchy, like a pair of women's jeans. Overall it just didn't quite scream quality at me, like I'd have expected from RRL.

30BD975D-D8B0-4E5F-B047-2EAE2D40D64C.jpgFC1BF3EA-6C2D-40A2-8247-4CEBCEF148CE.jpg
post #21473 of 51252

I'd go back but that's just me

post #21474 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds13 View Post
 

I'd go back but that's just me

 

I'd probably take a chance at $40.

post #21475 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

Did I screw up leaving this? It was $40. The "denim" felt weirdly soft and almost stretchy, like a pair of women's jeans. Overall it just didn't quite scream quality at me, like I'd have expected from RRL.

 FC1BF3EA-6C2D-40A2-8247-4CEBCEF148CE.jpg

it's stretchy cause it's knit. i'd go back.

post #21476 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

Did I screw up leaving this? It was $40. The "denim" felt weirdly soft and almost stretchy, like a pair of women's jeans. Overall it just didn't quite scream quality at me, like I'd have expected from RRL.

30BD975D-D8B0-4E5F-B047-2EAE2D40D64C.jpgFC1BF3EA-6C2D-40A2-8247-4CEBCEF148CE.jpg

If this is for resale I'd go back, personal, no. Especially if it's not comprised of quality denim/selvage. But a denim RRL peacoat on ebay will get you 4 times that.

post #21477 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post
 

If this is for resale I'd go back, personal, no. Especially if it's not comprised of quality denim/selvage. But a denim RRL peacoat on ebay will get you 4 times that.


It's not denim at all. it's a knit jacket (except for that patch of railroad stripe at the inner upper back/neck - that might be a yoke). Just knit of indigo yarn, is all.

post #21478 of 51252
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleprofessor View Post

Holy Shit a LV trunk?   

Estate sale?  Is that a Uhaul? 

It is a Uhaul. Was not a sale but rather me moving my thrift backlog from my house to the store. (trip one of three, mind you). Ive got about 10 LV trunks, and despite my protests, my wife made me take some to the store - but they are 1000% not going for sale. Just atmosphere.
post #21479 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeedMachine View Post
 

 

...or check out Fabric Reweavers USA.  They did an absolutely amazing (and invisible) job fixing a small slash in a Hackett suit for me.  As J to the Ompso said, depends on the damage...and the fabric / pattern / weave plays into how well it can be rewoven, but I wouldn't leave an upper end item behind if it had some relatively minor damage and was a cheap cop.

Very true point, weave complexity and patterns play a huge role. A sharkskin suit is gonna show a reweave where a POW Cashmere blazer would never be able to be found. I speak this personally, I thrited a Brioni 50% cashmere POW blazer a little while back for 19.99. It had a couple small holes, big enough to be noticeable but not huge. I figured I'd get a deal since they were grouped so close and I did. I'm not positive but lets call it $50 bucks for the fix since it was for 2. Got it back and couldn't tell anything had ever been done. I sold it a week later for $350. Now spending 70 total sucks but I still grossed 6 times initial investment.

post #21480 of 51252
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post
 


It's not denim at all. it's a knit jacket (except for that patch of railroad stripe at the inner upper back/neck - that might be a yoke). Just knit of indigo yarn, is all.

Oh shit, I just saw Indigo dye and RRL and figured denim and didn't think twice. Good call.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)