or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome) - Page 1205

post #18061 of 51106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrizzy View Post

what are those?

post #18062 of 51106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Face View Post


Very nice. Love the texture on those. What brand?


Mostly Nicky Milano. A couple are Cantini.

post #18063 of 51106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post

Could be wrong but I believe they're the Aston Martin x John Lobb driving shoe collabs
close there called the winner sands model. The aston came in colors and the tan pair had white soles not tan. The leather is like butter. There already back in the closet with there trees and bag and won't see light again for another year or if I ever decide to wear them. I've found alot of good stuff over the years and had no problem parting with it but these for some reason I just won't let go. Or wear for that matter. Weird
post #18064 of 51106
Quote:
Originally Posted by the2ndhandman View Post

close there called the winner sands model. The aston came in colors and the tan pair had white soles not tan. The leather is like butter. There already back in the closet with there trees and bag and won't see light again for another year or if I ever decide to wear them. I've found alot of good stuff over the years and had no problem parting with it but these for some reason I just won't let go. Or wear for that matter. Weird

I found some in dark brown suede earlier this year in my size. The only way I can see them looking good is on some super luxe Hermes type runway steeze, they looked terrible with everything in my wardrobe. I think I got two bills for them in the end
post #18065 of 51106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post

Ah, thanks! Just looked and confirmed. That would also make sense with me being in Minnesota. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif


So I usually won't buy women's stuff. Too much of a headache and can't figure it out for nothin'. I decided to gamble on this though, just had a feeling a cashmere suit had to be something. Looks like my gamble paid off. Retail was probably as much or more than a Kiton cashmere suit.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #18066 of 51106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboowwyy View Post

I found some in dark brown suede earlier this year in my size. The only way I can see them looking good is on some super luxe Hermes type runway steeze, they looked terrible with everything in my wardrobe. I think I got two bills for them in the end
see they just something about them. Put um on take em off kinda shoe. I think it's the toe being so pointy I feel like a gueedo. So go back to shell every time.
post #18067 of 51106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letric View Post

Ah, I'm glad you know it's a Porsche at least. 2008 Cayman S. Pops bought it off the showroom floor in 2008, and it touches pavement about once per year. I believe there's like 1200 miles on it.  

Figured it was a Cayman as it was one of the models I was considering when I was looking for cars recently. Ended up going with a 135 w/M package instead. The Cayman S is an awesome car, you should take it out for him! That SC pattern is awesome, shame no maker tags but sounds like it has most of the right hand made details (I understand wishing it was vented too) - just picked up an unvented 100% cashmere Zegna that fits me perfectly (triple patch pocket, windowpane) - awesome but won't make it to my closet since it isn't vented.
post #18068 of 51106

New Dr. Martens boots have been accepted and found Good. Now being worn with pajamas while playing Guild Wars on a lazy Saturday evening. Because why not.

 


Edited by Chotii - 10/24/15 at 10:33pm
post #18069 of 51106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post

I'm doin my best, one day at a time....and yea it's gotta be. It's not a Tux jacket or anything like that it's a solo jacket meant to get as weird with as your heart desires.

Bro, take care of your health. No amount of money or thrifted swag is worth at the cost of your health. Do 30 min. Of cardio everyday. Your cholesterol level should drop in no time. Oh yeah, stop getting into heated sf keyboard wars, that helps, too. Lolz
post #18070 of 51106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotii View Post
 

 

I've seen that discussed, yes. I'm more curious about the dovetailing. Is it exclusive to very high end shoes, and what purpose does it serve?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post
 

i think the story with the heels is if you look at wear patterns you really only need replace that rubber portion of the heel.

 

and i suspect the dovetail is merely an "old-world, traditional" flourish as a way of keeping integrity of the joint (a la dovetail drawers vs butt joints in cabinets, or dovetail neck joints versus mortise-and-tenon in guitar necks). it takes more skill to match the joint but it has the advantage of not peeling apart as easily. 

 

guitar necks are actually compound dovetails, and it's usually a very very skilled person who does this. same with drawers - it's sort of the height of traditional western joinery. i sort of wonder if there's a dude in a shoe factory who actually chisels the rubber or if it's just run through a machine. it might just be marketing smoke.

The nail pattern on an original set of heels has 2 separate jobs, arguably equally as important as they are different. First, it shows the quality of craftsmanship, it shows that these shoes are put together by a skilled cobbler who didn't cheaply glue a stacked heel together, that no glue was involved, it shows the talent of the shoe maker by nailing this stacked heel together completely by hand in a uniform pattern, which is the sole foundation of the heels structure and integrity. This works also as a makers mark...which is it's second job. Each shoe maker, at least ones of note, have a very distinct pattern, one that is unlike anyone else's, specific to themselves. This pattern allows for people to identify their work and know that the shoe is extremely well made because they know the reputation or where it's from (see florsheim V cleat). When you see a lack of nails and a dovetail type rubber fitting, it means the heels have been replaced by another cobbler with their stock fittings. They don't touch the original work, they just make sure to replace the base layer, using rubber and leather with glue before the heel rubs down to the first stack. IF YOU FIND SHOES AT A THRIFT AND THIS FIRST STACK HAS BEEN WORN DOWN TO, UNLESS THEY'RE FUCKIN LOBBS DON'T BOTHER, THE WORK TO RECONSTRUCT THAT ENTIRE STACKED HEEL IS GONNA COST A SHIT LOAD, THAT'S WHY YOU FIND THEM, CUZ PEOPLE JUST TOSS AND DON'T EVEN BOTHER. Moral of story, the nail pattern tells you who made them, who makes them tells you the quality, the quality makes them worth the money, the money is why you buy them. So time to brush up. Done.


Edited by Jompso - 10/25/15 at 12:15am
post #18071 of 51106
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelntrigger View Post


Bro, take care of your health. No amount of money or thrifted swag is worth at the cost of your health. Do 30 min. Of cardio everyday. Your cholesterol level should drop in no time. Oh yeah, stop getting into heated sf keyboard wars, that helps, too. Lolz

Thank you man, means a lot, I appreciate it....haha my war game is down and hopefully out. Got no beef with anyone, love for all, and the out pour of support for me has shown that the feeling is reciprocated by many as well. This is a great place and I love being a part of it. I can get passionate at times but I'm working on a new thing which is rereading what I just wrote and making sure I don't sound like an asshole before posting. That should clear a lot of the miscommunication up right there.

post #18072 of 51106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1 View Post


The Cayman S is an awesome car, you should take it out for him! 

 

I.... I don't know how to drive stick. :embar::embar::embar: :fu: 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2ndhandman View Post

@letric

I know the feeling.
 
Those are crazy ass shoes man. I could understand you not wanting to take them out, with such light colored / fine leather. My pops has some NIB Lobb's that he's only tried on like once lol.
 
I think my most prized / coveted / guarded item is an Ike Behar x Loro Piana 100% Cashmere Dress Shirt. Thing is like a fucking sport coat. I will most likely never wear it, ever. I've never seen another one like it, so I imagine it's 1-of-a-kind. Picked it up at GW like 3 years ago for $5.99. Mint condition to boot. I have also refrained from taking / posting pictures of it because I don't even want to take it out to my workshop...." It could get scratched, dented, breathed on wrong... A pigeon could shit on it. " 

Edited by Letric - 10/25/15 at 1:05am
post #18073 of 51106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letric View Post
 

 

I.... I don't know how to drive stick. :embar::embar::embar: :fu: 

 

At the age of 15 years old, a man trying to court my mother decided he was going to teach me how to drive stick. So he taught me. On this..

 

 

1991 Ferrari Testarossa...only one of the hottest fucking cars ever made...how a man would let a 15 year old whose never driven a car, get behind the wheel of this thing and take it on the highway no less, is a mystery to me, I guess he was really feelin my mom....babied the shit out of it too...the guy had cash and a few things in the garage but this was his favorite... and he let some little shit head take that bitch out hard..

post #18074 of 51106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post
 

Thank you man, means a lot, I appreciate it....haha my war game is down and hopefully out. Got no beef with anyone, love for all, and the out pour of support for me has shown that the feeling is reciprocated by many as well. This is a great place and I love being a part of it. I can get passionate at times but I'm working on a new thing which is rereading what I just wrote and making sure I don't sound like an asshole before posting. That should clear a lot of the miscommunication up right there.

Bro, you got mad respect for the epic grailz you've been pulling. I've told another member on here that sometimes, it's just easier to scroll pass all the text and thumb the grailz. Your blood pressure will thank you for it. Anywayz, might stop by LA, soonish...Let's go tear it up in this bitch! Mad shout outs to my boy @Snoogz for another great month! If it weren't for him, I would have been up to my eye balls in kopps! 

post #18075 of 51106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post
 

At the age of 15 years old, a man trying to court my mother decided he was going to teach me how to drive stick. So he taught me. On this..

 

 

 

 Nice. I'm guessing he succeeded with the courting? :rotflmao:

 

 

Been looking for a new car, and I'm considering a 2011 - 2013 Subaru WRX or STi sedan. Those are Manual, so I will have to learn eventually. I'm 25, and I'm kinda pissed that I haven't learned stick at this point. :embar:  I know the basic mechanics and concept, but have just never had a (shitty) car to practice on. I can buy that car this Winter if I can manage to offload all the suits in my inventory -_-... Shit, I could buy a Ferrari if I offloaded my entire workshop. #SpooPokerStatus

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)