spending $1000 on a used jumpsuit is probably wrong
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- topicFashiontagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 0 10 Blazertagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 10 Long sleeve shirttagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 14 Long sleeve shirttagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 14 Suittagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - 19CM STRETCH VISCOSE WOOL BLEND TROUSERStagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - BRASS SPOON NECKLACEtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - CLASSIC WOOL MARTINI JACKETtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - DOUBLE COLLAR TROPICAL WOOL JACKETtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15More
- itemMargiela 11 double ring belt SS12tagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMargiela Sandalstagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- topicMensweartagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:26 am in Classic Menswear
- Random fashion thoughts Last post on 5/17/15 at 12:13pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Finding affordable menswear? (chicago) Last post on 3/20/16 at 8:21am in Classic Menswear
- Menswear Shop Refusing to Tailor "Outside" Clothing | Experiences or Advice? Last post on 1/11/16 at 8:49am in Classic Menswear
- Modern Raw Denim Jacket Last post on 2/2/16 at 11:22am in Streetwear and Denim
How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?
Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- What are denim "slub"? What is selvedge? Common denim...Last edited: 3/23/16
- I accidentally spilled a drop of fish oil onto a pair of boots....Last edited: 1/29/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) - Page 627post #9391 of 170864/20/16 at 4:11pmpost #9392 of 170864/20/16 at 4:18pmpost #9393 of 170864/20/16 at 4:19pmThread Starterpost #9394 of 170864/20/16 at 4:20pmThread Starterpost #9395 of 170864/20/16 at 4:30pmpost #9396 of 170864/20/16 at 5:03pmDamir Doma, once the ghengis khan of fashion, marauding across cultures of continental Asia, appropriating as his namesake conquered...he became consumed by the idea of haute-luxe, much as khan envisioned an empire without borders. But the horsemen were too few to guard their ever expanding territory, and Damir's reach was too short to break into the closets of the clueless nouveau riche or commingle with the marques exclusives of old money.
But behold this linen coat. While the outfit as a whole is awful, this signals to me there is yet a glimmer of hope. Damir must break the chains of irrational aspirations, forced dreams of emulating that which he is not. Damir needs help. He needs to travel to the Himalayas. He needs to visit temples in Tibet, to meditate, and rekindle the spirit of genghis khan, and revive the embers of his nomadic visions. He can then be the comeback kid, return to France and destroy every designer out there, make the most insane collections, and then disappear like a ghost forever.
At least I can dream.post #9397 of 170864/20/16 at 6:40pmpost #9398 of 170864/20/16 at 8:06pmpost #9399 of 170864/20/16 at 8:07pmpost #9400 of 170864/20/16 at 8:11pmpost #9401 of 170864/20/16 at 8:54pmpost #9402 of 170864/20/16 at 9:36pm
I'm sure a few on here remembered those leather sweat pants that made huge waves a few years back made by En Noir. Like them or not, this was a very interesting piece by Complex about where they've been and their downfall of getting caught up in their own hype http://ca.complex.com/style/2016/04/en-noir-fade-to-black
Turns out John Elliott and the designer at En Noir were actually friends.post #9403 of 170864/21/16 at 12:34amQuote:
No doubt, totally with you on that. Unfortunately for some purposes it just isn't practical not to able to wash your trousers yourself.post #9404 of 170864/21/16 at 1:04amQuote:Originally Posted by Fuuma
This article and the ensuing discussion is funny but let's parse what you're supposed to get out of it (Fuumawisdom edition-tm):
- Even women in fashion tend to apply relatively mainstream criterias about gender roles when it comes to dressing (or so they say). Cause they know the topic they'll have developped a style taxonomy and a list of precise exclusions.
- Make no mistake, they see normal (badly dressed) dude and they're not into it either.
- A certain surface coherence between how you present yourself (lifestyle) and how you dress is appreciated, no one likes a poseur even though authenticity is an absurd concept.
- No one here gives a damn because we're clothing enthousiasts. With that being said people tend to react positively when you have passions and present them in a compelling way.
- Girls I know have made a list of what I and other guys are not supposed to wear, even busy people tend to free time when it is to be spent bitching.
- LAGuy dresses like an asian cowboy on a kid's scooter and his wive forgives him, he should def stop for some flowers today and maybe the day after.
- Nothing in that list makes much sense, you shouldn't trust people on the internutz
What I take away from that interview is that women tend to be ok with individual items from just about any of those styles, provided they are toned down by an otherwise more neutral/less conspicuous outfit, so you don't look like wearing "fashion with a capital F". Isn't that their general reaction to just about any of those looks? "Yeah it's fine if you take a piece or two from this, just not head-to-toe please."
My own assumption about the underlying reason for that is that women are still not comfortable with the idea of (straight) men putting as much thought, and effort, into how they dress, as women. Which might explain why they seem to be more critical of full-on goth ninja than, say, "rocker" or "athleisure" - because that style just looks more patently studied and intentional to them (even though in reality probably none of those looks is any more or less studied than the others).post #9405 of 170864/21/16 at 1:09amQuote:Originally Posted by LA Guy
Personality and clothing ARE linked, insofar as clothing is a signifier of you interact with your environment, what cultural groups you are in or aspire to be in, your consumer values, and the list goes on. Obviously, your clothing doesn't say everything about your personality, but it's certainly not insignificant, and is probably important compared to a lot of other consumer choices, especially given that clothing is something you care about.
Right now, do you wear full Engineered Garments (or full Edward Green?) or full Rick?
Clothes can be used as an expression of certain aspects of your personality, but I think what he means is that if your whole wardrobe burned down or got stolen and you were suddenly reduced to wearing nothing but non-descript jeans and T-shirts from Zara, you'd still be the same person - to your relations as well as to yourself.
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 5 seconds ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 49 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 50 seconds ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 55 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 55 seconds ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 1 minute ago
- › Quoddy Boat Shoes MEGATHREAK 4 minutes ago
- › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine 5 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...