or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) - Page 612

post #9166 of 13759
Good chunky sole shoes/boots to wear with Peir Wu/Schneider pants? I assume Ann Dem and Yang Li are two good options, any others?
post #9167 of 13759
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The questions are:
1) Are your skills transplantable?
2) Can you command the same salary in a different area?

Both of these are not trivial questions.  A lawyer, for example, in a small law firm in Idaho, starts at about $35-40K/a, straight out of law school.  My friends who decided to work for the larger law white shoe law first in Boston, straight out of law school, got $120-130K/a as a junior associate.  Salaries and wages are often commiserate with the standard of living in any area.

The only tried and true ways of mitigating this are to own a business that operates non-geographically, or to be working, mostly remotely, for a company that resides in a place with a much higher standard of living.  I do know increasing numbers of San Francisco and Silicon Valley people, primarily developers, who live in places like Idaho, and fly in once every month/two weeks, for a few days, and continue to draw their San Francisco and Silicon Valley salaries.  They don't live like kings, because unless you are really up there, money, when you have kids, goes fast.  Having a family and a comfortable living situation is what seems to bring a lot of these knowledge workers out here in the first place.  And even then, they can't work for the big companies, which will generally not tolerate that level of telecommuting.

This goes for other industries as well.

There is a woman here who used to make a very good living as a hair stylist, in South Florida.  She purportedly did a lot of rich people's hair.  Anyway, her husband moved here for school, and she thought - "Oh, well, my business is highly portable (I mean, people have hair everywhere, right?) and I'm good".  Surprise, surprise.  The customer base was simply not here.  She does some weddings, etc..., but now teaches Spanish at a daycare.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I hear you. Certainly there is some give and take with moving to a less expensive part of the country. In my industry, however, I would likely be earning the same (maybe a very small pay cut). In fact, we had an employee move from CA to Kentucky and her salary was not altered.

I come across company census data regularly, and most of my clients are tech companies who hire all over the country and have employees work remotely. The salary differences are minute compared to the cost of living differences. Being a senior software engineer in Milwaukee will have you living like a king these days if you are hired by a Bay Area tech firm
.

Yea developers really have it good these days. This is especially true if its a really good developer then the company is willing to work with them and allow them to live somewhere else.

Both big companies and startups will allow this. The big companies are more prone to offshore anyways so they are used to it.
post #9168 of 13759
Quote:
Originally Posted by click here View Post

Anyone here ever bought shoes from COS? Just want some opinion of the quality? Saw some on sale for 50% off, look decent but don't know if they will fall apart after a few wears

I tried on a pair of their slip-ons but didn't keep them. They seemed ok. Nothing revolutionary, but thoroughly acceptable. I ended up returning them because they weren't that comfortable.
post #9169 of 13759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severisth View Post

Good chunky sole shoes/boots to wear with Peir Wu/Schneider pants? I assume Ann Dem and Yang Li are two good options, any others?

I have these and I like them a lot.
Otherwise, Tricker's, maybe Alden.
post #9170 of 13759
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severisth View Post

Good chunky sole shoes/boots to wear with Peir Wu/Schneider pants? I assume Ann Dem and Yang Li are two good options, any others?

Raf Simons seems to be the obvious choice to me.

post #9171 of 13759
Postman 101's have been the best I've found for cheap. Otherwise yeah, yang Li, Ann d, Raf, some Yuketen with the ripple sole look awesome, prada or lanvin creepers (even more $$)... If you find some let me know cos I'm always looking.
post #9172 of 13759
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

Postman 101's have been the best I've found for cheap. Otherwise yeah, yang Li, Ann d, Raf, some Yuketen with the ripple sole look awesome, prada or lanvin creepers (even more $$)... If you find some let me know cos I'm always looking.

Maybe Viberg Derbies in black: https://viberg.com/collections/footwear/derby-shoe

post #9173 of 13759
Yeah there was one with a vibram wedge sole on their if a while ago that looked great but I never saw it on the webstore. Maybe it was a special make up for somebody.

If they did the derby with a ripple sole or a low version of the scout boot that would be rad.
post #9174 of 13759
@Severisth
If you're a 43 kop these Common Robbies off the bay:
post #9175 of 13759
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Maybe Viberg Derbies in black: https://viberg.com/collections/footwear/derby-shoe

Those look cool, +1 on the raf derbies
post #9176 of 13759
Been debating some of the thick sole CPs (those Geller ones look awesome) and I've always fancied a pair of black Yuketen's with the ripple sole. Problem for me is always finding stuff in my size, I have the feet of a small child/fat baby (40 in CPs, 41 in most other things)
post #9177 of 13759
post #9178 of 13759

@Severisth

 

As you stated AnnD is good for what you're looking for (yang li, raf as well)

 

you can also look at shoemakers. The grasmere from c&j could fill the bill.

post #9179 of 13759
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
 

 

The only tried and true ways of mitigating this are to own a business that operates non-geographically, or to be working, mostly remotely, for a company that resides in a place with a much higher standard of living.  I do know increasing numbers of San Francisco and Silicon Valley people, primarily developers, who live in places like Idaho, and fly in once every month/two weeks, for a few days, and continue to draw their San Francisco and Silicon Valley salaries.  They don't live like kings, because unless you are really up there, money, when you have kids, goes fast.  Having a family and a comfortable living situation is what seems to bring a lot of these knowledge workers out here in the first place.  And even then, they can't work for the big companies, which will generally not tolerate that level of telecommuting.

 

I did the European equivalent of this. Moved to London, got a job, then got to work remotely... I live in a small town in southern Europe with much better weather, no commute time, and I pay in rent less than 7% of my salary for a duplex (actually, 3.5% because the other half is paid by my gf). If I still were renting the same studio in London (which was as big as my living room now) I'd be paying over 25% (I was paying more when I was there as my salary was lower).

 

So yeah, getting a salary from an expensive place and living on a cheap place is the way to go. Although some people would get bored where I live now easily, but personally I don't miss London in the slightest (actually I try to go there once per year at most, my boss is ok with that), and I could move to a big city that would still be way cheaper than London.

post #9180 of 13759
I have once or twice thought about freelancing remotely from a bombed-out warehouse in Gary, Indiana. If any stylefarmers are willing, we could start a little enclave there and post dystopian waywt pics for everyone else's enjoyment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)