or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) - Page 610

post #9136 of 13969
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty View Post

Idk, i felt a bit of sympthy for faust. Not enough to totally agree with him because he seems like a tool, but he thinks there's something special about being an enthusiast of avant garde clothing above simply wanting to buy and wear dope shit--it's a connection to the vision of a designer, who they view as artists/artisans and that's why it's cool to them. Grailed is less about the expression of the designer/artisan and more about kopping fire jawnz. I think it's legitimate to think there's something objectionable to that, even if you might disagree, and I think it's also legitimate to be worried that the hypebeast element will crowd out the people who like artisinal stuff and it'll cheapen their silly but still very real self-conception as a connoisseur of clothing.

I guess the comparison could be made to like, high end wine--you can think a Bordeaux as an expression of winemaking ability and centuries of tradition and an expression of terrior but now it's just a status symbol for chinese oligarchs. If you've been in the wine collecting game for a while for the aforementioned reasons, it probably pisses you off for the latter, though you could be rightly accused of elitism for having that viewpoint (not to mention it's legit to be salty that they're running up the price of this thing that you like, which sucks regardless of whether or not its for the "wrong" reasons).

I think both the "there is something being lost here" and the "you're being an elitist dick" viewpoints are legitimate. You can't stop the graildificiation of fashion and that sucks for guys like faust, but at the same time, it actually does suck for guys like faust.

Also maybe i'm just used to pumping out pseudo intellectual garbage but I didn't think his writing style was that offensive either.

 

See, when I first read that I had the immediate reaction that a lot of us did, and then I started to feel some sympathy, like you. I realized there was some element of sincerity in his despair, and I'm a sucker for genuine sincerity, something that seems to be increasingly rare. I started to take pity on a man that seemed genuinely upset that something he has committed himself to (the consumption of publicly available consumer goods) had been hijacked by people he doesn't understand.

 

Then I realized that that wasn't the case at all, and any sympathy for his viewpoint is really just patronizing. His whole thought process and complaints are centered around some misguided, juvenile attempts at elitism, trying to establish an implied ownership over commercial goods produced specifically to be consumed. He says forums have "immense influence", but in the same sentence he says why this isn't actually the case at all (the complex dynamics and learning curve, the fact that they are rarely mentioned in the fashion press. His forum even goes one step further towards being less influential, specifically because of the way they jack up the exclusivity barriers. He and his forum will never be as influential as they want to be to the greater fashion universe, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't keep being hobbyists. It just means they shouldn't take it as a slight when other hobbyists show up with a different M.O

 

He seems to take a major gripe with the lowballing that takes place there, the sort of "spray and pray" methodology of lowball offering by some users (in the hopes that maybe they can snag 1 out of 20 things they have their eye on at a ludicrously low price and be happy enough with that) and the disconnect between personality that comes with buying from a forums user, and empty storefront feeling that comes from buying on grailed. These are all topics that have come up here too, but the solution is obvious - you don't have to sell to someone for less than you want to get. You don't have to sell something at all on there. If the process of ignoring lowball offers takes up too much of your time, then just pull your listing and keep the item or sell it elsewhere.

 

Hell, if you simply don't like the tone of the voice of someone trying to buy from you, or what state they live in, or the day of the week they make an offer on your item, you don't actually have to sell it to them.

 

It's an open marketplace, and the fact that you aren't committed to selling an item means it will only sell for what it's worth. If you list stuff that people want, it will sell quickly and for a fair price. If you list stuff people don't want, it will linger and linger until you pull the listing or it's cheap enough that someone will take a chance on it.

 

He's lamenting the lack of clothing enthusiasm (fanaticism?) in the secondhand market. I can understand if he was an avant garde designer and was annoyed that people were emailing him to make lowball offers on new product because they thought his prices were too high in the firsthand market, but he's not.

 

This bitter man typed a lot of words to say he is unhappy with what Other People are doing with their used commercial goods because it hurts the credibility of the perception he has of himself.

post #9137 of 13969
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptual 4est View Post

See, when I first read that I had the immediate reaction that a lot of us did, and then I started to feel some sympathy, like you. I realized there was some element of sincerity in his despair, and I'm a sucker for genuine sincerity, something that seems to be increasingly rare. I started to take pity on a man that seemed genuinely upset that something he has committed himself to (the consumption of publicly available consumer goods) had been hijacked by people he doesn't understand.

Then I realized that that wasn't the case at all, and any sympathy for his viewpoint is really just patronizing. His whole thought process and complaints are centered around some misguided, juvenile attempts at elitism, trying to establish an implied ownership over commercial goods produced specifically to be consumed. He says forums have "immense influence", but in the same sentence he says why this isn't actually the case at all (the complex dynamics and learning curve, the fact that they are rarely mentioned in the fashion press. His forum even goes one step further towards being less influential, specifically because of the way they jack up the exclusivity barriers. He and his forum will never be as influential as they want to be to the greater fashion universe, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't keep being hobbyists. It just means they shouldn't take it as a slight when other hobbyists show up with a different M.O

He seems to take a major gripe with the lowballing that takes place there, the sort of "spray and pray" methodology of lowball offering by some users (in the hopes that maybe they can snag 1 out of 20 things they have their eye on at a ludicrously low price and be happy enough with that) and the disconnect between personality that comes with buying from a forums user, and empty storefront feeling that comes from buying on grailed. These are all topics that have come up here too, but the solution is obvious - you don't have to sell to someone for less than you want to get. You don't have to sell something at all on there. If the process of ignoring lowball offers takes up too much of your time, then just pull your listing and keep the item or sell it elsewhere.

Hell, if you simply don't like the tone of the voice of someone trying to buy from you, or what state they live in, or the day of the week they make an offer on your item, you don't actually have to sell it to them.

It's an open marketplace, and the fact that you aren't committed to selling an item means it will only sell for what it's worth. If you list stuff that people want, it will sell quickly and for a fair price. If you list stuff people don't want, it will linger and linger until you pull the listing or it's cheap enough that someone will take a chance on it.

He's lamenting the lack of clothing enthusiasm (fanaticism?) in the secondhand market. I can understand if he was an avant garde designer and was annoyed that people were emailing him to make lowball offers on new product because they thought his prices were too high in the firsthand market, but he's not.

This bitter man typed a lot of words to say he is unhappy with what Other People are doing with their used commercial goods because it hurts the credibility of the perception he has of himself.

honestly, i think the most ironic thing about faust is that he's an ex-banker
post #9138 of 13969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance View Post

You say we've got nothing in common
No common ground to start from
We're falling apart.
You say the world has come between us
Our lives have come between us
But I know you just don't care.

AND I SAID,


How about breakfast at Tiffany's?
post #9139 of 13969
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Not sure I understand that SZ piece. How is Grailed different from a B&S section of any fashion forum? Is it just because of the scale?

Grailed doesn't have discussion threads for you to go on-and-on about "construction methods, dyeing techniques, and the nature of materials," but it's also not a discussion forum.

My impression is that guys on Grailed also participate on forums. It's not so much replacing forums so much as supplementing it.

 

It´s basically that, people buying stuff and not "caring" about the designer, construction process, fabrics, etc What he says there is that there is a sort of entrance point to selling, at least in SZ. You need to make a certain amount of posts (and if they feel you´re just speed posting, trying to get you post count up to perhaps start selling) you get warnings and/or your posts get deleted. So people need to engage in a discussion, or try to at least, before being able to go and put stuff up for sale, should they want that. And grailed is just about selling, so he sees at people flipping stuff they might´ve gotten for cheap or others buying something from a specific brand to maybe "feel" having said item makes them cool and like they´re in. You´ll see people in WAYWT posting fits all decked out in rick and getting burned for not doing it justice or wearing it in a bland way. 

post #9140 of 13969

e9acdc6479adc2ef2e10d759ec00805c.jpg 

 

"Sire, the peasants are revolting!"

 

"You said it, they stink on ice"

post #9141 of 13969

 

 

http://www.diverse-web.com/products/detail22152.html

 

no experience with markaware but these MA1s look great.

post #9142 of 13969
lol @ fashion right now. I am actually glad it is so trash, I can save all my money now. Like these pics say it all.

yeezy-season-2-khaki-hoodie_nuwm14.jpg

503886339_1_topcropfront?$pdp_flexH$





But I guess the only thing you size 36 american fatboys can fit into is sweats.
post #9143 of 13969
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post

This is why i got to a whole seller to buy jewelry. There is no name on the jewelry but diamonds and gold are worth value. With Tiffany there is definitely a lot of branding going on. The funny thing is i can take a picture then go to any jeweler and have them reproduce the piece.

The funny thing about those 2k boots you love so much is I can just go sit on my toilet, relax my sphincter and not flush to reproduce the piece.
post #9144 of 13969


RIP one of the great wearers of space pirate style

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36041534
post #9145 of 13969
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0JSIMPS0N View Post

lol @ fashion right now. I am actually glad it is so trash, I can save all my money now. Like these pics say it all.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
yeezy-season-2-khaki-hoodie_nuwm14.jpg

503886339_1_topcropfront?$pdp_flexH$




But I guess the only thing you size 36 american fatboys can fit into is sweats.

Where you shopping ... WalMart or the Kanye West outlet?

LOL … yeah all the fat Americans on this forum.
post #9146 of 13969
Man New Balance sizing is all over the place, how is it they can't make it some what regular and not make it into Yoox size lottery.
post #9147 of 13969
Anyone here ever bought shoes from COS? Just want some opinion of the quality? Saw some on sale for 50% off, look decent but don't know if they will fall apart after a few wears
post #9148 of 13969
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofKent View Post



RIP one of the great wearers of space pirate style

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36041534

 

Didn't even have to click the link to know that's from Blake's 7.  Great show, I'm surprised nobody's ever tried to adapt it for an American audience.  Probably not enough guns and explosions for folks over here.

post #9149 of 13969
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0JSIMPS0N View Post


The funny thing about those 2k boots you love so much is I can just go sit on my toilet, relax my sphincter and not flush to reproduce the piece.

 

The really funny thing is every time I drop a deuce I end up reproducing the equivalent of one of your posts.

post #9150 of 13969
Is anyone here an architect or a designer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)