PS I still owe you a picture of the Van Buren tower apartments in Oakland.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- topicFashiontagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 0 10 Blazertagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 10 Long sleeve shirttagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 14 Long sleeve shirttagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 14 Suittagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - 19CM STRETCH VISCOSE WOOL BLEND TROUSERStagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - BRASS SPOON NECKLACEtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - CLASSIC WOOL MARTINI JACKETtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - DOUBLE COLLAR TROPICAL WOOL JACKETtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15More
- itemMargiela 11 double ring belt SS12tagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMargiela Sandalstagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- topicMensweartagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 11:22 am in Classic Menswear
- Random fashion thoughts Last post on 5/17/15 at 12:13pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Finding affordable menswear? (chicago) Last post on 3/20/16 at 8:21am in Classic Menswear
- Menswear Shop Refusing to Tailor "Outside" Clothing | Experiences or Advice? Last post on 1/11/16 at 8:49am in Classic Menswear
- Modern Raw Denim Jacket Last post on 2/2/16 at 11:22am in Streetwear and Denim
How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?
Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- What are denim "slub"? What is selvedge? Common denim...Last edited: 3/23/16
- I accidentally spilled a drop of fish oil onto a pair of boots....Last edited: 1/29/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) - Page 429post #6421 of 171901/7/16 at 9:22ampost #6422 of 171901/7/16 at 10:19amQuote:
Apparently it's not that low rent!Quote:
Yeah, but that was out the ability to filter based on size, brand, etc. Incorporating all listings with these added capabilities would eliminate many users's reasons to bitch.Quote:Originally Posted by skeen7908
The growth of gra1led really shows that styleforum dropped the ball badly
I mean they came up very quickly and took a huge share of what used to belong to SF/eBay/Sufu etc through nothing other than word of mouth and a nice UI (aside from that brief period of fee-free PayPal transactions)
I'm assuming it was just one guy who did it with minimal financial backing though that' may be naive
IN any case is it really that difficult/expensive for SF to develop something similar?
Anyone who works in the industry have a ballpark $ figure of how much capital grailed took to get started?
And is the move to ramp up fees because they now plan to sell it off?
Eh, the point of B&S on SF was never to generate huge sums of money, it was to create a neat feature for enthusiasts to be able to trade their wares to each other. Aside from a few power users who pay to have unlimited bumps, I doubt that aspect of the site generates much in the way of income.Quote:Originally Posted by LA Guy
They actually actively tried to build their userbase from ours and from Superfuture, in a very unethical manner. I can't really comment more on that at the moment.
With our SaaS system right now, yes, it is very difficult to build such a system, and even if we were not tethered to this system, it would be difficult, yes. The only good way to do this would be for Styleforum to set up a connected but stand alone system. Building something on top of the forum system would be much more difficult than building it from scratch.
Having talked to a few guys who have worked in marketplace technology before, it's a full time endeavor, with contextual search being one of the hardhest things there are. In any case, while we may be improving our secondary marketplace, our focus is really in another area right now. Again, I can't really talk about it right now, but hopefully in a few months, you'll see what we've been up to.
I smell lawsuit.Quote:
There's no way that site is doing enough business to generate going public. How much in Revenue/EBITDA do you think they're doing at this point. If the figures were north of $10MM/5MM, I'd be pretty surprised.Quote:
Wow. Just wow. Given those sorts of fees I'd imagine that it would put quite a damper on growth.post #6423 of 171901/7/16 at 10:53amQuote:
Sounds like it, doesn't it?
And now this is not my area of law, but I'm struggling to imagine how that's going to work (substantively, as opposed to purely strategically). It certainly sounds like grailed engaged in a shady/shitty behavior but that doesn't mean there is a legal theory to support recovery. Let's assume that what we are talking about is persons working for or associated with grailed creating accounts on styleforum/sufu (or using existing ones if they're already members of the community) to PM those members selling things suggesting they try grailed instead, or try grailed in addition to sf/sufu. A prohibition on that kind of contact may be enforceable based on it being a violation of SF/SuFu's TOS to directly contact members to advertise a service elsewhere. I'm not going to parse the TOS because I think it's safe to assume that's in there. But ok, so in theory we have a breach of contract. Since styleforum doesn't take a cut from B&S listings, what are the damages? If SF took a cut, we'd have a clear definable number. And if you could show that some guy sold a $1k RO jacket on grailed after being spammed that he would have otherwise sold on SF, and that SF lost out on it's fee of 5% or whatever, then you have $50 in damages. Proving that it happened that exact way would be difficult, and doing so several times even more so. And since we know there's no apparent direct profit from B&S we don't even get there. So then what we're left with is the idea that users and transactions have an implied value -- and that is true; this is why it matters that 1 billion people use instagram or whatever the number is -- but again you'd need to somehow assign a value to those users and transactions, and then show that they went from one place to another. And in reality, people are listing on both, so you'd have to determine on which site items are selling, not just where the listings are going, and...
all that to say it seems like a pretty uphill battle. If any other armchair quarterback lawyers want to weigh in and tell me if I'm missing something, please do. Maybe it's simpler than I'm imagining but I kind of doubt it. I suspect that, instead, what we are seeing here with this "I can't comment" talk is posturing that points to efforts behind the scenes to obtain some kind of settlement offer to avoid the cost of litigation, not an indication that anyone at SF or SuFu is prepared to actually engage in such a campaign.post #6424 of 171901/7/16 at 11:37amThe point, Stanley van Buren, is not to discuss it publicly thus helping Arun Gupta prepare as best he can for the impending smackdown, but for Fok and co. to secretively plot nefarious intimidation and obliteration tactics for all who cross SF--be it sons of Russian oligarchs in the Bay Area or child CS prodigies capitalizing on a community's yearning for a more advancing selling platform than the 13th century byzantine bazaar currently in place.
in other words ... do you smell what the Fok is cooking ?
Edited by the shah - 1/7/16 at 11:59ampost #6425 of 171901/7/16 at 11:40amWhat the marketplace needs is an automatic function whereby sellers who don't post actual measurements are locked into the CESspool for a week. Sellers who post 'see measurements on company's site' for clothing that isn't current season or where the maker doesn't supply measurements should be locked into the CESspool indefinitely.post #6426 of 171901/7/16 at 2:32pmpost #6427 of 171901/7/16 at 2:33pmpost #6428 of 171901/7/16 at 2:35pmQuote:
This ridiculous thing
Still have no idea how to properly wear it but thats probably part of why I like itpost #6429 of 171901/7/16 at 2:59pmQuote:
probs this for clothing:
edit: forgot this was in 2015... february is so long ago!
this for electronics:
Edited by nahneun - 1/7/16 at 3:40pmpost #6430 of 171901/7/16 at 3:00pmpost #6431 of 171901/7/16 at 3:04pm
That's put on hold for the time being, have grown to like the color as an an alternative to all my other monochrome outerwear
(been meaning to get the lapels a bit trimmed and reshaped tho, but haven't cared enough to bother yet)post #6432 of 171901/7/16 at 3:16pmpost #6433 of 171901/7/16 at 3:20pmQuote:
and for a fit pic by c4est:
Document Navy Shawl Collar Robe Coat
Camoshita Burgundy Mockneck Sweater
Sage de Cret Trackpants
novis: c4est (Click to show)did you click to see what was in here?post #6434 of 171901/7/16 at 4:08pmpost #6435 of 171901/7/16 at 4:58pm
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...
- › Official Sales Alert thread 31 seconds ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 6 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 9 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 9 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 10 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 10 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...