Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- topicFashiontagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 0 10 Blazertagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 10 Long sleeve shirttagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 14 Long sleeve shirttagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 14 Suittagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - 19CM STRETCH VISCOSE WOOL BLEND TROUSERStagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - BRASS SPOON NECKLACEtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - CLASSIC WOOL MARTINI JACKETtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - DOUBLE COLLAR TROPICAL WOOL JACKETtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15More
- itemMargiela 11 double ring belt SS12tagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMargiela Sandalstagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- topicMensweartagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:51 pm in Classic Menswear
- Random fashion thoughts Last post on 5/17/15 at 12:13pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Finding affordable menswear? (chicago) Last post on 3/20/16 at 8:21am in Classic Menswear
- Menswear Shop Refusing to Tailor "Outside" Clothing | Experiences or Advice? Last post on 1/11/16 at 8:49am in Classic Menswear
- Modern Raw Denim Jacket Last post on 2/2/16 at 11:22am in Streetwear and Denim
How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?
Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- What are denim "slub"? What is selvedge? Common denim...Last edited: 3/23/16
- I accidentally spilled a drop of fish oil onto a pair of boots....Last edited: 1/29/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) - Page 405post #6061 of 1612812/23/15 at 8:12amIt used to work better here when there was, for lack of a better word, more homogeneity. Now with greater breadth of interests and increased focus on this or that niche, there's less of a cohesive group within which we can sell to one another (incidentally this means that within the little niches you have groups within which transactions can occur, look at the artizanal thread for an example). What's the alternative? There is none. Don't sell, throw it away or better yet donate and let someone enjoy, maybe that's a greater profit. Or build your own selling platform. Or petition Fok to reformat the B&S here so it doesn't just favor bulk buyers from MC that pay him gazillions to be power sellers which in turn lets this place continue to be free so we can vent about not being able to get nice ROIs.post #6062 of 1612812/23/15 at 8:34amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by the shah
It used to work better here when there was, for lack of a better word, more homogeneity. Now with greater breadth of interests and increased focus on this or that niche, there's less of a cohesive group within which we can sell to one another (incidentally this means that within the little niches you have groups within which transactions can occur, look at the artizanal thread for an example). What's the alternative? There is none. Don't sell, throw it away or better yet donate and let someone enjoy, maybe that's a greater profit. Or build your own selling platform. Or petition Fok to reformat the B&S here so it doesn't just favor bulk buyers from MC that pay him gazillions to be power sellers which in turn lets this place continue to be free so we can vent about not being able to get nice ROIs.
I can't tell you for sure, but I will probably make some structural changes in B&S for 2016. Instead of paying for just more bumps, I'll allow most people bumps more often, and allow power users to buy either more listings and more bumps. This will "break up" the big list of listings from a single seller that is a structural and technical issue right now. We'll see what can actually be done.
I may also relax the rules for very specific threads to allow the niche communities to say something simple like "Hey, I have X for sale, you guys interested?" as long as the listing is in our B&S, not offsite. After all, this is a community, and that is our strength. We'll see which sub threads in the community can police themselves adequately to let this work. I already sorta allow it for the city threads, for in person sales, which are just... easier, and also feed into my overall vision of groups of SF users actually getting together irl on a more regular basis, and using the forum for their online communications.post #6063 of 1612812/23/15 at 8:48ampost #6064 of 1612812/23/15 at 9:11amThread StarterQuote:
We will be getting size filtering. There is already a tick box for active listings (*cough* @Parker not paying attention even after all these years *cough*), and we are hoping to incorporate an existing technology so that you can search for brands as well (as long as people tag their listings with the brand - we are working on this as well. To be frank, the dev on the software has not really been to my satisfaction, and our tech partners know that. But I cannot personally change that all by my lonesome, or even by hiring my own developers. Such is the downside of working with a tech partner, the upside being security, platform stability, a API, apparently in the works, so that we can build a styleforum app, etc...
Even then, the strength of our B&S system is not going to be the interface. It's the wide open format alongside the community. Sort of like Craigslist, but with the safety of a much more connected community, which makes reputation much more meaningful. If you interact with people every day for discussion, you don't want to be the dude who lowballs everyone, or who is always out to get the very highest price out of your fellow forumites, or be the dude who backs out of every deal, etc...
Something like Grailed is good for one off sales, but there is no provision for the big sellers, who like a place like Styleforum because it essentially allows for massive numbers of listings with minimal work, and essentially at no financial cost unless you are trying to move a large amount of goods in a short time. For a single item seller, a high ROI is not as likely.
One other thing that I am trying to partner with someone with (we've been talking for a few monthes now) is real cashbacks. No "credit" or whatever, though that may be available as well. I have no interest in locking people in by only giving credits. Of course, if you want a credit and/or to waive returns, then that would be reflected in the amount you get back, because it would shift more risk to the buyer, which would make the cost to us lower, and would be something we'd be happy to pass on.
End of the day, we do want to make money, but we want to do so in non-exploitative ways that actually benefit the members of the community, because unlike a lot of other "community" businesses. Maybe that's because Styleforum started as a community, not a way to cash in on "filling a niche".post #6065 of 1612812/23/15 at 9:17amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum
Selling online is getting worse. Aside from the hordes on grailed that ask questions and never respond to answers, submit offers then don't pay, add to fitting room and wait until it's $11 and then send you an offer for $5...
I just got a decent offer on eBay so I accepted and now 3 days later he hasn't paid or responded to any of my polite messages asking if he needs more time or simply changed his mind, just so I at least know what's going on.
I expect fast shipping, good communications, etc... On the flip side, I always pay, in full, no further negotiations (because that is bullshit), within an hour of winning, on the outside. Usually, it's immediately after getting notification that I've won.
I think that maybe people are just getting shittier, in general. There is a great sense of entitlement that if you paid for something, you are are the boss. There has been a disintegration of the concept that commerce is mutually beneficial.post #6066 of 1612812/23/15 at 9:52ampost #6067 of 1612812/23/15 at 10:19amQuote:
This would be nice, especially if we can encourage people to make posts like this in the appropriate thread. It's pretty frustrating when I realize I've missed, say, a pair of AW12 Cabourn Harris Tweed trousers on B&S because I don't scour it every day. Swapping clothes between the small group of Cabourn, Yohji, Margiela, whatever, devotees is what it should be all about.post #6068 of 1612812/23/15 at 10:25amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by zissou
This would be nice, especially if we can encourage people to make posts like this in the appropriate thread. It's pretty frustrating when I realize I've missed, say, a pair of AW12 Cabourn Harris Tweed trousers on B&S because I don't scour it every day. Swapping clothes between the small group of Cabourn, Yohji, Margiela, whatever, devotees is what it should be all about.
Yeah. I need to figure out a way to put it in the rules in both B&S and on the main forum so someone can see it immediately. You guys have ideas? A lot of the time, more nuanced guidelines like this are hard to understand for new users, and gets them into trouble unless the "subcommunity" is good at gentle reminders and self-policing.post #6069 of 1612812/23/15 at 11:32ampost #6070 of 1612812/23/15 at 12:09pmpost #6071 of 1612812/23/15 at 12:30pmThread Starterpost #6072 of 1612812/23/15 at 12:34pmpost #6073 of 1612812/23/15 at 12:57pmpost #6074 of 1612812/23/15 at 12:58pmpost #6075 of 1612812/23/15 at 1:17pm
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 15 seconds ago
- › Truman Boots 34 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 37 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 47 seconds ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 2 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE 4th OF MARCH 2017 - THE DRAMATIC LOOK 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 3 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 4 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...