Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- topicFashiontagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 0 10 Blazertagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 10 Long sleeve shirttagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 14 Long sleeve shirttagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 14 Suittagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - 19CM STRETCH VISCOSE WOOL BLEND TROUSERStagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - BRASS SPOON NECKLACEtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - CLASSIC WOOL MARTINI JACKETtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - DOUBLE COLLAR TROPICAL WOOL JACKETtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15More
- itemMargiela 11 double ring belt SS12tagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMargiela Sandalstagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- topicMensweartagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 8:51 pm in Classic Menswear
- Random fashion thoughts Last post on 5/17/15 at 12:13pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Finding affordable menswear? (chicago) Last post on 3/20/16 at 8:21am in Classic Menswear
- Menswear Shop Refusing to Tailor "Outside" Clothing | Experiences or Advice? Last post on 1/11/16 at 8:49am in Classic Menswear
- Modern Raw Denim Jacket Last post on 2/2/16 at 11:22am in Streetwear and Denim
How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?
Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- What are denim "slub"? What is selvedge? Common denim...Last edited: 3/23/16
- I accidentally spilled a drop of fish oil onto a pair of boots....Last edited: 1/29/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) - Page 361post #5402 of 1614412/6/15 at 11:06ampost #5403 of 1614412/6/15 at 11:12amQuote:
If you are out the swamp and back in London.
http://www.arts.ac.uk/csm/courses/short-courses/fashion-and-textiles/making-fashion/patternmaking---part-1/post #5404 of 1614412/6/15 at 11:36amQuote:
Thanks, I'll check out that book. I think trial and error will be the best way, just need to get to the point where I'm comfortable enough technique wise for that to be an option.Quote:Originally Posted by Find Finn
If you are out the swamp and back in London.
Yup, back in the real world, I'm looking at this course currently: http://www.arts.ac.uk/fashion/courses/short-courses/pattern-cutting-courses/lcf-menswear-pattern-cutting-course/
Something like that is probably ideal, just want to get my head around basics before I take the plunge.post #5405 of 1614412/6/15 at 11:50amIf you pick up a book, it might be worth distinguishing whether the book is about creating one-off patterns for a single person (ie something a bespoke tailor or at-home garment maker would do), or if it's for creating ready-to-wear patterns for a mass of people. As I understand it, the two processes are very different. A bespoke tailor can leave allowances in a garment and will rely heavily on the fitting process, whereas RTW makers have to get it right before the pattern goes to the cutting room/ factory.post #5406 of 1614412/6/15 at 2:30pmThread Starter
This, from Everlane, is terrible:
No sparkles, sequins, or superheroes.
We think kids should have options—so
we’ve ditched the embellishments in favor
of mini versions of our most essential styles.
Added bonus: Parents can now dress their
kids like they dress themselves."
Is the real take home. I have 4 kids, and know a lot more, and they and their friends love the superheroes and sequins and sparkles. Let them enjoy them. I mean, they already have a whole lifetime aspiring to look cool, but not too fashiony, in front of them.post #5407 of 1614412/6/15 at 2:34pmpost #5408 of 1614412/6/15 at 3:34pmpost #5409 of 1614412/6/15 at 3:45pmYeah, but there was no morality with RL. A lifestyle, sure; a logo, yup; but it wasn't intellectual or moral, which is how the various brands competing for educated white people's dollars seem to be trying to sell their stuff nowadays. Crew Cuts has been here before, too.
I don't know if there's anything novel in kids clothes - and it's certainly lots of people trying to make money off kids - but the Everlane attempt is just more of the same.post #5410 of 1614412/6/15 at 4:02pmpost #5411 of 1614412/6/15 at 5:16pmCan anybody on here tell give me a quick rundown on whether or not the Sacremento area would be a decent place to live? I know there a lot of LA and SF people so I'm assuming maybe some other northern CA people could chime in? Basically just is it ok or would it be shitty?
Edited by OccultaVexillum - 12/6/15 at 5:29pmpost #5412 of 1614412/6/15 at 5:58pm
I wouldn't say Sacramento is a shitty place to live. You're about a 2 1/2 hour drive from San Francisco and within an easy drive of a lot of good mountains for boarding/skiing if you are into snow sports. The summers in the valley are pretty intense though. It's pretty common for it to get to 100 more than a few times in July.
It is, of course, a dead zone for fashion / clothing.post #5413 of 1614412/6/15 at 7:01pmI'm not really worried about it being a fashion dead zone (cannot be any worse than where i live now). I'm more worried about things to do and quality of life as it would require me moving my whole family across the country which we have already done twice in the last 5 years (but now we have 2 kids). I got a job offer, my first real job offer, money isn't great but it's better than the $0 I make now. Are you from there? And I didn't mean to say it was shirty I've just heard some very mixed reviews.post #5414 of 1614412/6/15 at 7:40pmpost #5415 of 1614412/6/15 at 8:22pm
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as ChetB, though I grew up a little further south in the Central Valley. I think your quality of life depends on how much you like to be outdoors. There's great fishing, hiking, and snowboarding opportunities all within 2 hours. I have good memories of fishing in the summer and snowboarding in the winter. The public school system is excellent as well (really most schooling in the Sacramento area is strong).
No offense taken about the shitty part. When I was a kid I hated living there but now when I visit I'm more appreciative of the slower pace of things.
The shittiest part of Sacramento is the Kings. God they're awful.
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...
- › LORO PIANA CASHMERE-LINED QUILTED JACKET - XXXL 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › *** The official PATRIK ERVELL thread *** 3 minutes ago
- › Brunello Cucinelli Mens Sneakers - 10 1/2 4 minutes ago
- › Ask me about Eyewear! 5 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 6 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 10 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...