or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) - Page 299

post #4471 of 13759

I mostly still think of Reebok as a prime Double Dare sponsor. Paging @noob in 89

 

 

post #4472 of 13759
I cannot believe how difficult it is to buy a fucking plastic hamburger lamp for a 'reasonable' price.
post #4473 of 13759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat View Post

Probably nothing. I just end up getting tilted at something every time. Like having my deposit automatically refunded without warning before I was able to pay for shipping so now I get bled for more fees as I have to deposit the same money again. Last time I paid them like $30 or $35 or something to remove the tags on my order because I was marking items down as they came through customs here. They were happy to charge me the money, but didn't remove any tags so I got killed by customs and then it was like pulling teeth to get them to refund the charge. There was something else another time as well that had to do with the packing that I don't remember.

That's weird. Are you in the US? I've never had problems with customs & tags (EMS).

What do you mean you're getting bled for more fees? Fees should be refunded if your deposit gets refunded.

Just trying to figure it out- not trying to say you're wrong or anything. I use FromJapan a lot and have been pretty happy, but would be happy to change to ZenMarket if FJ is bein dumpy. Only reason I stay with FromJapan is the loyalty program.
post #4474 of 13759
I've just made first order from Zen, it's much much cheaper. Service is about as fast, I found. Time to switch over my watch list.

This is the breakdown (although the 5% is inflated because it's a more expensive item but it weighs less than a sweater so shipping should in theory be less)

Sweater using Zen:
300 yen commission
1600 yen shipping domestic & international

Long shirt using FJ:
200 yen commission, 5% system usage fee = 2010
3,042 yen shipping domestic & international + bank transfer fee + 5% system usage fee
Edited by the shah - 10/20/15 at 6:47am
post #4475 of 13759
I'll give Zen another try then. I have ordered from them before and it didn't seem much cheaper, but after reviewing the fees and commissions versus From Japan, it does look to be cheaper.
post #4476 of 13759
Thinking about ordering something from Japan for the first time... If it's on Rakuten and they ship international, is there any benefit of using Zen or are they solely used for purchasing goods not on Rakuten?
post #4477 of 13759
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uninkco View Post

Thinking about ordering something from Japan for the first time... If it's on Rakuten and they ship international, is there any benefit of using Zen or are they solely used for purchasing goods not on Rakuten?

Solely for goods from stores that will not ship internationally.  Or if you really enjoy waiting AND not racking up points that can go towards future sales.   i.e. no, there is no good reason.

post #4478 of 13759
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

I've just made first order from Zen, it's much much cheaper. Service is about as fast, I found. Time to switch over my watch list.

This is the breakdown (although the 5% is inflated because it's a more expensive item but it weighs less than a sweater so shipping should in theory be less)

Sweater using Zen:
300 yen commission
1600 yen shipping domestic & international

Long shirt using FJ:
200 yen commission, 5% system usage fee = 2010
3,042 yen shipping domestic & international + bank transfer fee + 5% system usage fee

welp guess its time to switch
post #4479 of 13759
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782 View Post

I mostly still think of Reebok as a prime Double Dare sponsor. Paging @noob in 89







When it comes to late '80s/early '90s sneaker sponsors, I defer to BK Knights.
post #4480 of 13759
Quote:
Originally Posted by g transistor View Post

I'll give Zen another try then. I have ordered from them before and it didn't seem much cheaper, but after reviewing the fees and commissions versus From Japan, it does look to be cheaper.

I looked into Zen's fees when they first started and you're right, they were only cheaper for items ~$200usd or greater being that Zen uses a constant rather than percentage based fee. Seems like they lowered that fee or FJ has raised their's since then.
post #4481 of 13759
When I hear Reebok, all I can think about is that Belly's Gonna Get Ya ad from the late 90's-early 00's.
post #4482 of 13759

those reebok sandwman nonnative x myashita ex o fits are such grails

post #4483 of 13759
Quote:
Originally Posted by g transistor View Post

That's weird. Are you in the US? I've never had problems with customs & tags (EMS).

What do you mean you're getting bled for more fees? Fees should be refunded if your deposit gets refunded.

Just trying to figure it out- not trying to say you're wrong or anything. I use FromJapan a lot and have been pretty happy, but would be happy to change to ZenMarket if FJ is bein dumpy. Only reason I stay with FromJapan is the loyalty program.

Not in the U.S.

I assumed that they double charged me, but I guess you could be right. So, for example I want to bid on an auction and I deposit $200. My winning bid is $100. So I have $100 left over sitting in my account. By the time the item is delivered to fromjapan, and I fill out the shipping instructions, they pack the thing and send me the charge form, my $100 has been refunded back to my credit card. This is really annoying, because I have paid a conversion fee to go from USD to JPY, and now it refunded back to USD, and I have to deposit AGAIN to JPY to pay for the shipping. In addition, they charge a 5% fee on credit card deposits. But are you saying that they don't charge that fee if the money is automatically refunded? So the orignal $200 deposit did not have the 5% fee taken out? They only take the fee for the amount used for the bid?

It's all really confusing, and I just always feel like I have to be on guard with them. Like how the packing choice defaults to "light packing". Well, that's the default and who wouldn't want that? Of course there's a fee for "light packing" and if you want plain ole "regular packing" you have to change the selection. Last time I ended up paying for light packing just because I didn't notice. Of course, there was no packing to remove since it was just one item so they basically charged a fee for nothing, which is the same thing they did with the tags. That really incensed me how they replied to that whole situation. They completely dropped the ball and acted like I didn't really deserve a refund at first and made me take photos of the stuff. Anyway...
post #4484 of 13759
The fee isn't charged when you deposit the money, just when you pay for it in Charge 1 & 2 (which means that you only pay 5% on the total amount used for the bid). Whenever it's released to you, the currency exchange fee from the CC should be refunded as well, at least I'm pretty sure that's how it works for me, though your CC company/bank may do it differently due to the yen conversion. I'm sure there's a reason why they release CC deposits quicker than Paypal or whatever, but not sure.

As for the "light packaging one", I've never had to switch it from that to the regular packing. I just did my shipping instructions this morning and didn't have to switch, so that's strange that it's the default for you.

Either way, you should try out Zen Market if you're unhappy with From Japan. For me I've been pretty happy with it in the US, but the fees seem to be getting a bit high so I will probably be switching permanently now. At this point the loyalty program isn't worth it if Zen is as cheap as the number suggest currently.
post #4485 of 13759

truly a rft: I've been seeing pictures of a1923 oxfords pop up on social media, and just thinking man I should just buy a pair of Carmina wholecuts and wear them in good health

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)