or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) - Page 787

post #11791 of 13758
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

I dunno, man.  I am not as old as Raf, probably, but I remember a fair bit of elitism, and definitely the type of elitism associated with money and privilege, in the LA and NYC scenes.  I mean, the throwing of exclusive and ostentatious parties that were typically closed off except to "VIPs" and friends, were pretty common in the late 90s and early 2000s.

More of a continuum from the post-couture era to now I'd say., def some elitism but not always of the rich and famous kind. LA doesn't count, it has always been that way I guess...

Also Raf was in Antwerp and Paris, different scene. Paris in the 80s was all dog shit and graffiti.
post #11792 of 13758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

TBH I never made the correlation between people who get "eyes" on instagram and consumer buying said bullshit product . I thus believe "influencer" based marketing strategies are basically wishful thinking from pr people who'd rather party with hot, well known baskets of deplorables at some branded event than do actual analysis and boring marketing stuff and actually help sales. I hope it lasts a while as I'd think exactly the same if I was in their wretched corporate buffoon of magazine liaison position.

There's probably a bubble on influencer marketing, but the idea of buying something based off a cool photo from a person you like isn't that crazy. I mean, that's what a lot of this site is built off of. How many people have bought something because they saw someone here they like wearing it?

Again, the biggest sea change right now has been pushed by Kanye West. It's hard to argue against the idea of influencers when there's a whole forum now dedicated to dressing like Kanye, as well as a lot of brands that have picked up on trends he popularized.
post #11793 of 13758
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

There's probably a bubble on influencer marketing, but the idea of buying something based off a cool photo from a person you respect isn't that crazy. I mean, that's what a lot of this site is built off of. How many people have bought something because they saw someone here they like wearing it?

Again, the biggest sea change right now has been pushed by Kanye West. It's hard to argue against the idea of influencers when there's a whole forum now dedicated to dressing like Kanye, as well as a lot of brands that have picked up on trends he started.

What did he do exactly? Maybe some uber-celebrity can influence some people (is it worth the cost?) but when someone looks at the 200,000 follower hot girl on the internet they might just like her tight sportswear shots or think she's a bitch. Most people don't spend much time pondering each image in a sea of images. The idea that signs have surpassed commentary is quite naive, the sea of signs merely helped commentaries get more relevant, in politics just like in fashion. There's a very good Rancière interview (is it a text?) about that I'll try to dig up.
post #11794 of 13758
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

More of a continuum from the post-couture era to now I'd say., def some elitism but not always of the rich and famous kind. LA doesn't count, it has always been that way I guess...

Also Raf was in Antwerp and Paris, different scene. Paris in the 80s was all dog shit and graffiti.

I was thinking about NYC as well, and that was definitely very elitist.  I think that if anything, fashion was more elitist in the "money and influence" way, with so much of the fashion coming out of the big houses, as opposed to now, when we have a much more fragmented scene.

post #11795 of 13758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

What did he do exactly? Maybe some uber-celebrity can influence some people (is it worth the cost?) but when someone looks at the 200,000 follower hot girl on the internet they might just like her tight sportswear shots or think she's a bitch. Most people don't spend much time pondering each image in a sea of images. The idea that signs have surpassed commentary is quite naive, the sea of signs merely helped commentaries get more relevant, in politics just like in fashion. There's a very good Rancière interview (is it a text?) about that I'll try to dig up.

I mean, he's helped revitalized Adidas, which was basically relegated to nothing five years ago or whatever. The reintroduction of Stan Smith was also a big help, but I'd argue Kanye's involvement/ endorsement was also really important. He's also helped popularize looser fits to a mainstream audience, MA-1 bombers, ripped jeans, sand suede CP Chelseas, and all sorts of trends. I think the whole Kanye cos play thing is super corny, but it's hard to deny his influence. When I walk around San Francisco, all the fashion conscious guys are usually dressed like SLP drones, Hypebeasts, or Kanye West.

I think people have different levels of engagement with the people they follow. Maybe you pass over some photo or a random Italian dude, but pay attention to someone you wish you dressed more like. Or maybe enough people you follow pick up on an item to convince you to buy it.

Again, I think some of these IG fees are getting ridiculous (like $250,000 for some accounts to post a photo), but the idea in general isn't that crazy. People have been buying things based on what "influencers" wear for over a hundred years. That's basically the Duke of Windsor, and every big name musician and actor in the post-war period. It now just has a name, an industry around it, and become digital.

Influencer marketing isn't just about IG either. It's about fashion media in general, which encompasses all sorts of stuff -- celebrities, magazines, blogs, IG, etc.
post #11796 of 13758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post


TBH I never made the correlation between people who get "eyes" on instagram and consumer buying said bullshit product . I thus believe "influencer" based marketing strategies are basically wishful thinking from pr people who'd rather party with hot, well known baskets of deplorables at some branded event than do actual analysis and boring marketing stuff and actually help sales. I hope it lasts a while as I'd think exactly the same if I was in their wretched corporate buffoon of magazine liaison position.

 

It works very well on and directly with women I noticed; restaurants, clothing and travel destinations especially.

post #11797 of 13758
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Influencer marketing isn't just about IG either. It's about fashion media in general, which encompasses all sorts of stuff -- celebrities, magazines, blogs, IG, etc.
this book is basically all about the concept of social hacking his way to success, probably exaggerating a ton but speaks to your point. it was hard to read for me because i liked the general concept but not necessarily his narration.
https://www.amazon.com/Trust-Me-Lying-Confessions-Manipulator/dp/1591846285
post #11798 of 13758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rais View Post

It works very well on and directly with women I noticed; restaurants, clothing and travel destinations especially.

I don't think I know anyone like that, either they wore it before or they don't care and wear 10 y/o Gap or whatever (not trying to act cool, I'm not sure I'd mind if they did, who cares if Kanye was an influence on your pants). I did go to Kardashian's favourite Parisian restaurant once but I'm not sure how she gets through the door with her backside, the place is really small and cramped...

Note that fashion is a very strange industry because professional writers basically don't have any special knowledge or skill that amateurs lack. This isn't really true elsewhere, I mean what kind of fucking idiot trusts yelp scores and reviews or even bothers reading them.

Sometimes when I'm in random city I'll look at condé nast traveller or vogue.fr or whatever, some funny advice that'll lead me to going to a place, maybe that works.

As for travel everyone knows you have to go to a Dammuso in Pantelleria right now.
post #11799 of 13758

It just seems like whenever a girl is begging me to take her somewhere out to eat, a club, or on a little holilday it is always because a "friend" said it was "amazing". Said friend usually turns out to be some local Instagram socialite with a few thousand followers, not a celebrity by any stretch. One girl I was going out with only searched her various blogs for info on where to try something, like I would use Google for. Maybe that's just a bad sample, but I do know it works on at least a handful of women very effectively.

 

And I guess it's not fair of me to say it is a woman thing either. I only have 400 followers on my Tumblr but get messaged a few times a week for links/info to buy various shit I'm wearing in my photos. That happens a bit here too via PM, but with much less frequency.

post #11800 of 13758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Note that fashion is a very strange industry because professional writers basically don't have any special knowledge or skill that amateurs lack. This isn't really true elsewhere, I mean what kind of fucking idiot trusts yelp scores and reviews or even bothers reading them.

 

Frank Bruni became arguably the most powerful food critic in America when his sole qualification IIRC was having lived in Italy, so …

 

Moncler apparently had a run on the specific jacket Drake was wearing in the Hotline Bling video (and James Turrell even got a boost!). Seems silly to argue that these things don't have an effect, even if your own acquaintances are all above it all or too cool for school.

post #11801 of 13758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rais View Post

And I guess it's not fair of me to say it is a woman thing either. I only have 400 followers on my Tumblr but get messaged a few times a week for links/info to buy various shit I'm wearing in my photos. That happens a bit here too via PM, but with much less frequency.

Sometimes people ask where I buy things I wear, so they can be sure to avoid those shops. Kind of an #uninfluencer.
post #11802 of 13758
Quote:
Originally Posted by oulipien View Post

Frank Bruni became arguably the most powerful food critic in America when his sole qualification IIRC was having lived in Italy, so …

Moncler apparently had a run on the specific jacket Drake was wearing in the Hotline Bling video (and James Turrell even got a boost!). Seems silly to argue that these things don't have an effect, even if your own acquaintances are all above it all or too cool for school.

I'm just too bored/old for pop culture at large so I see it in random increments. These things are transmitted though, my mom learned about reality tv a few yrs ago (like 4) but she never saw any before saying it was revolting(loliloll). Def doesn't make me cool in that way, however I know a bunch of fashion people who care and I'm not sure they're even that influenced by Instagram or celebrities or whatever, referencing Maria Carey in 2016 doesn't make you buy something. I fail to see any dependable correlation although there might be some out there phenomena (drake and a jacket or the girl from the killign and a sweater).
post #11803 of 13758
In my anecdotal experience, I saw a jacket (the RLPL I bought recently) on a blog that I follow and bought it because of the blog (Crompton's). I can confidently say that if I had not seen the blog post about that specific jacket, I would not have purchased it.
post #11804 of 13758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish View Post

In my anecdotal experience, I saw a jacket (the RLPL I bought recently) on a blog that I follow and bought it because of the blog (Crompton's). I can confidently say that if I had not seen the blog post about that specific jacket, I would not have purchased it.

With the millions of image posts elsewhere can we def say someone is having a real influence on your decisions? Like a source has something going on regarding your buying choices?
post #11805 of 13758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

With the millions of image posts elsewhere can we def say someone is having a real influence on your decisions? Like a source has something going on regarding your buying choices?
That's a fair question. There is validity to that claim: I was interested in purchasing a new leather jacket, and I saw Crompton's post about the RLPL. It fit what I wanted to get, so I tracked one down and got it. I just say "confidently" because (a) I hadn't seen that jacket before, and (b) objectively it fit what I wanted and subjectively I thought I hadn't seen a suede bomber as attractive as that one, so I purchased one after his post. So I guess I can't say that his post was 100% of the reason why I bought a jacket, but it had a major contribution toward my purchasing that specific jacket (and the time frame from when I saw it to when I purchased it).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)