Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- topicFashiontagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 0 10 Blazertagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 10 Long sleeve shirttagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 14 Long sleeve shirttagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela 14 Suittagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - 19CM STRETCH VISCOSE WOOL BLEND TROUSERStagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - BRASS SPOON NECKLACEtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - CLASSIC WOOL MARTINI JACKETtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMaison Martin Margiela - DOUBLE COLLAR TROPICAL WOOL JACKETtagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15More
- itemMargiela 11 double ring belt SS12tagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- itemMargiela Sandalstagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
- topicMensweartagged by LA Guy, 5/18/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:05 am in Classic Menswear
- Random fashion thoughts Last post on 5/17/15 at 12:13pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Finding affordable menswear? (chicago) Last post on 3/20/16 at 8:21am in Classic Menswear
- Menswear Shop Refusing to Tailor "Outside" Clothing | Experiences or Advice? Last post on 1/11/16 at 8:49am in Classic Menswear
- Modern Raw Denim Jacket Last post on 2/2/16 at 11:22am in Streetwear and Denim
How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?
Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- What are denim "slub"? What is selvedge? Common denim...Last edited: 3/23/16
- I accidentally spilled a drop of fish oil onto a pair of boots....Last edited: 1/29/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) - Page 779post #11671 of 152049/13/16 at 3:03ampost #11672 of 152049/13/16 at 12:02pmIt should be super easy to replace the lining of your jacket, and honestly if you went to the right tailor for it you could probably get a better/more breathable lining put in.
I say if the store has a return policy, you have nothing to lose trying the jacket. Might be exactly the right weight and be significantly lighter than the suede 5 zip. The suede RLPL bomber that I posted about a week or so ago was what I got to wear for midwest spring and fall, and it's the perfect weight to wear between mid to low 70s and the low 50s, even unlined and in a thin skin. It would be perfect for a Caribbean winter:
Jacket pictures (Click to show)
If only it wasn't 88 degrees in a balmy sun right nowpost #11673 of 152049/13/16 at 12:31pmpost #11674 of 152049/13/16 at 12:32pmpost #11675 of 152049/13/16 at 12:38pmpost #11676 of 152049/13/16 at 12:54pm
It wouldn't be the first time J Crew has been accused of ripping off ideas.
Although it would be hard to prove that here (especially since J Crew has done paint-splattered/ patchwork stuff before RW was even around), the fact that they recently collaborated with RW makes this super sketchy. Hartley is right to be pissed.post #11677 of 152049/13/16 at 12:56pmpost #11678 of 152049/13/16 at 1:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by Synthese
Damn, am I following this right?
Jcrew menswear lead Frank Muytjens uses RW pants in a styling shoot (with RW blessing), then goes on to release a series of patchwork garments eerily similar to RW? Single pair of patched jeans is one thing, a whole collection is another.
The other way to look at this is: Frank plucked an idea that has been hot for the last couple of years, didn't have something readily available from J. Crew for a shoot yet, and contacted someone who does (so he could do the shoot). Rare Weaves does some of the best ones, so they seem like they'd be a natural choice. Whether he was going to get something for that shoot, or choose RW or not, was independent from whether he would come out with patchwork jeans.
Boro, and shabby chic as a broader concept, seems like a really old theme in fashion. RRL did patchwork clothes back in the 90s. I assume other people before that. The idea of upcycling has become popular again, so it just seems natural that it would eventually trickle into a high street store. J Crew is often one of the first adopters in that sort of tier.
I don't know, claiming that J. Crew stole this idea that's been around forever -- and is itself stolen from hippies and farmers -- seems like a stretch. But I also don't know the whole story.post #11679 of 152049/13/16 at 1:17pmpost #11680 of 152049/13/16 at 1:17pmpost #11681 of 152049/13/16 at 1:21pmpost #11682 of 152049/13/16 at 1:28pm
Right, of course it is. And indigo + patchwork is very "in" right now, and as you say, has been around for....hundreds of years? Anyway, I'm just following what he's putting on insta, which includes plenty of stuff about how no, he's not the first, just that in this case he was tapped for "styling" which resulted in a collection that is a piece-by-piece (apparently) remake of his work. That last part is the only bit that sounds kinda scummy, but who knows?post #11683 of 152049/13/16 at 1:28pmYeah, it's how fashion works anyway. Not sure if the RW/JC example is even all that egregious, as these things go. Proenza Schouler's runway show at NYFW used earrings that totally rip off a friend of mine's designs, I've seen other friends calling that out on Instagram too and I think that example is way worse.post #11684 of 152049/13/16 at 1:32pm
I dunno, the prevalence of plagiarized design doesn't seem like a reason to just roll with it. I don't think that's what you're saying, though. But no, if anything Rareweaves is pretty late to teh whole boro thing, no? Sounds like his personal involvement + no compensation or acknowledgement is the issue here.post #11685 of 152049/13/16 at 1:33pm
It seems only that the recency of their interaction has got RW feeling burned. Also, its not like this is going to hurt his (RW) business anyways. People who love RW likely loathe J. Crew for the same reasons. People who love J. Crew likely have never heard of RW anyways.
Someone who's prepared to spend north of $1K for a RW piece isn't going to be swayed last minute by J. Crews' accessible price point.
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 32 seconds ago
- › Sartorial Leather Jackets by Craftsman Clothing - Official... 1 minute ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 7 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 8 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 9 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 16 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 23 minutes ago
- › Can you help verify if this cashmere kiton sweater is authentic? 27 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 27 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...