Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) - Page 773

post #11581 of 17200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan7 View Post

I'd say there's a difference between expressing yourself through having a great record collection and actually writing music (even if its a really trite song). Creative writing, music, art - even if they rely on conventional forms (language, materials, etc.) is to me different from buying, collecting and arranging a bunch of items designed and made by other people.

That's a good point. Although, of all the things you can buy as a consumer, clothes seem like they're the most personal.

Critiquing clothes, for example, is not at all like critiquing someone's music collection. You can say someone has bad taste in music, but while that's somewhat of a personal attack, it doesn't carry the same weight as saying they have ugly clothes. Even for mainstream, middle-of-the-road brands such as J. Crew, whose customers go there deliberately so they look like everyone else -- those customers think of their clothes as extensions of their personal self. Saying J. Crew is ugly to someone wearing J. Crew is not at all like saying you hate Kanye West to someone playing Kanye West.

I also don't think the standard for self expression should be doing something totally new. Maybe the music thing was a bad analogy, but since clothes are fundamentally social -- ways we communicate our identity -- they have to fall in line somehow with a language that people can understand. Meaning, for self expression to happen in the first place, there's a strong tendency to use stylistic cues and symbols that are common (leather jacket = rugged; tailored clothing = fancy; sneakers = sporty). The idea that something has to be both totally new and self expressive is almost at odds with each other. It would be like trying to communicate something about yourself using a made-up language.
post #11582 of 17200
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


Critiquing clothes, for example, is not at all like critiquing someone's music collection. You can say someone has bad taste in music, but while that's somewhat of a personal attack, it doesn't carry the same weight as saying they have ugly clothes. Even for mainstream, middle-of-the-road brands such as J. Crew, whose customers go there deliberately so they look like everyone else -- those customers think of their clothes as extensions of their personal self. Saying J. Crew is ugly to someone wearing J. Crew is not at all like saying you hate Kanye West to someone playing Kanye West.

I don't know if I agree with this statement, although I'm not sure how to articulate why.

It does raise the question that the two are often intrinsically linked. I can look at someone in a club and tell that they're there for the drum and bass dj, and look at someone else to see that they're there for the breakcore dj. The way they dress is as much a part of the culture they live in as the music they listen to.
post #11583 of 17200

When selling "buy it now" listings, is it unethical to tell potential buyers any information about the offers you've received? Including the number of, amount.

post #11584 of 17200
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordion View Post

When selling "buy it now" listings, is it unethical to tell potential buyers any information about the offers you've received? Including the number of, amount.

I don't see what would be unethical about it.
post #11585 of 17200

I liked @Synthese's preview of blue blue japan (http://journal.styleforum.net/blue-blue-japan-fw-2016/) but I felt like I had no idea that the article/sf journal existed if I didn't get lucky having twitter open on the train earlier. Is the journal replacing the sf brief?

 

also are we sure that sunjin isn't actually ye ji won?

 

post #11586 of 17200
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoron View Post
 

I liked @Synthese's preview of blue blue japan (http://journal.styleforum.net/blue-blue-japan-fw-2016/) but I felt like I had no idea that the article/sf journal existed if I didn't get lucky having twitter open on the train earlier. Is the journal replacing the sf brief?

 

also are we sure that sunjin isn't actually ye ji won?

 

Hey dude - first of all, thanks. Second, we'll make a wider announcement and do the front page stuff later in the week - rolling it all out in stages so we don't immediately reveal how incompetent we all are. But yeah, this'll be a better system than the Brief was. Much more straightforward, much more robust hosting than the forum software.

post #11587 of 17200

+1, really enjoyed the look at Blue Blue Japan @Synthese. That knit blazer looks perfect for colder months. Looking forward to reading more in the Journal, cool idea.

post #11588 of 17200
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahneun View Post

I don't see what would be unethical about it.

To get them to bid against each other with fake offers, though I guess if I can show proof of the offers it'd be okay.
post #11589 of 17200
@LA Guy Who's doing the city maps? The London one has a closed shop (Start) and is missing some of the regularly recommended SW&D ones.

How about adding a food part?
post #11590 of 17200
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

@LA Guy Who's doing the city maps? The London one has a closed shop (Start) and is missing some of the regularly recommended SW&D ones.

How about adding a food part?

A variety of people, but yeah, there are some corrections and additions to make.

Re food - we don't really have the manpower for that, and those can be found elsewhere, but it's on our wish list, albeit lower on it then other cities.
post #11591 of 17200
I can see it updated it self, when I looked at it again.

How about using the dubiously honored system and having some of the posters, whom you know likes food do that part. Cheesesteak would seem like an obvious choice for New York.

It seems like food is an important part, when people ask about cities in this thread. So it seems somewhat relevant.
post #11592 of 17200
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

I can see it updated it self, when I looked at it again.

How about using the dubiously honored system and having some of the posters, whom you know likes food do that part. Cheesesteak would seem like an obvious choice for New York.

It seems like food is an important part, when people ask about cities in this thread. So it seems somewhat relevant.

I agree that it's important. We just don't have the right expertise. I love food, but by knowledge base is about clothing and shopping, could example. But yeah, recruitng from the community is a great idea. Thanks.
post #11593 of 17200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggskip View Post

Nigel Cabourn is my favorite follow on IG. In every photo in which he appears he looks like he's having the time of his life (the majority of which, is seems anyway, is spent with very attractive women).

Dan Bilzerian
post #11594 of 17200
Man I fell for the hype and preordered the jet black iPhone. Hopefully there is no "blank gate" with this model
post #11595 of 17200
Forgot how much people like rare Aldens, listed a few pairs I kept for sole reason that they were rare. Feels really good selling them as I hadn't worn them in years. As @nicelynice says always cool stuff around the corner.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)