or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) - Page 712

post #10666 of 15171
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Random non-fashion complaint: I hate it when people use words such as "science" and "physics" to describe things that aren't at all scientific (e.g. "respect the laws of retail physics").

I do use the phrase "The problem with the fashion tech industry is that, as a whole, it's based on defying the laws of physics".  What I mean by that is that exponential growth of an industry that is constrained by say, how much clothing people can comfortably wear and/or store.  

 

Haven't read that article yet, so I'm not sure if they bring up that point, but I mean, at some point, your ability to sell me tee shirts reaches a point of greatly diminshing returns, unless you can somehow convince me that they are completely disposable, and that at the end of a workout, I just tear the thing off and toss it, and go through the day doing that at greater and greater frequency.  And that runs counter to nearly all of the copy that is written about men's clothing.

post #10667 of 15171
/ wrong thread
post #10668 of 15171
Thread Starter 

Just read the article.  I should have done that before commenting.  I agree with about 90% of what is said in there.

 

tldr: retail margins and tech company expectations cannot possibly be compatible. 

post #10669 of 15171


Does anyone still care?

post #10670 of 15171
Hmmnn. I wonder what the new BoO will be about since the founder/designer left with the flameout. The brand had been losing significant steam towards the end. I thought they had a solid offering in their chinos and basic button downs. But the market evolved and became very much crowded.
Edited by bry2000 - 7/5/16 at 6:42pm
post #10671 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Just read the article.  I should have done that before commenting.  I agree with about 90% of what is said in there.

tldr: retail margins and tech company expectations cannot possibly be compatible. 

Hence why we need a good recession to realign everybody's expectations.
post #10672 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry2000 View Post

Hmmnn. I wonder what the new BoO will be about since the founder/designer left with the flameout. The brand had been losing significant steam towards the end. I thought they had a solid offering in their chinos and basic button downs. But the market evolved and became very much crowded.

Hopefully a well-fitting oxford shirt that is NOT $400. The brand was rather inveterate and some presentations were just silly -not Thom Browne good silly- which prevented it from forging a strong aesthetic like SLP or Ricky O. Lots of their pieces were just worn as separates. The name didn't do much to push the brand into the mainstream. 

 

What really held the brand back was that Kanye didn't rap about it. 

post #10673 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Burgess View Post

It's likely that they were wearing a Korean brand called 'Pleatsme', which is more readily available and significantly cheaper than Issey http://www.pleatsme.co.kr/.

Damn, could be... Still, the way the clothes curved around made me think there was no way it couldn't have been. I want to believe!!
post #10674 of 15171

New challenge is up, check it out

post #10675 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicelynice View Post


styleforum•




#styleforum #menswear #mensstyle #mensfashion #menwithstyle #sprezzatura #menwithclass #dappermen #mensweardaily #sartorial #dapperstyle #mensclothing #gentlemen #mnswr #classicmenswear #bespoke #fashionformen #peaklapel


lol

Just to follow this up, a lot of the stuff posted on the SF instagram is reposts from other user accounts that tag things with #styleforum. So, if you guys are posting rad stuff on instagram, you could...tag it with #styleforum so that the self-aware entity that runs our social media accounts notices it.

post #10676 of 15171
I feel like a grumpy grump saying this, but this is so dumb:

Juicy Couture Makes it to Actual Couture Week Thanks to Vetements

At this point, so much of high fashion just feels like it's forcefully referencing low brow stuff in circa-2000-hipster way. Just feels like it has all the annoying elements of what made hipsters obnoxious fifteen years ago -- a sense of smugness, dishonesty, fake populism, and stupid approach to culture by saying "we're counter-culture and rebelling against XYZ by liking this ugly/ dumb thing that's not-XYZ"
post #10677 of 15171
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I feel like a grumpy grump saying this, but this is so dumb:

Juicy Couture Makes it to Actual Couture Week Thanks to Vetements

At this point, so much of high fashion just feels like it's forcefully referencing low brow stuff in circa-2000-hipster way. Just feels like it has all the annoying elements of what made hipsters obnoxious fifteen years ago -- a sense of smugness, dishonesty, fake populism, and stupid approach to culture by saying "we're counter-culture and rebelling against XYZ by liking this ugly/ dumb thing that's not-XYZ"

Make that too old grumps.  It's the smugness that really turns me off.  I have told this story 100 times now, but one of the things that first really got me to like Moscow ID was this girl, "Gabi", who worked at the local coffee shop, who was "cool" in the way a hipster in 2007 was cool, but she wore Ed Hardy tees, a lot, completely unironically.

 

Where Vetements fails, and Margiela (once upon a time) succeeded, is in the attitude of the designer.  Outwardly, they do similar things.  However, Margiela seems to have a enthusiastic nerdiness about his obsession with vintage clothing, while Vetements seems to always be trying to show you how cool Vetements is.

post #10678 of 15171
I've seen a DHL shirt once in real life, at a designer store on a middle aged Asian guy. I legitimately thought he was just a DHL delivery guy until he went to the register and spent $6000 on leather goods. Vetements is something I definitely "Don't get".
post #10679 of 15171
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

I've seen a DHL shirt once in real life, at a designer store on a middle aged Asian guy. I legitimately thought he was just a DHL delivery guy until he went to the register and spent $6000 on leather goods. Vetements is something I definitely "Don't get".

It's the $650 version of 90s hipster-ism, when we used to wear thrifted UPS uniform shirts over long sleeve tees. 

post #10680 of 15171
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

I've seen a DHL shirt once in real life, at a designer store on a middle aged Asian guy. I legitimately thought he was just a DHL delivery guy until he went to the register and spent $6000 on leather goods. Vetements is something I definitely "Don't get".

I'm all for jokes, and that tee was basically a fashion meme, but the whole line just feels annoying in the same way SLP is annoying. Maybe not that bad, because SLP is basically Hot Topic, but the stuff that makes it into stores is just as stupid.

This is despite what I thought was a kind of cool first runway collection.

The Balenciaga men's tailoring stuff looks really ugly too. Maybe a more interesting look will come out of it once people actually start wearing it, but as is, I don't get it at all.

At least you can't devolve the tailored collection to a meme'd t-shirt though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)