or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) - Page 692

post #10366 of 13805
Interesting... I would think that the top designers are very well paid though.. And say those in marketing or PR.. Management positions etc.

All my own imagination obv...
post #10367 of 13805
Quote:
Originally Posted by penanceroyaltea View Post

Interesting... I would think that the top designers are very well paid though.. And say those in marketing or PR.. Management positions etc.

All my own imagination obv...

Yeah, sure, people like Karl are making a lot of money... And I'm sure Raf made a lot at Dior, but still not enough for him to deal with the bullshit.

But do you think people like Robert Geller and Stephan Schneider are making a lot? I think they can live relatively comfortably doing what they love, but one bad season and they are fucked, so most of the money needs to be kept in the company as a safety net and not into their personal bank accounts.
post #10368 of 13805
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerMatt View Post

@conceptual 4est


If you play guitar head to Denmark Street. Definitely.

Clare de Rouen books (on Tottenham Court Road but not where the works are) is an excellent art/fashion book store and has loads of good stuff. Foyles is also lovely, but I imagine NYC has big fuck off book stores too.

V and A is pretty good, and the Barbican has a great exhibition on as well. London also has great parks - Hyde, Richard, Hampsted Heath, worth a visit and a relax.

Food wise there's a killer Vietnamese place near King's Cross. Like damn fucking great - Sen Viet. The Ban Cuon (probably spelled that incorrectly) is especially good, as are the egg pancakes (g trans help me out, bro).

If you're in town on the weekend I might be around (have to go in to vote), let me know.

Denmark Street is a total shitshow right now though.
post #10369 of 13805
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptual 4est View Post

Quick: London recommendations! Been here for a few days so far but finding myself with more time than needed for what I originally planned. Tomorrow is Tate Modern and then nothing for the rest of the day, and nothing planned for Thursday either. Fielding any recommendations for food (yes!) snacks (sure!) museums (hell yeah!) shopping (eh) drinks (why not) and anything else I should see. No tourist spots please - not that I don't like them, I think I've just seen them all already. I'm American and from New York so please don't recommend me a burger or anything like that.

The Wallace Collection is one of my favourite smaller museums. Not usually very busy. Nice paintings plus a bunch of historic weapons and armour. Marylebone High Street which is behind it is decent for shops and cafes (there's Trunk Clothiers near there too for example).
Edited by Lorcan7 - 6/22/16 at 2:19am
post #10370 of 13805
Quote:
Originally Posted by penanceroyaltea View Post

Interesting... I would think that the top designers are very well paid though.. And say those in marketing or PR.. Management positions etc.

All my own imagination obv...

They pay shit, too much competition for those jobs for them to need to pay much.
post #10371 of 13805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan7 View Post

The Wallace Collection is one of my favourite smaller museums. Not usually very busy. Nice paintings plus a bunch of historic weapons and armour. Marylebone High Street which is behind it is decent for shops and cafes (there's Trunk Clothiers near there too for example).



Do you work for Geoffrey?

Wallace Collection is great. Right next to Selfridges too if you want to catch their sale.
post #10372 of 13805
If you go to Pizza Pilgrims you could stroll into Other-Shop which is on the same street and claim your 10% SF discount
post #10373 of 13805
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennree View Post

If you go to Pizza Pilgrims you could stroll into Other-Shop which is on the same street and claim your 10% SF discount

Yup, and it's pretty close to South Molton Street which has some cool shops.
post #10374 of 13805
Yeah South Molton has several nice shops, albeit at least a few of them probably not in c4est's wheelhouse.
post #10375 of 13805
@ClambakeSkate cheers, thanks for the insightful posts!! Would love to see an "industry" thread and get an eye into the reality of things. Sometimes I look out the window and wish I was in a tiny Italian village smile.gif
post #10376 of 13805
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicelynice View Post

@ClambakeSkate cheers, thanks for the insightful posts!! Would love to see an "industry" thread and get an eye into the reality of things. Sometimes I look out the window and wish I was in a tiny Italian village smile.gif

I think a "industry" thread could be interesting to some, but i think it may be a bit too depressing for most. Like revealing that the wizard of oz was some old, drunk, fat guy with a terrible haircut.

If you ever want to trade apartments for a week, let me know. wink.gif
post #10377 of 13805

When you guys say "shit pay," how much are we talking about exactly? Enough to live in the city on? What's the upward mobility?

post #10378 of 13805
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamacyborg View Post


Denmark Street is a total shitshow right now though.

 

I'll take your word for it - I haven't been in a few months. Is it really that bad just to walk down and enter a shop?

post #10379 of 13805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClambakeSkate View Post


I think a "industry" thread could be interesting to some, but i think it may be a bit too depressing for most. Like revealing that the wizard of oz was some old, drunk, fat guy with a terrible haircut.

 

 

I've always thought an industry thread would be a fascinating topic.  There are countless discussions here where people start to veer into business talk but it always fizzles out just as the discussion gets interesting.

 

There are a lot of posters here who have worked in, or are currently working in, the biz.  Plus, a not insignificant amount of posters have years worth of more generalized business experience.  Seems like it'd be a solid critical mass for some good conversation.

post #10380 of 13805
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordion View Post
 

When you guys say "shit pay," how much are we talking about exactly? Enough to live in the city on? What's the upward mobility?

Entry-level in NYC is around 30-40K for design/tech/production/product development ("cooler" companies are on the lower end of this spectrum, mass market is on the higher end). Unless you know someone, you're usually expected to have interned for a while (like...at least a year) before you're even considered for these types of positions.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)