or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wedding Suit (with poll)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wedding Suit (with poll)

Poll Results: Where should I buy my wedding suit?

 
  • 16% (1)
    Paul Stuart
  • 0% (0)
    Suitsupply MTM
  • 16% (1)
    Enzo Custom
  • 33% (2)
    Kent Wang MTM
  • 0% (0)
    Brooks Brothers
  • 0% (0)
    Canali
  • 33% (2)
    Other/None of the Above (please comment with suggestion)
6 Total Votes  
post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Long time lurker, first-time poster. I'm getting married at the end of the year and have started thinking about what I'm going to wear for the wedding. I'm going to be wearing a suit, not a tux, and my bride-to-be has declared that she would like my suit to be grey. So I'm planning to get myself a very nice, medium grey three-piece suit, with a budget of ~$1500. Over the years I've owned suits ranging from Jos. A Bank to Brooks Brothers to Canali, but it's been about 4 years since I've bought a suit, so I'm a bit rusty.

 

I've done exhaustive research here and elsewhere, so I know this is a subject that has been beaten into the ground. If you're going to point me to another thread, I've probably read it. I just wanted to start this one to lay out my options in terms of what I'm thinking and see what ideas people have and if any recent experience with any of my choices, since a lot of the info I find is in threads from 4-7 years ago, and things can change.

 

As I live in Washington, DC, I've come up with the following list of options. Please feel free to suggest others/tell me mine are dumb.

 

Suitsupply MTM

Enzo Custom

Kent Wang MTM (not local, but he gets such great reviews it's the only online choice I'm considering)

Paul Stuart (opening soon near where I live, should be in plenty of time to find something for the wedding)

Canali (recently opened near me, my last Canali was from Nordstrom if memory serves, but it's been a long time)

Brooks Brothers

 

Suggestions/comments/constructive criticism/snide remarks? Pros/cons of any of the above? People telling me this topic has been covered so many times I'm a moron for starting a new thread about it? I welcome any or all. Thanks very much!

post #2 of 15
Thread Starter 

I guess the option I didn't include above was "no one reply at all." I suppose I should have seen that coming. Still, figured I'd give it one more shot to see if anyone has any thoughts.

post #3 of 15
Go try them on and see which one you like best.
post #4 of 15
Have you gone into any of the brick and mortar stores near to where you lived and looked/tried anything on?
post #5 of 15
I would lean towards Paul Stuart, but the decision has to be made based upon what they offer and the fit when you try it on. Maybe visit PS, then head to Brooks and Canali and try their offerings on the same day to get a feel for which fabric and cut you prefer. Things have changed in the last 4 years.
post #6 of 15
And this may seem like a basic piece of advice...but wear a proper shirt when going into the stores to try on some suits.
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

Have you gone into any of the brick and mortar stores near to where you lived and looked/tried anything on?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusW View Post

I would lean towards Paul Stuart, but the decision has to be made based upon what they offer and the fit when you try it on. Maybe visit PS, then head to Brooks and Canali and try their offerings on the same day to get a feel for which fabric and cut you prefer. Things have changed in the last 4 years.

 

Thanks guys. I haven't been to any of the stores yet. I'm waiting for the Paul Stuart to open so, as Gus suggested, I can check everything out on the same day so my memory of each is fresh as I try on the suits and compare fabrics. And I'll be sure to wear a proper shirt when I do. Because it's been so long since I bought my last suit I'm trying to be as careful as possible with all of this since I feel like I'm new to the whole process again.

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockred819 View Post



Thanks guys. I haven't been to any of the stores yet. I'm waiting for the Paul Stuart to open so, as Gus suggested, I can check everything out on the same day so my memory of each is fresh as I try on the suits and compare fabrics. And I'll be sure to wear a proper shirt when I do. Because it's been so long since I bought my last suit I'm trying to be as careful as possible with all of this since I feel like I'm new to the whole process again.

Why wait until the PS store opens?
Go to the existing stores on any given Saturday and browse. Try some things on.
Stores have delayed openings. They get pushed back. No need to wait IMO.
post #9 of 15
For around $1500 you should be able to get a made in italy RL Blue Label suit.
post #10 of 15

I'm super partial to Enzo Custom Clothiers. It's hard to vote against a full-on custom suit that starts at less than $500. The only real vice is that you need around two months of time for the suit to be produced. And once it's finished, you are good to go; usually no alterations necessary. The last blazer + pants I had made was so flawless that I wore them fresh out of the studio and back to the office. Their customer service is also the best that I've ever experienced. There's no pressure to go for anything - no up-selling on the business. The job of a suit maker is to advise you on what to select when it comes to fabric + options. It's a very enjoyable experience and well worth the cost. Makes wearing a suit fun again!

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by justincase View Post

I just ordered my wedding suit at a tailor. I went their for two hours, they took all the measures and I'll receive my suit in two months or so. Next to the superior fit, the service behind it is very important to me. I'm confident that I'll have the best looking suit for the money invested.

Wait........you are going back for additional fittings...right?
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by justincase View Post

Ah, I forgot to mention that. 2 weeks before delivery we'll have additional fitting. Apparently their measuring are that precise that only 1-2 suits out of 100 need to go back for big chances, in most cases it is just some minor changes. At least, that's what she told me ;-)


nod[1].gif

Basically 1 fitting is suspect IMO.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by justincase View Post

Ah, I forgot to mention that. 2 weeks before delivery we'll have additional fitting. Apparently their measuring are that precise that only 1-2 suits out of 100 need to go back for big chances, in most cases it is just some minor changes. At least, that's what she told me ;-)

In that case I think we'd all be intrigued to know who 'she' is, because a success rate like that seems almost unbelievable.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

In that case I think we'd all be intrigued to know who 'she' is, because a success rate like that seems almost unbelievable.

+1
post #15 of 15
Would love to see the finished product.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wedding Suit (with poll)