or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why Hillary will be the next POTUS - Page 140

post #2086 of 3267
It's neat how you managed to frame that to make conservatives the moderates in the room.
post #2087 of 3267
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post
 

 

Define the difference.  What's the difference between conservative, libertarian, and classic liberal.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greger View Post

I don't really know

 

:fixed:


Edited by Rumpelstiltskin - 9/22/16 at 5:03pm
post #2088 of 3267
post #2089 of 3267
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greger View Post


Libertarians- how much government do they want? Not much. I would say not enough. Some of them want to make up their own rules of morality (with that they can shake hands with the liberals).

Who the hell else is going to determine morality?
post #2090 of 3267
Quote:
Originally Posted by greger View Post

Some of them want to make up their own rules of morality

 

Libertarians believe that government exists to protect the populace against the initiation of force or fraud.  You hit me, you go to jail.  You sign a contract and then don't live up to its terms, you are liable.  You smoke a plant I don't smoke, so what?

 

Jefferson's prose in the Declaration of Independence makes an elegant distinction - in so many words - between crimes (transgressions against one's fellow man) and sins (transgressions against the deity of your choice).  Governments exist to adjudicate the former; God/Yahweh/Allah/Clapton will judge the latter.

post #2091 of 3267
Well, decided to have some fun. But, there is a lot more regulation, thanks to the Democrats.

Nick, there are some Libertarians as you. Some are very different. Think you are misunderstanding the Declaration of Independence.

SirReveller, you actually watched that?

Thanks for the compliment, Gibonius.

Rumpelstiltskin, nice quote change. Even if it's baloney.

Piobaire, why so angry? Got a guilty conscious? Losing battle there. Not my problem.
post #2092 of 3267
Oh Piobra has a bigtime guilty conscience. Some months ago he hit an armadillo on the highway and just kept going.
post #2093 of 3267
Quote:
Originally Posted by greger View Post


Nick, there are some Libertarians as you. Some are very different. Think you are misunderstanding the Declaration of Independence.

 

"To secure these rights, governments are instituted among men."  Doesn't say anything about legislating morality.

 

Later, Jefferson said in his first inaugural address, "A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned.  This is the sum of good government."

 

Again, nothing about legislating morality.

post #2094 of 3267
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greger View Post


Piobaire, why so angry? Got a guilty conscious? Losing battle there. Not my problem.

I notice you didn't answer the question. Why so much fear in stating your position?

I'm not angry, but if stupidity made me so, you'd have me furious.
post #2095 of 3267
Legacy business....Obama dumps Hillary in it...she's on her own now...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-weighs-in-hillary-clinton-private-emails/
post #2096 of 3267
That article is from a year and a half ago.
post #2097 of 3267
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post

"To secure these rights, governments are instituted among men."  Doesn't say anything about legislating morality.

Later, Jefferson said in his first inaugural address, "A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned.  This is the sum of good government."

Again, nothing about legislating morality.
Well, defending, say, concepts of private property is effectively the legislation and regulation of certain moral judgments. "Not legislating morality" sounds great, but distinguishing between "legislating morality" and preventing, punishing, or rectifying "injury" isn't always clear-cut or something everyone views the same way.
post #2098 of 3267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

That article is from a year and a half ago.

Don't let facts get in the way of troof
post #2099 of 3267
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Don't let facts get in the way of troof

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/hillary-clinton-emails-fbi-228607
post #2100 of 3267
Oh cool. That totally proves your point
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS