or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why Hillary will be the next POTUS - Page 138

post #2056 of 3302
Thread Starter 
I miss him in general. A completely polite person.
post #2057 of 3302
Quote:
Originally Posted by greger View Post

You errantly think Reagan was a neoconservatism?

You errantly think that's what errantly means?
post #2058 of 3302
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

You errantly think that's what errantly means?

He errantly thinks.
post #2059 of 3302
Quote:
Originally Posted by greger View Post

You errantly think Reagan was a neoconservatism?

Reagan was as much of a neocon as George HW.
post #2060 of 3302

It has all been downhill since Silent Cal.  In fact, I can't think of two Republican candidates with such a different style than Trump and Coolidge.

post #2061 of 3302
Trump is T. Roosevelt of our times. Better get used to it. America needs another megalomaniac-asshole in the office . It worked last time because it is perfectly congruent with American gestalt.
post #2062 of 3302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

You've got former Republican Presidents telling everyone to vote for Hills. I really don't see her losing.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings

I said from the start to amusement of some people in this thread that Trump has a big chance of winning and it will be close election. Tbh I still think that because I've a lot of similarities with what once happened in my country; party running negative campaign appealing to disenfranchised and old people actually managed to overtake a heavy favourite. Ratings were pointing to their defeat, yet they won. Some people from big cities were in the closet about voting for them- and we can see already same thing with Trump. Also same with brexit not long ago. In fact my intuition tells me he will win- but even if he won't it won't be a landslide for Clinton unless he makes some really major mistake.
post #2063 of 3302

post #2064 of 3302
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post


It ain't over till the fat lady sings

I said from the start to amusement of some people in this thread that Trump has a big chance of winning and it will be close election. Tbh I still think that because I've a lot of similarities with what once happened in my country; party running negative campaign appealing to disenfranchised and old people actually managed to overtake a heavy favourite. Ratings were pointing to their defeat, yet they won. Same with brexit not long ago. In fact my intuition tells me he will win.

 

And I still think you're 100% wrong.  The electoral college will not be kind to Trump even if the popular vote is close.  The only chance Trump has is Johnson and Stein taking enough blue votes in purple states.  States like CO, NM, and VA.

If you take the 2012 map and added NV, WA, CO, NM, IA, VA, NH and WI, Trump would win.  That's the kind of swing it takes.  Another example would be OH, PA, and FL would be enough; however, I don't think that's going to happen either.

post #2065 of 3302
^ ye well I have to concede that point in this discussion it will be hard for trump to steal those swing states and a lot can happen till the election either in his favour or in favour of Hillary- so we will have to wait and see
post #2066 of 3302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Reagan was as much of a neocon as George HW.

Conservative with no neocon in front.
Are you confusing libertarian with conservative?
post #2067 of 3302
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post
 

 

And I still think you're 100% wrong.  The electoral college will not be kind to Trump even if the popular vote is close.  The only chance Trump has is Johnson and Stein taking enough blue votes in purple states.  States like CO, NM, and VA.

If you take the 2012 map and added NV, WA, CO, NM, IA, VA, NH and WI, Trump would win.  That's the kind of swing it takes.  Another example would be OH, PA, and FL would be enough; however, I don't think that's going to happen either.


latest polls suggest trump is rallying in ohio. 

 

as for swinging the 2012 map, is obama even campaigning for hrc? the biggest difference is going to be turnout, imo this is a war of attrition and there really is no reason to vote unless you're specifically voting against somebody. what does that map look like? who cares about 2012?

 

and we haven't even had a debate yet. 

post #2068 of 3302
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post




this is a war of attrition and there really is no reason to vote unless you're specifically voting against somebody.

Not even sure what this means. I mean, sure it sounds very cool and above it all, but every Presidential election is a choice between competing candidates.
A vote for one is a vote against the other (or others). Either you give a shit about the outcome or you don't. The rest is sophistry.

Do you care about who gets appointed to the Supreme Court?
Do you want a much more restrictive immigration policy?

Those are two issues lots of folks get all worked up about. They're both in play and neither has anything to do with "voting against somebody" (or, alternatively, they have everything to do with "voting against somebody" because that's true of every issue and thus isn't really a meaningful distinction).
post #2069 of 3302
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post
 


latest polls suggest trump is rallying in ohio. 

 

as for swinging the 2012 map, is obama even campaigning for hrc? the biggest difference is going to be turnout, imo this is a war of attrition and there really is no reason to vote unless you're specifically voting against somebody. what does that map look like? who cares about 2012?

 

and we haven't even had a debate yet. 

 

Obama has been campaigning for Hillary.  Trump could win Ohio - lots of blue-collar whites who don't like Hillary - but I doubt all three while holding onto all the red states.  I mean, at this point Texas and Utah are looking closer than they should.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greger View Post


Conservative with no neocon in front.
Are you confusing libertarian with conservative?


Define the difference.  What's the difference between conservative, libertarian, and classic liberal.

post #2070 of 3302
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post


Not even sure what this means. I mean, sure it sounds very cool and above it all, but every Presidential election is a choice between competing candidates.
A vote for one is a vote against the other (or others). Either you give a shit about the outcome or you don't. The rest is sophistry.

Do you care about who gets appointed to the Supreme Court?
Do you want a much more restrictive immigration policy?

Those are two issues lots of folks get all worked up about. They're both in play and neither has anything to do with "voting against somebody" (or, alternatively, they have everything to do with "voting against somebody" because that's true of every issue and thus isn't really a meaningful distinction).


what it means is pretty simple i think. let me try another way: the folks that i've talked to who will be voting for Clinton have made it perfectly clear that they're really voting against Trump. whether that is based on personality or issue or whatever the question is when the time comes will they bother? if Trump should somehow slay the debates will that energize his opposition or break them? 

 

whether it sounds cool or not the statement is more comprehensible when taken with the sentences around it (that's called a paragraph). there's a difference between a voter who will for instance cast a vote for Obama in 2012 versus a voter who will cast a vote against Trump in 2016. are they the same? call it sophistry, straw man, whatever. i'm not making a prediction anyways, i'm simply pointing out that for many the choice is distasteful at best. to my mind that will a profound impact on turnout. 

 

if voting was mandatory i'd agree with you that the distinction is meaningless. but it's not so i don't!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS