or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why Hillary will be the next POTUS - Page 92

post #1366 of 3334

Our military is 100% volunteer .If you don't want to fight and all that entails don't join .

post #1367 of 3334
Oh good, this won't be controversial.
post #1368 of 3334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbernine View Post
 

Our military is 100% volunteer .If you don't want to fight and all that entails don't join .

 

I agree.  We need to eliminate the draft though.  If the government wants to fight a war, it should pay soldiers a market rate commensurate with the risk.  They basically did with Iraq - tuition or student loan forgiveness plus huge signing bonuses. 

post #1369 of 3334
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I agree.  We need to eliminate the draft though.  If the government wants to fight a war, it should pay soldiers a market rate commensurate with the risk.  They basically did with Iraq - tuition or student loan forgiveness plus huge signing bonuses. 
But college is supposed to be free.
post #1370 of 3334
.
Edited by Medwed - 7/30/16 at 3:34pm
post #1371 of 3334
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbernine View Post

Our military is 100% volunteer .If you don't want to fight and all that entails don't join .

Do you remember all the interviews of outraged enlistees and parents saying people joined the army for career and education, and not to fight wars, in the early 00s? I do.
post #1372 of 3334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbernine View Post

Our military is 100% volunteer .If you don't want to fight and all that entails don't join .

Do you remember all the interviews of outraged enlistees and parents saying people joined the army for career and education, and not to fight wars, in the early 00s? I do.


:violin:

post #1373 of 3334
Thread Starter 
https://theintercept.com/2016/07/28/hillary-clinton-talks-tough-on-shadow-banking-but-blackstone-is-celebrating-at-the-dnc/

As Clinton talks tough against private equity the biggest of the big tosses swanky party at the DNC convention. Notice his business connections with the Clintons too.
post #1374 of 3334
Having spent some time in Texas, it's sort of amusing to see social media folks railing about how Texas has become too damn liberal after the Houston Chronicle endorsed Clinton.
Could just be because the like being HC twinsies, though.
In this context, I'm assuming that when the Chronicle describes Trump as "a dangerous threat to the republic" they mean Murica and not the PRT.
post #1375 of 3334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

https://theintercept.com/2016/07/28/hillary-clinton-talks-tough-on-shadow-banking-but-blackstone-is-celebrating-at-the-dnc/

As Clinton talks tough against private equity the biggest of the big tosses swanky party at the DNC convention. Notice his business connections with the Clintons too.

The closest thing to anything worthy of note is James' potential desire to be appointed somewhere in the Dem party, something he mentioned prior to Clinton even announcing her candidacy. She declared her intention to have Citizens United overturned (something I doubt will come to fruition but let's stick to rhetoric) which would really limit the contributions of Blackstone et al. I don't think celebratory parties or even receiving contributions is illegal. Everything has to be done within the framework of the law, and in fact it can be seen as engaging those she supposedly will seek to reform (just as a state would engage an enemy nation in negotiations like, say, the Iran nuclear deal). Barney Frank has also been invited to speak at financial institutions and well compensated for doing so but his stance is not likely pro-Wall St, as it were. So while I see your point about rhetorical inconsistencies, I don't think there's much to be made of this.
post #1376 of 3334
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

The closest thing to anything worthy of note is James' potential desire to be appointed somewhere in the Dem party, something he mentioned prior to Clinton even announcing her candidacy. She declared her intention to have Citizens United overturned (something I doubt will come to fruition but let's stick to rhetoric) which would really limit the contributions of Blackstone et al. I don't think celebratory parties or even receiving contributions is illegal. Everything has to be done within the framework of the law, and in fact it can be seen as engaging those she supposedly will seek to reform (just as a state would engage an enemy nation in negotiations like, say, the Iran nuclear deal). Barney Frank has also been invited to speak at financial institutions and well compensated for doing so but his stance is not likely pro-Wall St, as it were. So while I see your point about rhetorical inconsistencies, I don't think there's much to be made of this.

Nice straw man there.

Take money from people, people expect a return on investment. It's really that simple and always has been. SEIU gave Obama hundreds of millions and Andy Stern had a free pass into the White House there for a while. Now the NLRB is packed.
post #1377 of 3334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Now the NLRB is packed.
Maybe they were just happy to see him.
post #1378 of 3334
That's not a strawman, it's a nod to the legality of what she did. Bringing up a shady relationship might imply otherwise. So now that the investment is made, what do you anticipate the return to be?

I only raise the issue not because I support or even intend to vote for her but because I think there are far more concrete and sufficient example of wrong doing to criticize her for (in my opinion). And I already anticipate her Citizens United promise to be just as Obama's Gitmo promise was.
post #1379 of 3334
On the other front:

Russian government bodies have been hit by a "professional" cyber attack, according to the country's intelligence service, which said the attack targeted state organizations and defense companies, as well as Russia's "critically important infrastructures"

Can WWIII very well take place or begin in cyberspace ? alien.gif
post #1380 of 3334
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

That's not a strawman, it's a nod to the legality of what she did. Bringing up a shady relationship might imply otherwise. So now that the investment is made, what do you anticipate the return to be?

I only raise the issue not because I support or even intend to vote for her but because I think there are far more concrete and sufficient example of wrong doing to criticize her for (in my opinion). And I already anticipate her Citizens United promise to be just as Obama's Gitmo promise was.

A nod to the legality? That's only pertinent if there had been an accusation of illegality and there was nothing even close to that. Straw man is made of straw.

What do I anticipate the return is? A Blackstone bigwig in the Clinton administration. That won't be just for this swanky party but rather many years of opening doors and writing cheques.

As to concrete...she says these people are bad people but takes their money and is actually pretty chummy with them for years. That's pretty concrete in terms of her being just as shitty as the rest of them and far less than honest in her rhetoric.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS