• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My shoe choice

Barry

Reaction score
I was looking for low to moderately priced, casual, comfortable shoes that go with chinos. I already ordered these, which are probably on the low priced side. Soles like those shoes have make some plain toe shoes look like boots, and flat leather soles make some plain toe shoes look too dressy. I think the moccasin toe I chose works. I rejected shoes that didn't have padding in back at the top because my achilles tendon area would hurt really bad when I walked too far in my previous casual shoes that didn't have padding there.

So what do you think of my choice? I hate Kohls because I heard that anything not on sale is overpriced. I was always suspicious of their almost constant sales on practically everything. It makes me feel that I have to wait for a sale, and I don't want to shop like that. But those shoes seem OK.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barry,

Welcome to styleforum. I don't know how much you've lurked here, but I'm going to assume that you're new. If that's the case, you, your wardrobe and your wallet have a choice to make. You can either step away from this place and pretend you've never seen it; or you can stay and learn from the array of experience and taste here.

The truth is that people who stay and post here do so to celebrate their consumption of style, not comfort; their expenditure, not their economy; and the exclusiveness of their clothes, not the availability.

What this means for you is that if you stay here, after two weeks or two months, you'll hate those shoes. You'll hate the sole, you'll hate the brand, you'll hate that you got them at Kohls, you'll even dislike the padded heel that you find comfortable now. Worst of all, you'll hate that you spent $50 on shoes, and that you didn't save for better ones.

On the bright side, you'll have different ideas of where, when and what to buy, and how much to spend. It's more work than you do now, but it'll seem worth it to you. And the next time you post a link to shoes, someone will reply with a 'Nice find' or 'I have those and I love them.'

This time, that's not happening. But welcome, and enjoy the ride.

Edit: zappos.com might have been a better place to look than Kohls.

Originally Posted by Barry
I was looking for low to moderately priced, casual, comfortable shoes that go with chinos. I already ordered \\these, which are probably on the low priced side. Soles like those shoes have make some plain toe shoes look like boots, and flat leather soles make some plain toe shoes look too dressy. I think the moccasin toe I chose works. I rejected shoes that didn't have padding in back at the top because my achilles tendon area would hurt really bad when I walked too far in my previous casual shoes that didn't have padding there.

So what do you think of my choice? I hate Kohls because I heard that anything not on sale is overpriced. I was always suspicious of their almost constant sales on practically everything. It makes me feel that I have to wait for a sale, and I don't want to shop like that. But those shoes seem OK.

Barry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
people who stay and post here do so to celebrate their consumption of style, not comfort; their expenditure, not their economy; and the exclusiveness of their clothes, not the availability.
I agree with the "consumption of style" part, but I just read one recent thread about shoes on this forum where some pictures were posted of standard styles that could be found in all price ranges. Other pictures showed shoes that the original poster didn't like, and neither did I. Then there was the negative opinion about square toe lace ups, which I had never heard before except about dress shoes. I see tons of casual square toe lace ups sold in all kinds of stores. You can read opinions of them on other forums. See http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...in&btnG=Search

What this means for you is that if you stay here, after two weeks or two months, you'll hate those shoes. You'll hate the sole, you'll hate the brand, you'll hate that you got them at Kohls, you'll even dislike the padded heel that you find comfortable now. Worst of all, you'll hate that you spent $50 on shoes, and that you didn't save for better ones.
Again, I only agree that the first one is possible. I don't know how others think they look, which matters, but the other things are fine with me. This may be a special interest group though, so you may be right about this particular forum.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, I only agree that the first one is possible. I don't know how others think they look, which matters, but the other things are fine with me. This may be a special interest group though, so you may be right about this particular forum.

I'll give you my opinion - they are generic, style-less shoes. They're not ugly, but they're not good in any way. They're built like an outdoor shoe, but they're clearly not ready for the outdoors. They're a Suzuki Samurai SUV, in car terms. You could get Woolrich chukkas for the same price, and they'd look much better, because their design matches their function. They also look like you don't care about your shoes - which is clearly not the case.

jkennett

Reaction score
There are a couple of things I think that need to be clarified. First of all, the problem in my personal opinion is not the price of those shoes. The problem lies in the quality! Those shoes you chose are made in China of inferior leather and will die within a year (or two if you're really lucky and really light on your feet). Thus, you've spent $50 for a year of shoe. If you managed to purchase a shoe of higher quality for a little more, then you would probably get more life out said shoe. The first step for most people is to start purchasing shoes that have the soles stitched on, so that they can be resoled in the future. There are a multitude of different income brackets in this forum. There are those who are "rich", but choose to bargain shop instead of purchasing items at retail price. There are also the broke, unemployed students here. Yet, the stressed point with most of the men's clothing is "quality". A little bit of research will probably make you pissed off at your uninformed purchases in the past. You'll also learn where you can purchase shoes and clothing of really high quality for surprisingly low prices. I suppose my point is that quality is stressed, not necessarily price.

jkennett

Reaction score
I'll give you my opinion - they are generic, style-less shoes. They're not ugly, but they're not good in any way. They're built like an outdoor shoe, but they're clearly not ready for the outdoors. They're a Suzuki Samurai SUV, in car terms. You could get Woolrich chukkas for the same price, and they'd look much better, because their design matches their function. They also look like you don't care about your shoes - which is clearly not the case.

+1

Barry

Reaction score
That's kind of the look I want. I prefer not to wear something that fits a style exactly, like typical moccasins or tassle loafers or something like that. I want something that's casual and practical for wearing every day (but I won't) without looking like I want to be fashionable, but that goes with chinos better than sneakers. Maybe this is the wrong forum for that, but it's kind of like a style I'm going for.

I've seen lots of "style-less" shoes that I rejected because they looked too casual and generic, like something a 1920's bum would wear. Some other very popular plain toe styles look like they may be boots until you sit and see they're shorter. The moccasin toe adds something to my choice, and so does the decorative stitching (the three X stitches).

I was considering ankle boots, which I think are the same height as chukkas, but I read that ankle boots are for cold weather, so I figured they wouldn't look right in the summer. And chukkas have that chukka look, and I'm trying to avoid named styles (oxfords would be OK because I've seen so many types of oxfords that I don't know what an oxford is.) And some chukkas look like boots, which are too casual.

Those shoes you chose are made in China of inferior leather and will die within a year (or two if you're really lucky and really light on your feet). Thus, you've spent $50 for a year of shoe
I actually don't mind that, as long as they don't look it to most people.

Barry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
The first step for most people is to start purchasing shoes that have the soles stitched on, so that they can be resoled in the future.
Zoom in and you'll see that uppers are stitched on, unless it's decorative stitching.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be easy on the gentleman. He's simply not a materialist like some on here.

jkennett

Reaction score
Zoom in and you'll see that uppers are stitched on, unless it's decorative stitching.

The shoe is glued together, and then the stitching is glued into place to make it appear to be of higher quality than it is. The shoes are wretched, and it appears that we can't nicely make this point to you. As you have previously mentioned, I really do not think this is the forum for you. If you are happy living in your mediocrity, I would step away from the clothing forums and go about your life. I have the feeling that it is best to quit now, before this becomes some sort of sick troll.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's kind of the look I want. I prefer not to wear something that fits a style exactly, like typical moccasins or tassle loafers or something like that. I want something that's casual and practical for wearing every day (but I won't) without looking like I want to be fashionable, but that goes with chinos better than sneakers. Maybe this is the wrong forum for that, but it's kind of like a style I'm going for.
The problem with that approach is that both ends of the spectrum suffer. Not casual enough to be truly 'casual', not dressy enough to wear with any kind of suit/pants+sport jacket combo. They are simultaneously the most 'flexible' choice, while remaining the least 'usable' choice. You would seriously be better off with a double-sole country shoe a la Tricker's or Alden (or something in that style). It will have a sturdy, outdoorsy appearance, yet not look like a lame hybrid shoe.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barry - I think the point here is clear: those shoes are pretty indefensible.
That doesn't make anyone a bad person, or make the original post a troll.

The shoe is glued together, and then the stitching is glued into place to make it appear to be of higher quality than it is. The shoes are wretched, and it appears that we can't nicely make this point to you. As you have previously mentioned, I really do not think this is the forum for you. If you are happy living in your mediocrity, I would step away from the clothing forums and go about your life. I have the feeling that it is best to quit now, before this becomes some sort of sick troll.

Barry

Reaction score
The shoe is glued together, and then the stitching is glued into place to make it appear to be of higher quality than it is.
Do you think that because of the price and brand or because of the looks?
The shoes are wretched.
Same question.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think that because of the price and brand or because of the looks?

Well most will say higher quality shoes have a hand-stitched sole. In the pics of the shoes you posted, you can see that the sole is not stitched to the shoe and that the stitching on the top does not actually go down into the rubber sole to keep it in place. It is purely decorative stitching.

Barry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Well most will say higher quality shoes have a hand-stitched sole. In the pics of the shoes you posted, you can see that the sole is not stitched to the shoe and that the stitching on the top does not actually go down into the rubber sole to keep it in place. It is purely decorative stitching.

I'm not sure that would be true for non-leather soles, which could be molded into almost any shape. Actual stitching in synthetic soled shoes may look like the (possibly) fake stitching in the ones I ordered.

I read that glued soles are more flexible and waterproof that stitched-on soles, the only bad side being you can't replace the sole. I guess stitches are stronger too. Anyway, I wonder what responses I'd get if I just posted this picture and asked for comments.

shoe.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads