or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Magnanni Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Magnanni Appreciation Thread - Page 6

post #76 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by J o s h View Post

I was in Neiman Marcus today and was a bit surprised to see that there is a Magnanni for Neiman Marcus line. One shoe is worth mentioning: a cherry red lace-up with dark burnishing in the toe. A really nice-looking shoe that seems to be similar in quality to the regular Magnanni line.

If you're able, have a look at the shoes they make for Bergdorf Goodman as well, both the Magnanni for Bergdorf Goodman and BG-branded shoes that say "made in Spain" and look like Magnanni.  These tend to be their top-of-the-line products and are a cut above the Neiman Marcus stuff (but that's just my opinion).  I have a pair of "Magnanni for BG" single monks in burgundy with an austerity brogue pattern.  Thicker, sturdier sole than standard Magnanni shoes and with the closed channel they often use on the Seleccion-tier shoes.  I also have a pair of BG-branded shoes that are clearly Magnanni.  They are identical to the Magnanni model "Tiron" from a few years back, albeit with a slightly rounder toe.  Made to look like big, heavy English country brogues with a thick leather sole.  Both these are standard Blake construction rather than the Bologna construction Magnanni tends to favor for their mid-range stuff.  The big brogue is made to look like it's welted and I was indeed fooled...for about 5 seconds till I looked inside and saw the Blake stitching.  

 

Admittedly, there really isn't much by Magnanni at BG at the moment but that might change by next season.

post #77 of 91
Magnanni seems to have upped its game of late. I picked up some Santiagos and was duly impressed.
post #78 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by knittieguy View Post

Magnanni seems to have upped its game of late. I picked up some Santiagos and was duly impressed.

Yeah, the brand gets an unduly bad rap on this site.  No, they're not in the same tier as top-shelf English welted shoes or the bespoke stuff people go nuts for.  Yes, they make some heinously ugly models with elf-toes and excessive detailing.  But when they're on their game, you get a great shoe for a fraction of the price of some other brands.  I like my Santiagos (the cognac is a wonderful color) and particularly love a pair of "Aldan" perforated wholecuts I picked up for a song on Amazon.  Beautiful shoes.

post #79 of 91
The Golosalvo in cognac also looks nice. On the other hand, the Jael looks like something out of a cheap horror movie. To me, anyway.
post #80 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by knittieguy View Post

The Golosalvo in cognac also looks nice. On the other hand, the Jael looks like something out of a cheap horror movie. To me, anyway.

Yup, that's Magnanni for you:  "Oh, that one looks nice.  Oh God, that one looks horrible!  Avert your eyes, children!"

post #81 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masry View Post
 

If you're able, have a look at the shoes they make for Bergdorf Goodman as well, both the Magnanni for Bergdorf Goodman and BG-branded shoes that say "made in Spain" and look like Magnanni.  These tend to be their top-of-the-line products and are a cut above the Neiman Marcus stuff (but that's just my opinion).  I have a pair of "Magnanni for BG" single monks in burgundy with an austerity brogue pattern.  Thicker, sturdier sole than standard Magnanni shoes and with the closed channel they often use on the Seleccion-tier shoes.  I also have a pair of BG-branded shoes that are clearly Magnanni.  They are identical to the Magnanni model "Tiron" from a few years back, albeit with a slightly rounder toe.  Made to look like big, heavy English country brogues with a thick leather sole.  Both these are standard Blake construction rather than the Bologna construction Magnanni tends to favor for their mid-range stuff.  The big brogue is made to look like it's welted and I was indeed fooled...for about 5 seconds till I looked inside and saw the Blake stitching.  

 

Admittedly, there really isn't much by Magnanni at BG at the moment but that might change by next season.


Thanks for the tip. I will take a look!

post #82 of 91
Picked these up for a steal today at $75 new in box. Black double monks. Gorgeous!

post #83 of 91

Wearing a pair of Bergdorf Goodman by Magnanni brogue oxfords built on one of Magnanni's few (only?) traditional, roomy, round-toe lasts.  A current derby model called "Berto" looks like it's constructed on the same last with the same toe medallion and wing.

 

Big heavy leather sole and an oversized heel with a faux-360 degree welt (the shoe is actually Blake-constructed).  With the slight patina, it's basically a fashionable take on an English country brogue.

 

 

post #84 of 91
^^^^congrats they look very very nice
post #85 of 91
Thread Starter 

Great looking model. I noticed the models carried by Bergdorf and Nieman tend to be more traditional and a little more english. 

post #86 of 91

Magnanni for Bergdorf Goodman.  Single monks with a blind-brogue design.  I don't generally like buckle shoes or blind brogues but I like the deep burgundy color enough to pick these up.  Closed channel sole with a faux-welt but, yes, it's Blake-constructed.  This construction is typical of their Seleccion line, I think.

 

 

post #87 of 91

A one-off from eBay: the Sergio model from their basic line made as a Seleccion shoe, i.e. with better leather and a unique patina.

 

post #88 of 91
Those rubber or leather soles? (I'm guessing rubber? The soles on my mid-brown single monks are the same color)
post #89 of 91
Regular leather soles. Presumably the same soles as the normal Sergio.
post #90 of 91
Ah! Gorgeous shoes!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Magnanni Appreciation Thread