• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes color and pants color

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys ..

With black pants what color shoes would you wear?

With navy pants?

With gray pants?

thanks a bunch.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would wear black shoes with black and grey pants, or different shades of brown with navy ones.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys .. With black pants what color shoes would you wear? With navy pants? With gray pants? thanks a bunch.
An Italian would tell you to wear brown with all three.
blush.gif
koji

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(MilanoStyle @ 15 Sep. 2004, 8:44) Guys .. With black pants what color shoes would you wear? With navy pants? With gray pants? thanks a bunch.
An Italian would tell you to wear brown with all three.
blush.gif
koji
Brown shoes with black pants .. is not it little dangerous?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
With the black pants, black shoes, with navy and gray I think you could go with either black or brown shoes depending on ensemble/mood.

Phil

Reaction score
Being Italian, I would have to agree with Koji's comment on brown shoes with black, grey and blue trousers. I have always done exactly that, and while I will admit I get the occasional comment about it here in the USA, over in Italy, you rarely if ever see a man wearing black shoes. I will say though, that the shade of brown is imporant when it comes to black trousers. I prefer the lighter tan shades, or the very deep dark chocolate shades. Some shades in between dont seem to look as good to me with black trousers, but thats just my personal opinion. Im sure it could be pulled off just fine under the right circumstances.

To be honest, I dont understand what the fuss is about concerning brown shoes with black pants. I doubt I could find one person on this forum who doesnt think black and tan isnt a classic combination. Why wouldnt that extend to shoes and trousers?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being Italian, I would have to agree with Koji's comment on brown shoes with black, grey and blue trousers.  I have always done exactly that, and while I will admit I get the occasional comment about it here in the USA, over in Italy, you rarely if ever see a man wearing black shoes.  I will say though, that the shade of brown is imporant when it comes to black trousers. I prefer the lighter tan shades, or the very deep dark chocolate shades.  Some shades in between dont seem to look as good to me with black trousers, but thats just my personal opinion. Im sure it could be pulled off just fine under the right circumstances.  

To be honest, I dont understand what the fuss is about concerning brown shoes with black pants.  I doubt I could find one person on this forum who doesnt think black and tan isnt a classic combination.  Why wouldnt that extend to shoes and trousers?
Certainly where beer is concerned, I would agree. I think the only time I've actually seen an Italian gentleman wearing a suit with black shoes was at a funeral. Is there some negative connotation with wearing black in Italy? (akin to wearing white in Japan)?

koji

Phil

Reaction score
I dont think there is anything negative associated with black shoes in Italy. I think its simply that Italians feel that black shoes should be reserved for the absolute most formal affairs. Those include funerals, weddings (at night), black tie. Other than that, we love our brown shoes so much we wear them with everything we own.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently I own black dress shoes only. I love to expand my shoe collection with dark chest nut color shoes .. I love those color.

Phil

Reaction score
i dont mind black dress shoes, and own a few pair. I just dont think the have the "soul" of brown shoes. The way they age, the little scuff marks, the discolorations, etc. just cant be duplicated in black. Perhaps i am wrong, but I truly feel that my brown shoes look better with age, while my black ones look worse with age.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not an expert by any means, but a nice chili would be rather fitting with a navy or taupe, or green, but BLACK, wow, brown with black, that is BOLD....i am sure i would never recommend that to my customers, not Americans anyway.

aramg

Reaction score
Now that we've gotten talking about black shoes, I'd like to know, how steadfast is everyone with regards to wearing black shoes only in the evening? I've read in a few places that anything other than black is inappropriate after 6pm in some older circles.

Tom

Reaction score
Oxblood with any of the above. Makes for a nice preppy look. I just ordered a pair of AE Chester's in oxblood. Looking forward to getting them.

Black shoes are fine with anything by today's standards. I wear my black AE Byrons under virtually any circumstances.

-Tom

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics