• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing vintage clothing?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought this might make for an interesting topic. How does one best wear vintage clothing? I got together with an old friend of mine yesterday, who wears only vintage-- and wears it head to toe (from the fedora to the lizard monk straps). He only selects clothing that fits him, and looks for handmade buttonholes and pick stitching, but can vintage be overdone? or is it best incorporating one or two vintage pieces in an outfit?

My friend wore the following:

brown beaver felt fedora, very moderate width brim
midnight blue silk suit (I guessed wool and mohair, but it was a very nice silk suit) with shawl collar and silk piping on the trousers. I'm convinced it was a tuxedo, but he said it definitely was not, and the piece was likely from the 20s.
black monk lizard and croc shoes
white shirt (I noticed later the collar was burned by a drycleaner at some point in its long life)
navy and red woven tie
trafalgar braces

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I prefer vintage in small doses. I have a couple of vintage hats, quite a few pocket squares, a few ties, a number of cufflinks and some vintage coats. I think those things can be worked in well without going overboard.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't discriminate between vintage and recent in pulling it together for the day. I am particular when it comes to signs of wear. One thing with visible wear or slight fraying is plenty. Everything else should be in good condition.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with Alan, I think small doses of vintage are best otherwise it looks like a costume. Then again, I would say the same about dressing head-to-toe in any one designer whether it was vintage or modern.

P.S. And yes, I've been MIA. The new job combined with school and family are killing me right now
smile.gif

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
My friend wore the following:

brown beaver felt fedora, very moderate width brim
midnight blue silk suit (I guessed wool and mohair, but it was a very nice silk suit) with shawl collar and silk piping on the trousers. I'm convinced it was a tuxedo, but he said it definitely was not, and the piece was likely from the 20s.
black monk lizard and croc shoes
white shirt (I noticed later the collar was burned by a drycleaner at some point in its long life)
navy and red woven tie
trafalgar braces

That's a bit much for my taste; too much like costume. I wear things from as early as the 20s, but it's just part of the rotation.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people can get away with anything.

Whatever you do, just look like you're doing it on purpose.

If you want to be a costume museum exhibit, just be the best costume museum exhibit you can be.

This is what I tried to do with 40s sportswear when I was in college, a quarter century ago.

Now I have a lot of sixties pieces that are an influence on contemporary style. I mix and match. The past comments on the present and vice versa.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I wear vintage regularly but I like to keep it relevent to the current times so I usually only wear it in small doses or timeless styles. I don't like the look of costume.

That's exactly how I feel, and I was even going to use the word costume. Affected is another word I would use for some who do this. If we're talking about basically timeless vintage -- plain black shoes, a simple suit cut that doesn't scream 1940s, etc. -- then it's probably not a big deal. If I wear out my NOS Samuelsohn black and cream houndstooth suit (not sure of the age), NOS black J&M Aristocraft wingtips (1940s or 1950s, complete with $17.50 price tag!), a vintage Sulka tie, and one of my vintage overcoats, nobody would bat an eye because none of them stands out as being from any particular time period. I've seen some, though, who dress not just vintage but from a certain period, and very obviously so. It certainly doesn't bother me that others do it, but it also isn't for me.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My feeling, and I know it is not a popular one on here, is that I would only wear vintage clothing if it belonged to somebody in my own family or a close friend. Exceptions would be cufflinks, overcoats and perhaps something formal.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As much as possible, I prefer vintage goods, especially vintage luxury goods. I'd go out of my way to buy a vintage luxury good than easily purchase something new.

However, I prefer to wear vintage things with modern things, specifically very modern items by perhaps what you'd characterize as avant-garde designers. A no better combination than Carol Christian Poell and '50s Hermes.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as with most everyone here, i especially like to wear them in small doses along with modern/new stuff. i think too much can make you look like a hippe, drug dealer, bum, or all of the above.

SantaCruzGuy

Reaction score
You guys should only wear vintage zoot suits from the 1940's with vintage spectator shoes on Sundays.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don`t like the idea of wearing used clothing, so vintage is out of the question for me. Too much vintage = costume in my opinion.

The best way to do it is to get clothes that are vintage inspired, or use vintage material to make new clothes.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I don`t like the idea of wearing used clothing, so vintage is out of the question for me. Too much vintage = costume in my opinion.

The best way to do it is to get clothes that are vintage inspired, or use vintage material to make new clothes.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads